• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life in Pensacola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre170

None
I was just final selected for NFO and have a OCS date of Jan 05. My wife and I don't know anything about Pensacola. Would someone please answer the following questions?

1. How is the weather year round (avg hot, avg cold)?
2. Does is rain a lot?
3. Is it really humid, like I imagine Mississippi to be?
4. What is an avg price (to rent) for a 3 bed, 2 bath at least 1700 sq ft house in a nice area close to base...?
5. How modern is the city, do they get fist run movies when they are first run?
6. How big is the city?
7. What Cell phone companies have the best coverage on base?
8. How is the crime rate?
9. What is your overall impression with Pensacola?

Thanks for your time.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
1) Hot, although winters can be a little chilly - depends on where you come from.
2) Yes
3) Very Humid
4) Might want to buy - Pensacola has been listed in one poll as the #1 real estate market for potential. Its still not too expensive though - less than $1000 if you want to rent (best guess)
5) Yes, we have movies with stadium seating
6) I think Escambia and Santa Rosa counties total about 250,000
7) I have Sprint (the new Sanyo phone) and it works fine at Whiting
8) Relatively Low
9) I absolutely love the town. Girlfriend is a big city European and she likes it - actually the two colleges have quite a number of foreign students. Good place if you are married or in your 30's but possibly too slow of a pace if you are single in your twenties - its more of a Jimmy Buffett kind of relaxed lifestyle. Rumor has it that Pensacola has more Delta airline pilots than any city that is not a Delta hub. Cost of living is low, real estate affordable, no state taxes, and was voted as the 3rd most polite city in America.

After you have lived at either Lejeune or Norfolk (or priced the real estate in San Diego...) you will really appreciate PCola.

tali264

As for general impressions of the city - I hated it. I thought it was a dump. Plus....the drivers there are horrible! If you're in a rush...it doesn't pay to be because you'll just get stressed. You must move at their pace - which is SLOW. I lived in Perdido Key and although the beaches there are beautiful, it's far away from anything you want to do (good restaurants, movies, etc). Oh...and we never got our mail on time. It took at least 3 times the normal length of time. We complained about it numerous times and the people there just don't care. As I said before....people are slow and don't care how timely things get done.

Boy....sure sounds bad, huh.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, if you hate P-cola, your time in the Navy/Marine Corps is going to be looong, because this is about as good as it gets. Medium-sized southern town with some of the country's best beaches? Cry me a river.

Drivers are bad here. Guess what? They're bad every single place in the country, just in different ways. In Philly, they think lane lines are suggestions. In LA they go too fast. In NYC they don't go at all.

If you stick around the military, you're going to have many duty stations, so you have to learn to accentuate the positive and take the best out of each location. If you're a city boy in the country--learn to fish. If you're a country boy in the city, take in the art galleries. If you're the type who complains a lot, you'll find fault anywhere. If you know how to take advantage of places, you'll be happy anywhere.

Sabre170

None
Thanks 46Driver,

We are from San Antonio 1.5Million plus. so going to a smaller city would be nice.

We lived in Jacksonville, NC (the armpit of NC) and it was not that bad, once you got used to it.

How is the real estate market for resale after the usual stay in Pens? Or do you suggest starting a rental program?

46Driver

As long as you stay in the $130K - $200k range (where a military officer can afford to buy), you should not have a problem with resale. Last I heard, Gulf Breeze and Navarre were appreciating at 1.5% a month. Renting it out can be a royal pain (been there, done that, not for me again).

I am currently on a 6 month assignment in Europe - ask Phrogdriver more for real-time info. I also recommend Alexis Bolin at ERA Old South for a realtor.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Summer is hot as hell, winter is mild. If you're from the North, the winters are WARM (I loved winter here). If you're from the South and a big pussy when it comes to winter, it'll be freezing. Temps could range from 30 to high 50s throughout the winter. It was rather random.

46Driver

If you're from the Deep South, the summers are WARM. If you're from the North and a big pu$$y when it comes to summer, it be hot as hell. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
46Driver said:
If you're from the Deep South, the summers are WARM. If you're from the North and a big pu$$y when it comes to summer, it be hot as hell. :)

LOL Hahhaha

46Driver

Have fun at PegLeg Pete's this summer and drink one for me. I was a Doer bird myself a few eons ago!

NavyWife2001

Hey there!
Pensacola is not that bad at all. I am from Louisiana, so the weather to me is not that bad. We have 2 seasons, winter and summer :) THis is my first summer here, but I know it isn't any different from LA, hot and humid.
My hubby was commissioned in Feb (he went to OCS also) and we moved as a family to Milton Feb 26. We decided on Milton b/c he is SNA. Since he will be at Whiting the longest it seemed the most economical to us.
There are a few nice subdivisions over on the base side, I know Coral Village and Springfield are one of the newer places over there. Your best bet would be to get a few real estate books if you are going to buy or get an apt book if you are going to rent. I would definitely buy if you are going to be here 2 yrs plus! The houses are reasonably priced. Avg price on a home is probably 110,000. Renting for something that big is about $800.00. If you buy your mortgage will be much cheaper than that!
There are 2 malls, a few movie theaters, bunches of restaurants, like CHili's, Olive Garden and a Bunch of really great restaurants near and on the beach. AND Destin is only 45 min's away which would be a great place to go to the Outlets and the beach all in the same day!
My hubby and I have VERIZON and hate it! The coverage is fine, but they charge you for a bunch of stupid things. IF you are on a budget, don't use them. They are rude too.
There are a lot of churches here too. FYI...Did you know that there is more pew space in Santa Rosa and Escambia Counties that in the WHOLE WORLD!!!! FUNNY!
If you are looking for a Baptist church, Marcus Pointe Baptist is great. If you have kids, they have a fabulous kid's minstry. It is an independent Baptist church.
I hope this helps! You will like living here! Tell your wife to register with the Private Spouses Corner. :)
In Christ,
Nicole <><

Sabre170

None
Thanks Nicole!

I will show Deb your post and encourage her to register. I think she will like it once she gets to know a few of the other spouses.

How is the Officer's Wives Club during the first couple of years with all the schools?

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.