• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life at OCS Questions

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've read a lot about the training at OCS. But I haven't found much on the everyday aspects of OCS.

(LOTS OF QUESTIONS)

Thank you.

The best advice I can give as a current Officer Candidate is this:

1) Show up in the best possible shape you can. Don't worry if you can't run a 4 minute mile; the Drill Instructors and RDCs will get you squared away in short order.

2) Be prepared to be uncomfortable. You're going to be in situations that are going to just plain suck. You're going to have days where they're going to make you play in the sand and you'll go to bed with sand in places that you didn't know you had places. Be willing to put up with all of it.

3) Go with the flow. So much will be outside of your control that you need to be able to just kick your butt into neutral and just roll with the punches. Don't freak out when it all happens.

4) Don't lose your sense of humor. There are crazy things that you're going to have to do. Take it in stride and laugh about it with your shipmates later on.

5) NEVER EVER LOSE SIGHT OF WHY YOU ARE THERE! You are there for a commission. When the Drill Instructors get you down just remember that they can't kill you, and even if they do, they certainly can't eat you. Keep your head up, maintain your bearing, project an aura of confidence, and drive on.

Best of luck and see you in the fleet.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're a southpaw like me, learn to eat with your right hand.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
When I went to OCS we ate with our left hand, using a spoon, uphill both ways, in the cold...

Yeah, I was looking forward to that. Imagine my surprise when told we would have to eat with a knife and fork and use our starboard hands. I look like a complete idiot from the lack of coordination of my right hand.

BTW, who was your Class Drill Instructor?

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
The best advice I can give as a current Officer Candidate is this:

Thank you. I wish you the best of luck wherever you are now in training. Can I ask what you scored on the ASTB, to see where about I need to be in as a minimum. Frankly the practice tests I've done seem to be a lot easier than I thought. I can only wonder how well these guides will steer me.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thank you. I wish you the best of luck wherever you are now in training. Can I ask what you scored on the ASTB, to see where about I need to be in as a minimum. Frankly the practice tests I've done seem to be a lot easier than I thought. I can only wonder how well these guides will steer me.

I scored a 6/7/7/53. Not too impressive, but enough to get selected. All of my stats are somewhere in the September 2010 Board and August 2011 Boards threads.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
No, but I recommend learning quickly which containers the war spoons are in. My worst meal ever was using a regular spoon. I only made that mistake once.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
No, but I recommend learning quickly which containers the war spoons are in. My worst meal ever was using a regular spoon. I only made that mistake once.

Hey bud, how's everything? How's the ankle?

I second that about the Mighty War Spoons. They make life much easier. Also, stay away from the ribs; they're hard as hell to eat with a knife and fork.

Josh Mason

Am I alone here???

I understand this forum is devoted to helping to spread the wisdom and answer tough questions, but.....

commercial aviation vs. military aviation....
will I pass with this medical eye issue.....
what is carrier life really like........
(understandable tough issues)

but what are the exact items/issues/complications/challenges of OCS...... (thats part of the experience kid....)

Chow hall protocol isn't meant to be memorized before arrival.... I know... i was fired as class president due to a F*ck up during this exact phase... it was part of a VERY educational period in my growth as a Naval Officer, a leader, a team member, a husband, (and now) a father, and as a human..... why try to get the cheat notes???

kinda want to respond... "show up when your orders mandate, and you'll have the answers...."

am I old school? (Class 03-04)

I'm fully willing to take an *ss kicking if I'm off here, but I wouldn't have even understood the context of these questions when I was headed to OCS.... had no idea what was in store...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Wise Words

I think you're right on. But I also think it doesn't really matter. No matter what we answer here, there's so much thrown at you at OCS that there are going to be stumbling blocks for everybody and that there's no way to memorize everything you need to know. Also, the minute the yelling starts, a lot of people are going to freeze and freak out. Honestly, I think the fewer specific questions answered, the better; which is why I try to keep my answers as general as possible. The only exception being about food. That stuff's just too dang important.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
get a grip on reality

Although you could of been more professional in stating your opinion. I don't think there is anything wrong these days with using "haha" as an expression for laughing on an internet forum.. Whats the difference between that and the smiley faces offered on here people use?

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
You know what upsets me.. Individuals giving away information about OCS. The least you know the better the experience. I enjoyed OCS and I did not even read anything about it before I went. I also did not have much time. My package went to an Aug. Board. I was Pro-Rec early in Sept. and Final Select by the end of Sept., with an OCS date 18 Oct. Also most of the information you hear/read here might not be what you experience as everything is class team dependant. Even the same class team/DI can behave differently with different classes. So anything posted here is not going to help anyone. Also do not post any names here.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You know what upsets me.. Individuals giving away information about OCS. ....
Get over it, it's not classified info. Just because you found it unhelpful doesn't mean other will. If nothing else, it might relieve some of their anxiety.