• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life as a Coast Guard Officer

efini_kid

wasnt trying to start a fight.

I know with any branch of service there will he hardships. I was just looking to see how coast guard life is like. I wasnt aware that you were given ur assignment in OCS though, and flying is really what I would like to do. So it may be better to look elsewhere. thanks for the viewpoints gents.

For the USCG pilots in this thread, how did yall go about becoming a pilot for the service?

sardaddy

pilot
Not exactly sure what you are asking but as previously stated, you apply for OCS, then get accepted to flight school either during OCS, or out of the CG academy, or apply once you are at your first unit. You then attend Naval flight training at Pensacola with Navy and Marine Corps pilots. After that you are trained in the CG airframe you were selected to fly and voila, you are a CG aviator. Hope that answered the question.

Oh, yeah. You can also be a pilot in another service, apply for the direct commision aviator program, switch over to the CG, get trained in the CG airframe you were selected to fly and voila, you are a CG aviator.

HockeyPilot42

There is a way to be preselected for flight training but it has very specific requirements on where you went to college, plus the program is going away. quote]

If you are refering to the Blue 21 program it is still alive and apperently it isnt going anywhere. Im applying for it right now. Just handed in my paper work today to the recruiter. Any one know how competitive it is? Just curious as to who im going up against. I flew for an airline for a short while. 1600 hrs with jet time. If I could sign the dotted line tonight I would. The application deadline is not until FEB 1st. Seems so far away!

Thanks!

Renegade One

None
Actually renegade one you are incorrect.

Chapter 14 of US code clearly states: The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy.

So by law we are a military service. You can have your opinion and feel we aren't but you are still wrong. We are not part of DoD though. We have the same military authority as other services, we have members in Iraq and Afghanistan but we also have law enforcement authority here in the states. Something the other services do not. That is why we are kept out of DoD.

If you really want to argue it, feel free but you will still be wrong. It isn't critical to national defense but YOU might as well get it right.

No fight from me...happy to admit I was wrong here...been wrong before. No excuse, sir. Actually makes more sense this way. Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_091120-G-0000X-001.jpg

091120-G-0000X-001 BEAUFORT SEA (Nov. 20, 2009) An international research expedition being conducted in the Beaufort Sea aboard the Coast Guard heavy icebreaker ship Polar Sea (WAGB 11) organized and led Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)‚ Marine Biogeochemistry section. (U.S. Coast Guard photo/Released)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
As a pilot you can expect to stand a 24 hour duty every three days, so 10 days out of the month you are not sleeping in your own bed
Must be airframe or small unit dependent; sounds like the average 65 pilot stands more duty than the 60 or C-130 pilots do. The previous units I've stood duty at usually averaged 1 in 4 (between ODO and duty pilot/copilot) at the worst for 60s & 130s, but it was sporadic.

If you averaged 1 in 3 when you were at operational units, I feel for you.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah...I dunno. Probably some historical connection or reason of which I'm unaware.

It started out as the Marine Hospital Service to take care of merchant sailors and it's first Surgeon General was a former Union Army surgeon who mandated the wear of uniforms. The result, USPHS officers wear naval uniforms to this day.