• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

phishnguy

Hey Fantome

Just finished OCC 186 in C-5 and had a damn fun time. I mean it sucked was some good training!Those six-weekers have a cake walk! If for nothing else, the difference in body break down we experienced around week 7-8. If I had a year to recoup after the first 6, I'd come back friggin' superman! Anyways I had GySgt Mack, Bothwell, and Inbody. I'm assuming you had Redfearn, Stewart, and Burks. I thought GYSgts Mack, Bothwell, and Redfearn were the funniest people I've ever met.

Damn good times, but DAMN glad to be commissioned!

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The first 2 or three weeks I averaged under 4 hours of sleep a night. And that is the truth. I was probably just a little under the average for my platoon.

Around week 7 I probably averaged 7 hours a night. I would get up at 0430 for hygene and to get ready for lights, and I would usually BS for a half hour before hitting the rack.

All you really need to prepare for mentally is the first few days. I didn't have any problem with all the yelling or dragging or anything because I just knew it would be there. I was calm as could be and it paid off in spades in some ways.

The latter stuff you will figure out as you go, so trying to prep yourself for it now might just psych you out. Like the 4 hours of sleep thing; if I knew it was going to be like that it would have been worse than just doing it like I did.

NapalmRat

This regards more of your physical fitness. I'm in the reserves right now and got a 270 on my last PFT. I realize that is far from being competent for the OCS which i start in May. So to prepare for that can anyone give me a rigid PT plan that i should start working on in order to be ready for the shock of ocs?

MAC1078

NapalmRat said:
This regards more of your physical fitness. I'm in the reserves right now and got a 270 on my last PFT. I realize that is far from being competent for the OCS which i start in May. So to prepare for that can anyone give me a rigid PT plan that i should start working on in order to be ready for the shock of ocs?

NapalmRat,

Check out the sub-forum of PFT you should find everything that you are looking for.

d_bossart

Just do the candidate circuits and the running schedule on the OCS website. The circuits will help you greatly. I would also suggest doing some speed training like 1/2 mile intervals (work your way up to 6 with short breaks in between) at a track, but dont overdue it and get hurt. Speed workouts will give you shin splints more quickly than anything. Weight training is also good to do after you do the candidate circuits.

Raptor2216

I'm going to cover a couple of things here and I hope it helps those who need it:

First, you can get atleast 6 hours of sleep each night if you have your **** straight and its entirely possible to get even 7 hours of sleep. It all comes down to your habbits and time management. You have about a half hours worth of square away time before lights out and I would suggest you use that time wisely. From 2000 to 2100, unless you are cleaning weapons after some nasty training day, you will have time to square away your trash and get your hygiene done. If you want to have some extra sleep, I would suggest that you get your ass into the head, take a quick but good shower and get right back out. Its little things like that which go a long way. For those of you going back for seniors, know that things are a lot different from juniors. I personally found it to be slightly easier in some respects.

Right off the bat, you will notice that seniors is much more physically demanding. I found that it was mentally much easier. There is so much to accomplish during the 6 weeks, out of which you only train for about 4 weeks, that there simply isn't a lot of time for the staff to play games. However, that doesn't mean they won't FIND time to play games if it becomes necessary. Just be on top of your game because as seniors, you know what is expected of you. Also, the staff can differ substantially from one platoon to the next. My staff was very mellow compared to the staff of 1st platoon. There are some things which you simply can't control so the best thing to do is to just learn to live with it.

I cannot stress the importance of physical fitness enough. Going into seniors, my PFT was 260 and coming out it was at 290. The average PFT when I left for my platoon was near 270. So, don't get there out of shape and make sure you can run. The last thing you want to worry about while at OCS is your physical fitness.

Now, as far as the academics go, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. It's not rocket science and I never studied for it and left with a 91% academic GPA. If you are worried about passing the exams, just study up before the exam and look over the ELO's. You'll know what i'm talking about when you get there. When you are in class trying to keep yourself awake, take the time to find the answers to the ELO's, instead of sleeping! I used to just tear out the lessons right out of the knowledge before an exam and just study up during chow or whatnot. Remember, its all about time management and that doesn't mean sacraficing your sleep. Again, those who have already gone to juniors know what its all about and those who have yet to step across the tracks will soon learn.

I am not ashamed to admit that during juniors I questioned my choice to join the Marines. I thought about quitting and times were very tough at some points. However, I realize that it would have been the biggest mistake of my life if I had quit and i'm glad I pushed through it. Going back for seniors was probably one of the hardest decisions I have had to make in life so far but there is nothing like the pride you feel walking across the parade deck on graduation day. Take it from me, it is all worth the hard work and pain. I would suggest that you go to OCS with an open mind and don't sell yourself short. Everyone is capable of more than they believe. Be motivated, stay motivated and kick some ass. I hope this helps.

Matt S

None
calimansd that does help. I'm in between juniors and seniors and the thought of going back sucks, but like you said walking across that parade deck after a long 6 weeks will be an awesome feeling. I know this because graduating juniors this summer felt pretty good. Good advice man!

Bobcat

PLC Sr.'s 05
Yeah...I'll tell you what graduating juniors was huge to me and all I could think was how amazing it must have felt for the seniors graduating. My favorite moment might have been the night before graduation when Echo company walked through our squadbay after lights out with their guidon and a few candidates from their platoon. I was damn jealous of those guys but happy for them at the same time. As for going ten weeks or six weeks....I'm happy with my decision I know that. Juniors gives you a chance to test it out and see if it's for you. I was frustrated through much of it because I felt like some guys were there for the wrong reasons and should have been given the heave-ho but my platoon commander reminded me of the mission of juniors and that those people generally do not come back or get weeded out during seniors. I know I met some great guys at OCS and cannot wait to go back for seniors this year.

Ooorahhh

Raptor2216

Its good to know that we didn't piss everyone off with that little stunt with the guidon...I almost miss it!

steventheman

Why do fat people keep eating?
caliman,

there were some people that were pissed, but only because they thought that it was India company. I figured that it was probably a senior platoon doing it, so I actually enjoyed it because I give you guys much respect for getting through all of it.

Bobcat

PLC Sr.'s 05
Yeah....orginally I thought it was India Company with the guidon. I was on the top rack and poised to jump off and tackle the guide. Then I realized who it was. Good times.

JJEXP

India Company, Booger Platoon
Bobcat said:
Yeah....orginally I thought it was India Company with the guidon. I was on the top rack and poised to jump off and tackle the guide. Then I realized who it was. Good times.

You talk, but you know india woulda stomped your ass :icon_tong

steventheman

Why do fat people keep eating?
Sounds like the Kilo/India rivalry is still there. You may have won at the wooded engagement, but we won the field meet!

Ya that's right...

Clux4

Banned
It is no longer platoons talking trash about each other, it now on a company level. Do your staffs too go at it?

I think India kicks a$$

JJEXP

India Company, Booger Platoon
Clux4 said:
It is no longer platoons talking trash about each other, it now on a company level. Do your staffs too go at it?

I think India kicks a$$

Our PTI would constantly trash out Kilo, she always got us fired up about "Nasty Kilo"

Status
Not open for further replies.