• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life of Supply Officer

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Supply Officer duties

I just got shot down on my second attempt to get SWO. I am looking into Supply now. I was told that as a Supply Officer, I would still get a chance to earn a SWO pin and work on the bridge. And before someone tells me not to be so hung up on getting anything SWO, I am not. I am willing to try anything that the Navy will accept me for considering my status. But I want to know how much opportunity I would have to achieve other things to enhance my qualifications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off, you will not be able to get a SWO pin. Supply officers do have the opportunity to earn a warfare pin...actually, there are a couple you can earn. The first, is similiar to a SWO qual with the exception of certain watchstations you have to qualify (i.e. small boat officer, CIC Watch O, or OOD). Basically, you learn some SWO stuff, have a board, and get your pin. This is not to say you can't get those other quals. Actually, I recommend that you do. Get your OOD qual (which in turn, requires other quals as a prerequisite) and get in the watch rotation with the other SWO's. They'll love you for it! If you get on a carrier you will have the opportunity at two warfare pins. The first is the one I just described. The second is aviation related.

Bottom line, the opportunities are there. You just have to take advantage of them.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thanks, Steve. That helped clear up some of my confusion. As long as I am eligible to qualify for various things, I will have no problem taking advantage of the opportunities. Thanks again.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
IMO, supply is an OUTSTANDING way to serve the navy. NO other NAVY designator has higher job earning prospects post military than supply. Not only do they pay for your MBA while you are a supply officer, but you can get several warfare quals.

It is typical to be managing 50-75 men/women straight out of Athens, as well as oversee millions of dollars of equipment. A supply officer has HUGE responsiblities. Employers look highly upon this.

As far as the warfare pins, they are not easy to get. It takes a good deal of preparation and dedication to earn them.

If you are interested in the supply community, I would call your NRD and see if they can set you up with a supply officer to shadow for a day.

navyjeff94

Final Select for Supply - 23 Apr 05 class
I got my ESWS pin while I was on active duty. I wonder if they (the powers that be) will let me participate in SWO. I'm told that I will keep all of my quals from my enlistment...although I will have to requal in many areas.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thanks, Godspeed. I didn't know that I could observe an officer at the job. I'll ask my recruiter if he can set that up for me.

smell the glove said:
"It is typical to be managing 50-75 men/women straight out of Athens"

That's a major stretch. Try 10-30 sailors.

I am 5 months out of Athens and I have operational authority over 65 and administrative authority over 153 members.

:icon_mi_1

kray1395

iluvpoopies said:
I am 5 months out of Athens and I have operational authority over 65 and administrative authority over 153 members.

Ha!! That's classic.

Hey smell...... do you like apples???

Classic.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
iluvpoopies said:

Carrier?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
iluvpoopies said:

Well, a couple things that are unusual about your case. One, it is not typcial for supply officers to go work with the Seabees. Not in the sense that it rarely happens, but in the sense that few get to do it, in comparision to other "typical" supply jobs. Also, it is not typical to be supervising 65 or 150 people, even if you did happen to be on a carrier. I don't really know what you mean though when you say 65 operational and 150 administrative. What does that mean?

sgk

What are the chances of getting assigned to the Seabees as a supply officer, and what is this job like (Do you get the chance to obtain the seabee combat warfare qualification)? Sorry for going off the subject.

Not only do few get to do it, but few want to do it. (It is highly discouraged in Athens, or at least it was 6 months ago.) There are 8 active duty battalions and we get 2 year orders, and 4 classes go through Athens a year, so pretty much on average there is one Seabee billet per class.

I have 65 ppl in S4 (Supply) I am Disbo, FSO, Postal, Barracks, FSSA, etc in my role as S4A. Also, I did not have an SKC until this week so I was playing a large role in the SK side of the house, which is not typical of a S4A. Basically I have 24 SKs, 24 CSs, and 10-15 DKs, PCs, SHs, etc (and ONE CSCS!) Now that I have an SKC my involvement on the SK side of the house should decrees dramatically, but I will still have about 40 members under me.

I am also the Headquarters company commander... that is where the administrative control comes in. I have admin, operations, supply, coms, training, chaps, dental, legal, medical, and embark under me (at least as far as the XO is concerned) this is kind of a gray area, bc these ppl are in so many jobs in so many departments, it basically falls back to the way the Seabees do business. I basically pass the word to the members, voice their concerns to the command, conduct inspections, and am held responsible for their actions as far as Weapons cleaning, PT, evals, etc are concerned.

All in all it is a great job that I would not want to trade for anything. I am getting an amazing amount of responsibility, experience, and support for an Ensign. Instructors in Athens make Seabees sound like a horrible career move (how can your first tour kill a career?) but I highly recommend it for anyone who has a chance to get orders as an S4A.

And I'm working on a pin without an oak leaf on the front of it =) How many Chops get to fire a MK19 or a M203B =)

Peace, Love, and Poopies

sgk

sounds like a great experience. Since its not very sought after, would it be pretty easy to get a slot with the seabees out of Athens if you do well in school?