• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life Immediately After OCS

plumadore11

I am currently in the process of applying for commissiong through BDCP. I was wondering, however, about life after graduating from OCS. I understand each case is different and one situation completly unique from the next, but I was hoping to see how life is now for someone on this forums since graduating from OCS.

Questions/Concerns

After OCS, what's next? More job specific training?

How likely is it to be sent on a tour immediately?

How many tours can one expect throughout the duration of a 4 year commitment?

As an officer, you are more like a manager of a business than an employee per say correct?

Anything else you all think is important?

Sorry if these have been addressed, didn't see anything searching.

navy09

None
I assume you're going to be a SWO, since you have a 4 year commitment...

After commissioning, you should report to your ship immediately. They'll send you to SWOSDOC, which is a 4 week school to introduce you to the SWO community.

There's no way to tell how soon you'll go on your first deployment, it depends entirely on timing. You may leave on deployment the day you show up, you may not go for months.

As far as how much you'll be underway, it depends on your ship and where you're stationed. Some ships are gone all the time, some are inport a lot more.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the manager/employee question. Officers are like managers, but you'll be doing a ton of work the first few years getting all of your qualifications. By almost all accounts, being a SWO sucks for the first year.

plumadore11

I assume you're going to be a SWO, since you have a 4 year commitment...

After commissioning, you should report to your ship immediately. They'll send you to SWOSDOC, which is a 4 week school to introduce you to the SWO community.

There's no way to tell how soon you'll go on your first deployment, it depends entirely on timing. You may leave on deployment the day you show up, you may not go for months.

As far as how much you'll be underway, it depends on your ship and where you're stationed. Some ships are gone all the time, some are inport a lot more.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the manager/employee question. Officers are like managers, but you'll be doing a ton of work the first few years getting all of your qualifications. By almost all accounts, being a SWO sucks for the first year.

Thanks for the help. I'm really more interested in information warfare or supply than SWO. Do you know a good website or anything where I could get a realistic look at the jobs and what they entail (besides the navy site)?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the help. I'm really more interested in information warfare or supply than SWO. Do you know a good website or anything where I could get a realistic look at the jobs and what they entail (besides the navy site)?

Check out threads here and you'll find info therein and recommendations for other websites dedicated to those communities

BackOrdered

Contributor

Supply Corps Officers after OCS check into Athens GA. From there, you'll either stay there and do STASH work in Athens or go to either STASH or OHARP else where. You'll do this until you class into the (BQC) which can be sooner or much later depending on when you graduate. I graduated in October and I'm still waiting another 2 months. I recommend STASH at a supply installation somewhere over OHARP. You can learn ALOT about what you will be doing for a living and get an edge over your counterparts vs. bumming at the recruiting district.

Then about half way through supply (BQC) you will get ranked and choose an operational tour accordingly. From there, it depends on the platform. EX: Frigates are pretty challenging since it will be just you and SUPPO (whatever else you do other than supply work varies greatly), Cruisers will have you as either DISBO or FSO, another O-1 as either or, and the SUPPO, and subs are a department head tour right out the gate. That's basically life after OCS for Supply types.

plumadore11

Supply Corps Officers after OCS check into Athens GA. From there, you'll either stay there and do STASH work in Athens or go to either STASH or OHARP else where. You'll do this until you class into the (BQC) which can be sooner or much later depending on when you graduate. I graduated in October and I'm still waiting another 2 months. I recommend STASH at a supply installation somewhere over OHARP. You can learn ALOT about what you will be doing for a living and get an edge over your counterparts vs. bumming at the recruiting district.

Then about half way through supply (BQC) you will get ranked and choose an operational tour accordingly. From there, it depends on the platform. EX: Frigates are pretty challenging since it will be just you and SUPPO (whatever else you do other than supply work varies greatly), Cruisers will have you as either DISBO or FSO, another O-1 as either or, and the SUPPO, and subs are a department head tour right out the gate. That's basically life after OCS for Supply types.

Great info! I appreciate it, now I wish I could understand all the lingo.

Ufoz8mycow

Awesome.

Is it pretty much luck of the draw in terms of where you get stationed?

For instance, say your wife is in a phd program in San Diego... Itd be kinda hard to uproot her and make her transfer to a different school. Would the Navy be able to take something like that into consideration when assigning a station?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
1. Is it pretty much luck of the draw in terms of where you get stationed?

2. For instance, say your wife is in a phd program in San Diego... It'd be kinda hard to uproot her and make her transfer to a different school. Would the Navy be able to take something like that into consideration when assigning a station?

1. Most programs select competitively (top of class gets to choose first of available spots) but it comes down to needs of the Navy.

2. No.

navy09

None
Would the Navy be able to take something like that into consideration when assigning a station?

Absolutely not. You get ranked and you pick what's left when they get to you.

Honestly though, San Diego (and Norfolk) are very large fleet concentration areas and usually have the largest number of billets available.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Here's some insight...I graduated OCS last Friday, and have since been laying on the couch and watching Megyn Kelly do her thing - checking in on Tuesday.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah alright...threadjack....What's the answer to his question if you're SNA? How long after OCS until they send me to Pcola? And if it's a short time, what about all my crap in AZ? I heard it's also possible to be put on temporary duty with your hometown recruiter?