• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life of a JO depending on Path...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
annie
Notice one thing about this thread. Check the profiles on the people who posted above and you will find a surface officer, plenty of aviators, of course, at least one female, current enlisted guys and prior enlisted guys, academy grads, NROTC grads and OCS guys, and both junior and senior officers. I think you hit the mother lode of credibility and breadth of experience.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and even the breadth of it, too.

Thanks. Found another typo, fixed both. Did I ever tell you I was never assigned another job in admin after a typo on a change of command invitation (ENS PAO)? 20+ years of maintenance and ops suited me just fine.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks. Found another typo, fixed both. Did I ever tell you I was never assigned another job in admin after a typo on a change of command invitation (ENS PAO)? 20+ years of maintenance and ops suited me just fine.

Must have been one hell of a typo...but then again I'm sure everyone had lots of fun at the Charge of Commando party.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Must have been one hell of a typo...but then again I'm sure everyone had lots of fun at the Charge of Commando party.
Back when we had Gutenberg Presses in the CV print shop, I missed a type set error that spelled command canmand. The change of command was deployed, underway. Of course the skipper was first to find the error. I was able to catch the outgoing mail, but all the on board invites had gone out. The CO made me go to every invitee, squadron CO, Ship's captain, CAG, the admiral and all embarked staffs and retrieve the offending invites and apologize for my error. That was not fun, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Most guys hadn't seen the error and I was just pointing it out to them. Some even privately confided that the CO was making too big a deal of it requiring me to personally apologize and account for every invite. In the end, that CO treated me pretty well though. He didn't hold it against me. He even made a personal request I be a RAG instructor when he was RAG CO.
Still, no more admin assignments for me. :D

annie8080

certified college nerd
annie
Notice one thing about this thread. Check the profiles on the people who posted above and you will find a surface officer, plenty of aviators, of course, at least one female, current enlisted guys and prior enlisted guys, academy grads, NROTC grads and OCS guys, and both junior and senior officers. I think you hit the mother lode of credibility and breadth of experience.

I really appreciate all the responses. Piacevole (she is new to the blog too) and myself have been discussing some of these topics together. Mainly we want to be able to challenge ourselves and our moral character, and we want to be able to use what we learned at OCS to become respected officers in whatever designation we receive. It is encouraging to hear from so many with experience. Thanks again from the newbies.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That is what I was hoping to hear. I am first generation military in my family so, still learning the ropes from what sources I can. I was hoping it was personal character that made the officer.

Thanks again everyone

I am first generation military military in my family as well.

As an aviator in the TRACOM, my life consists of me flying, working out (on my own time and choice), studying, drinking, loafing off and sleeping. Not necessarily in that order. As an officer (at least in aviation), it seems as long as you GET THE JOB DONE, there isn't much breathing down your neck.

Not a bad life, IMHO....

Character always makes the officer. If someone slips through the cracks, I'm sure they'll eventually generate the reputation of being a douchebag.

trogdor

pilot
Back when we had Gutenberg Presses in the CV print shop, I missed a type set error that spelled command canmand. The change of command was deployed, underway. Of course the skipper was first to find the error. I was able to catch the outgoing mail, but all the on board invites had gone out. The CO made me go to every invitee, squadron CO, Ship's captain, CAG, the admiral and all embarked staffs and retrieve the offending invites and apologize for my error. That was not fun, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Most guys hadn't seen the error and I was just pointing it out to them. Some even privately confided that the CO was making too big a deal of it requiring me to personally apologize and account for every invite. In the end, that CO treated me pretty well though. He didn't hold it against me. He even made a personal request I be a RAG instructor when he was RAG CO.
Still, no more admin assignments for me. :D

Things haven't changed that much, apparently the 60S Natops was issued "under the direction of the CAMMANDER, Naval Air Systems Command"

Oh and just in case you get shot down over the hills of West Virginia, there is a DESTRUCTIN notice on the front cover too.

magnetfreezer

Things haven't changed that much, apparently the 60S Natops was issued "under the direction of the CAMMANDER, Naval Air Systems Command"

Oh and just in case you get shot down over the hills of West Virginia, there is a DESTRUCTIN notice on the front cover too.

While using L-22 to plan a route around the ELGIN MOA's and recording the fuel on the back of the jet log under APPPROACHES, the back of the whiz wheel puts the wind dot in the TILE WIND half of the dial. Maybe they are trying to save money by hiring the NW Florida school system to run the print shops.