• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberty Radius?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usn_ftw

Hey all, quick question about liberty. The Memorial Day weekend is coming up and I would like to travel home to see family. The radius is 500 miles, and out to 600 with a special liberty chit. Anything more than that requires leave, and I don't have much accumulated at this point.

From my command to home is 585 miles straight line radius, but is 714 miles by road. Which number does the command look at when processing a special liberty chit?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I always used direct line radius, as that is how it is going to be checked on a chart. Use 585.
Pickle

Renegade One

None
Hey all, quick question about liberty...
Hi…I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the local "Douche Lord".

A "style point" from the recently published "Air Warriors SOP": Linkie:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/air-warrior’s-standard-operating-procedures-sop.34472/

USER PROFILES. Take the time to fill it out. It doesn’t have to say exactly who you are, or any information that is too personal for the web, but at least provide some information about what you are doing (college, flight training, Fleet, retired, etc) and what your goals are for posting on the website. Many of the questions a user might ask have different answers depending on what point you are at in life/training, and it helps to have a profile with at least some basic information for other users to gauge how to reply. Myself and many of the Winged Aviators on this website will ignore questions by individuals that have not filled out their profile. If you don’t take the time, why should we take time to answer your questions?

robav8r

None
Contributor
Hey all, quick question about liberty. The Memorial Day weekend is coming up and I would like to travel home to see family. The radius is 500 miles, and out to 600 with a special liberty chit. Anything more than that requires leave, and I don't have much accumulated at this point.

From my command to home is 585 miles straight line radius, but is 714 miles by road. Which number does the command look at when processing a special liberty chit?
If you are driving, I would use the 714. If flying, the 585. But I would seriously question you driving 714 miles each way for a three day weekend . . . .

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you are driving, I would use the 714. If flying, the 585. But I would seriously question you driving 714 miles each way for a three day weekend . . . .
This. You're going to have a hard time selling a 20-24 hours of driving in a 72 hour period to your CO. Especially if 500 miles was set to make sure you are within an 8 hour drive of the command (500/65 = 7.6...), coincidentally what the maximum the Navy recommends driving per day on long trips. COs tend not to just pick the numbers out of a hat and his concern is going to be losing a Sailor because he crashed from driving fatigue.
I always used direct line radius, as that is how it is going to be checked on a chart. Use 585.
Pickle
Huh? I always saw them use mapquest or google maps when in doubt, which will show the driving distance and estimated time.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
How you calculate distance depends if you use Google Maps or Skyvector, no?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

A "style point" from the recently published "Air Warriors SOP": Linkie:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/air-warrior’s-standard-operating-procedures-sop.34472/

USER PROFILES. Take the time to fill it out. It doesn’t have to say exactly who you are, or any information that is too personal for the web, but at least provide some information about what you are doing (college, flight training, Fleet, retired, etc) and what your goals are for posting on the website. Many of the questions a user might ask have different answers depending on what point you are at in life/training, and it helps to have a profile with at least some basic information for other users to gauge how to reply. Myself and many of the Winged Aviators on this website will ignore questions by individuals that have not filled out their profile. If you don’t take the time, why should we take time to answer your questions?
Recently? It was published over two years ago ;) I guess it's all perspective, two years still seems like a while ago for me ;)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
gotta admit, that intro brought a laugh to my day.

The SOP is a couple years old. Guess I may update it over some beers when I get back to suit the new software and website changes. As always, open to suggestions.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you don’t take the time, why should we take time to answer your questions?
Concur completely! Recently an unfortunate incident arose on another thread. A Navy wife requested info on a prospective new community/duty station. One of our members responded with some good dope on the community & advice on coping in this community/area. In her reply was a "hissy fit" along with a 'sexism bomb'. She had not taken the time to put any info in her profile, nor mentioned in her post that she was a Navy Wife. :confused:

The responder was taken aback by her post, stating that no sexism was implied/intended, but that his reply might have been worded differently had he known she was not a fellow Naviator. Personally, I saw NO "sexist overtones" in his response, which was well-meaning and informative. Perceptions are seldom reality!:oops:

***MORAL*** is cited above. Privacy issues... we get it! Not looking for your SSN, bank acct. #/PIN, e-mail add., or GF's phone number; just some basics, i.e. age, sex, educ/Univ., USN goals/aspirations, hobbies/likes, etc. Allows us to 'fam' you a bit to help us better respond to your questions. As for this Dude... Blank profile = IGNORE!:rolleyes:
Save The Bee.jpg
BzB... 'buzzzzz'

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I always see the "liberty radius" charts and they look like someone took a pencil, a string, and a thumbtack, and draw an "X" mile circle...
If there's a way to massage the situation to my advantage, I'll find it...
Pickle

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
When I sign a special lib chit, I always mapquest the route to check the mileage.

exNavyOffRec

Every command I was at used the radius method, specifically the reason was due to certain geographic locations if you go by road distance it would be 2 to 3 times longer than straight line distance.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

I'm pretty liberal with signing off liberty requests, but I wouldn't sign off for your trip for a 3 or even a 4 day weekend unless you were flying- and then most commands would require you to suck it up and take leave, or stay home.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
At the end of the day, it only really matters what YOUR command instruction says. Chances are, it's spelled out in there as to what you can use. At my last squadron, travel time was used instead of mile radius. It allowed for a technical loop hole, despite some urging to the CO that it probably shouldn't be written that way. But at the end of the day, that's what was signed and what you went off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.