• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life of a JO depending on Path...

annie8080

certified college nerd
Hi Everyone,

I have a few basic questions about the life of a Junior Office depending on which path to a commission you choose. A little background: I am a junior in college and I decided to pursue a commission about a year ago. At that point, it seemed a bit late to apply to the Academy, since I already completed two years of school. In addition, my college does not have NROTC. I heard about OCS while interning in DC and it sounded like a great idea. I am currently awaiting the April board.

I am just wondering if there is a difference in respect levels of officers depending on which program they received their commission through. It seems obvious to me that graduates from the Academy would receive more respect, since it is such an honorable tradition. A few of the blogs on here imply that OCS grads are lucky if they get a "rubber boat and a paddle" :eek:.

Is it the commissioning program that makes the officer, or is it his (or her :icon_mi_1) personal character? I am getting the impression that as a Junior Officer from OCS, 21 years old, 120 lbs soaking wet, and wet behind the ears no less, I'll be lucky if they give me a paddle for that rubber boat.

I still want to do my best to serve my country in whichever capacity I can. Just hoping for some insight from men and women who have been in for awhile, graduates from any of the commissioning programs. Thanks for the input. A little encouragement, or just some raw honesty would do us applicants a world of good.

Thanks again

Kycntryboy

pilot
Hi Everyone,

I have a few basic questions about the life of a Junior Office depending on which path to a commission you choose. A little background: I am a junior in college and I decided to pursue a commission about a year ago. At that point, it seemed a bit late to apply to the Academy, since I already completed two years of school. In addition, my college does not have NROTC. I heard about OCS while interning in DC and it sounded like a great idea. I am currently awaiting the April board.

I am just wondering if there is a difference in respect levels of officers depending on which program they received their commission through. It seems obvious to me that graduates from the Academy would receive more respect, since it is such an honorable tradition. A few of the blogs on here imply that OCS grads are lucky if they get a "rubber boat and a paddle" :eek:.

Is it the commissioning program that makes the officer, or is it his (or her :icon_mi_1) personal character? I am getting the impression that as a Junior Officer from OCS, 21 years old, 120 lbs soaking wet, and wet behind the ears no less, I'll be lucky if they give me a paddle for that rubber boat.

I still want to do my best to serve my country in whichever capacity I can. Just hoping for some insight from men and women who have been in for awhile, graduates from any of the commissioning programs. Thanks for the input. A little encouragement, or just some raw honesty would do us applicants a world of good.

Thanks again

I don't know if its community dependent, but in the aviation community (that I've been apart of anyways), no one really care how you got to where you are, all that matters is that you are here. I haven't seen any type of respect not given for anybody based solely on commissioning source. There may be some ribbing that goes on between the three sources, but nothing more than that. I don't even understand the rubber boat and paddle comment unless your talking about SWO's, in which case if there is a group who cares... it's them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A few of the blogs on here imply that OCS grads are lucky if they get a "rubber boat and a paddle"

I've never seen this. There's knuckleheads from all three sources, just like there are good guys from all three sources. If anybody gets picked on more, it's the academy guys, just 'cause.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
@OP: Did you type this with a straight face?

There is a thread running simultaenously with this one, started several days ago, that covers this exact same topic. In fact it is in this forum "Paths to a Commission." It is titled "NROTC vs Academy," but discusses the OCS side of things as well, on the matters you are asking about.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141590

BackOrdered

Contributor

I'd like to know where you got this impression from on this site. I've yet to hear this.

Is it the commissioning program that makes the officer, or is it his (or her :icon_mi_1) personal character?

Leadership isn't a rubber stamp someone else stamps for you to tell you you're a leader. Graduating from the Academy, NROTC, or OCS doesn't make you a leader. Leadership and personal character are only given through life experience and once you become a true leader, you'll know. 4 years of NROTC and the Academy mandates that life experience for 17-18 year olds fresh from high school who need it the most. For OCS, it's assumed that you've done something of significance work or leadership wise by the time you are 21+, you just need to be refined.

I am getting the impression that as a Junior Officer from OCS, 21 years old, 120 lbs soaking wet, and wet behind the ears no less, I'll be lucky if they give me a paddle for that rubber boat.

That to me sounds like an individual who after OCS, knows they aren't a leader and should be very scared whoever they are. After reading many of the posts here, that certainly doesn't reflect OCS grads' self image. It sure won't be mine. Which is why I fail to see how you got that impression from this site.

BigRed389

None
In SWO land, if anything, OCS grads initially get a little more benefit of the doubt, b/c the enlisted guys take the view that your "shit" was as bad, if not worse than their boot camp "shit."

That said, that's just the initial impression. You can always piss it away by being a tool, regardless of commissioning source.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Your life as a JO is more dependent on what designator you choose, because that affects your future. The commissioning path is in the rearview mirror.

That being said, I did OCS because I didn't decide to join the Navy until my last semester of college. There's no shame in that route.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
The only commissioning source that REALLY makes any difference in the fleet is Mustang U - but you can't go there. Not anytime soon, anyway.

Cams1215

the real question is do we get those water wing thingies and a cool helmet (to put stickers on) so we dont drown in case we fall out of the rubber raft.....:D

as my grandpa once told me, "son, dont fall out of your rubber. you wont like the outcome." now as a six year old I thought he meant raft.... only later did I learn he was talking on a completely different subject...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
as my grandpa once told me, "son, dont fall out of your rubber. you wont like the outcome." now as a six year old I thought he meant raft.... only later did I learn he was talking on a completely different subject...
He probably told your parents that too.....6 years later he is telling his grandson :)

Cams1215

grandpa was the one who told me about the helmet and water wings too..... ofcourse he also told me about pancakes and axle grease... grandpa was senile come to think of it

van.howard

Annie8080,
You might get a little ribbing between other officer's of other programs but the I can guarantee you that the people that work for you and depend on you could care less how you became an officer as long as you are taking in interest in them and their carreers.

Van Howard

annie8080

certified college nerd
Annie8080,
You might get a little ribbing between other officer's of other programs but the I can guarantee you that the people that work for you and depend on you could care less how you became an officer as long as you are taking in interest in them and their carreers.

Van Howard

That is what I was hoping to hear. I am first generation military in my family so, still learning the ropes from what sources I can. I was hoping it was personal character that made the officer.

Thanks again everyone

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again

Honestly, in the aviation side the only time we mention where we went to college is when we're sh*t talking about sports. Oh, and funny drinking stories, every commissioning source/college has its own adventure and I enjoy hearing stories from my academy buds and I like sharing mine as well. Some good natured ribbing usually results, but we know it doesn't matter how we got commissioned. Every path has it's own good deals, and we realize that.