• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberty/Platoon on watch

aBit-lost

Hi,
To those of you that have been to marine OCS in Quantico; I have a question. My boyfriend's platoon is the duty platoon for the weekend which I guess means there is a time period where they will have to be on watch. This is the same weekend he will be getting liberty. Will it still be worth it for me to go and see him (3 and a half hour drive) or is this going to take up all of his liberty time?
Thanks always.

Carno

Insane
If he even has fire watch he will only have to stand it for two hours. Duty platoon shouldn't make any difference when it comes to weekend libo and fire watch. Depending on his platoon size, he may have to stand watch for two hours every weekend. If he has a large platoon, he may only have to stand watch during libo every other week or every two weeks.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
when your on duty platoon for libo, it just means that you are restricted to MCB Quantico in terms of what you can do...So go see him and go hang out in Q-Town or something.

Also..we changed duty platoon everyday, so if we ended up with duty platoon during libo, it was only for one day.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
when your on duty platoon for libo, it just means that you are restricted to MCB Quantico in terms of what you can do...So go see him and go hang out in Q-Town or something.

Also..we changed duty platoon everyday, so if we ended up with duty platoon during libo, it was only for one day.

So the hotel stay type thing is out of the question. I forget, is the Crossroads Inn or Liversedge Hall out of bounds for candidates?

SemperFlyMarine

The CRF's Worst Nightmare
So the hotel stay type thing is out of the question. I forget, is the Crossroads Inn or Liversedge Hall out of bounds for candidates?

It was last summer when I went through. As candidates are generally discouraged from interacting with officers and Marines in general, staying at the Crossroads Inn or Liversedge Hall would be equally discouraged. I would suggest you go up Sunday, if you can make it (or whichever day he doesn't have duty), because there's still plenty of things you can do in Q-town. And you'll have plenty of other opportunities to go see him in the rest of the 10 week course, so if you can't make it up this weekend, don't worry about it.

aBit-lost

Confussed

So there are no hotels in Quantico huh? They seem to be all just right outside of Quantico in dumbfries or a couple of other towns near by. Where would I see him if he is restricted to Quantico? Am I even allowed on base at Quantico to see him?

SemperFlyMarine

So there are no hotels in Quantico huh? They seem to be all just right outside of Quantico in dumbfries or a couple of other towns near by. Where would I see him if he is restricted to Quantico? Am I even allowed on base at Quantico to see him?

There aren't any hotels in Q-town, but there are plenty just outside the base...Days Inn, Sleep Inn, etc. If he's restricted to the base, you'll be able to meet him at the entrance to Brown Field. The gate guards know that it's liberty weekend, so you'll be able to pass through, just be aware that they might do a complete search of your car, depending on what the orders of the day are for them.

And you'll be the best thing he's seen since he arrived there, no doubt about it.

JMMH

Ugh.
Crossroads Inn is ON base, but it's not available to Candidates. Technically they (Candidates) have their own room to stay in while on duty. To get a room there, the reservation has to be made by someone with a military ID. Since you don't have one, you can't stay there. Sorry... (you can get on base without one though. Just know where you're going- or atleast WHY you're there, they will ask... have an answer. ""Visiting a Candidate" is perfectly acceptible.)

There is a Ramada and another hotel right outside the front gate. 'Quantico' is not the city outside the base. There's a Town of Quantico INSIDE the base. It's about 2 blocks. Not too much to do on a Sunday, so hope he's got duty then.

He'll have duty one of the 2 days, since the duty platoon rotates.

Atleast that's what was going on when I visited DH 2 years ago... feel free to PM me with any follow up questions.

usmcecho4

pilot
When I was there you could just pay a fellow candidate to stand your watch for you. I think the rate was around $20-40 a watch. If his platoon staff haven't already forbidden it that may be an option worth exploring.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

SemperFlyMarine

When I was there you could just pay a fellow candidate to stand your watch for you. I think the rate was around $20-40 a watch. If his platoon staff haven't already forbidden it that may be an option worth exploring.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

He still wouldn't be able to get off base though...

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah if he has duty platoon one of the days, then grabbing a hotel with him is going to be out of the question. So just make it a day trip. The three hour drive to see him will mean all the world to him (and I think you too judging by the way you have been stressing about the mail;) )

phrogpilot73

There is a Ramada and another hotel right outside the front gate. 'Quantico' is not the city outside the base. There's a Town of Quantico INSIDE the base. It's about 2 blocks. Not too much to do on a Sunday, so hope he's got duty then.
And to ease your searching - the hotels referenced (right outside the gate) are in the town of Triangle, VA.

eliz33

hmmm.. considering that I'm in a hotel on Garrisonville Rd... 1ish miles south of the base... after a 10 hour drive....

My boyfriend has liberty, but duty on Sunday morning. He thought he could meet me and stay the night until change-over in the morning? Is that not accurate?