• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberty Cuffs

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I recently learned about the old tradition of sewing patches inside the cuff of enlisted dress blues for the aforementioned Liberty Cuffs. I figured I would pass some of the stuff I found online onto AW for those interested in old Naval traditions. I also figured that maybe some of the old guys had photos they'd like to share about some of the cool personalizations to uniforms back in the day. Speaking of back in the day, even Steve McQueen wore them.

Some Really Sweet Cuffs

Flugelman

Contributor
I think the "Liberty Cuffs" were mostly a Blackshoe thing. I've seen them on liberty a couple of times but I don't recall ever seeing them on airdales.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently learned about the old tradition of sewing patches inside the cuff of enlisted dress blues for the aforementioned Liberty Cuffs. I figured I would pass some of the stuff I found online onto AW for those interested in old Naval traditions. I also figured that maybe some of the old guys had photos they'd like to share about some of the cool personalizations to uniforms back in the day. Speaking of back in the day, even Steve McQueen wore them.

Some Really Sweet Cuffs
I remember them. At one time they were pretty common for WestPac sailors, shoes and airdales. Until there was a big crack down on them.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Salty!

I remember them. At one time they were pretty common for WestPac sailors, shoes and airdales. Until there was a big crack down on them.

I *ad t*em on my Tailor-made gaberdine sp? dress blues (13 buttons), back in my "Bubbleead" days :snorkel_1 on USS CAVALLA (SSK-244) in New London. T*ey were allowed to be worn off-base, but *ad to keep t*em in a locker club outside t*e Main Gate. Also, a no no for inspections. :watching3

Mine were colorful, a "Dolp*ins" insignia, w/ topless Mermaids scattered among various fis*ies. Weren't allowed to be worn until Quallified as Submariner. T*e *onies just loved t*em, but alas, t*ey died away in t*e 60's. :icon_smil
BzB :sleep_125

KBayDog

What about Finger Cuffs?

1200540481_863.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

My buddy I work with showed me his Liberty Cuffs; he said he wore them till the mid 70s while deployed on the Midway. They were cool looking!

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I think the "Liberty Cuffs" were mostly a Blackshoe thing. I've seen them on liberty a couple of times but I don't recall ever seeing them on airdales.

I got mine in Hong Kong on a WESTPAC as a screamin' PO3 in 92'. Saving them for my kid.

MR-

brownshoe

Contributor
What was a locker club?

Enlisted shipboard Sailors couldn’t keep civvies or those gabardine “Seafarer” uniforms (with liberty cuffs) aboard ship. So when in home port they kept a locker at a locker club. They’d disembark in UOD and then head to the locker club to change clothes for liberty. Then after liberty they’d head back to the locker club and change back into the UOD to go back aboard. (Luckily I was at Cecil my entire tour, so I never needed a locker club. Phew)

Steve

BTW… I got a haircut yesterday and W.T. asked about you… said to say "Hi" if I saw you.
And you still owe me some beer. By my count we'll be drunk as 'shit house rats' by the time we leave Frisco's.:icon_wink

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Haha, well, after your absence from AW, I was afraid you flew the coop. Good to see you back, I'll shoot you a PM the next time I'm heading to FredRock. Probably won't be for at least another year, as I'm spending 6 months of spring break 2k12 on a beach. or desert. probably desert. yep. desert.

blackbart22

pilot
The coasties used to wear them turned up to cover that shield so that they would appear to be sailors.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We had Es in my first squadron get them in Westpac in 1985-89 timeframe. Also the AOs on TR all had them 1991-2 timeframe. Never saw any during my DH tour on the with east coast P-3s.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's a badass Naval tradition, like swearing, crass skits, and Sailors getting tattoos. Alas, those days are over.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I had a pair in my blues, but mostly because nobody else I knew had them. Recently gave them to our Corpsman when the enlisted uniforms finally had to get the hell out of my gagrage.