• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Line Up and Wait (for it)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
It's not wildly different for the P-3 guys. Fly at just about any field that doesn't have American controllers and you'll run into this. It'll probably take me by surprise the first time I hear a tower in the United States say this but I'll only laugh if they can manage to say it with an Italian or Djiboutian accent.

Just as long as they don't start using the Italian method of PAR controlling we should be fine. Funniest thing I've ever had one say, "on de glideslope, on de course, ah don't touch a nothin'" followed by silence. Glad we had broken out by then.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So I had to sign a new read and initial yesterday saying that the Tower controllers at Navy Jax will start using the term "line up and wait" vice "position and hold" starting in the new FY. The alleged reason is that the FAA has changed the "standard" terminology to be more in-line with ICAO terminology. Supposedly this will help prevent confusion for those pilots that fly internationally. I have personally never heard the term "line up and wait" while flying over seas; granted my international experience is limited to Bahrain and Dubai. I'm just curious what those of you that fly internationally alot feel about the change. Do you really think the differences in the terminology is that confusing? I have a feeling that the people that deal with both ICAO and FAA procedures on a routine basis are experienced enough that the use of either of those terms isn't going to leave them baffled. I forsee it creating more confusion for Joe Cesna Pilot and potentially leading to an increase, albeit temporary, in runway incursions/confusion until the new standard catches on. Thoughts?

Merged threads. As has been said, it's pretty much everywhere BUT the U.S. that you hear this.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Merged threads. As has been said, it's pretty much everywhere BUT the U.S. that you hear this.

I don't remember them saying that in Iraq....never mind, it's was during the occupation. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't remember them saying that in Iraq....never mind, it's was during the occupation. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

They didn't say it in Haiti, either, but it was the FAA that was running the show...after a couple of weeks.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
It's not wildly different for the P-3 guys. Fly at just about any field that doesn't have American controllers and you'll run into this. It'll probably take me by surprise the first time I hear a tower in the United States say this but I'll only laugh if they can manage to say it with an Italian or Djiboutian accent.

Just as long as they don't start using the Italian method of PAR controlling we should be fine. Funniest thing I've ever had one say, "on de glideslope, on de course, ah don't touch a nothin'" followed by silence. Glad we had broken out by then.

Actually the hardest part will be trying not to respond in a mock Italian accent, "A-line up-ah and ah-wait"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Actually the hardest part will be trying not to respond in a mock Italian accent, "A-line up-ah and ah-wait"

Or one day a year, "Line up and wait, arrrrrrr!" :pirate_12

(see if the smiley comes out right)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It was kinda' "funny" overseas ... when the tower-guys (US contract people) would occasionally 'apologize' for using ICAO instead of 'standard' US phraseology ...

Always 'good' to hear a TEXAS or OK 'accent' in the tower or on approach @ Hong Kong ... :)

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I am getting to old for this crap...First it was changing the designations for airspace (TCA became Class B, Positive Control Area became Class A, etc...), then the age 65 rule change, new time and duty regs out by next summer...Now this...I will be screwing this up for a bit...All to become ICAO compliant.