• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberty at OCS

wonderwoman

My husband will eventully be in Newport at OCS. How often do you get Liberty? Is it for a weekend...Can you have guests? Anyone know any details?

Jeep_Shark

Liberty around newport has been starting up around the six or seventh week of training, depending on how your class does and how the DI feels. Usually the liberty is friday night (not overnight) and saturday afernoon through sunday afternoon. When you have off base liberty you can have all of the guests you want. So if you want to come out to visit people at OCS its usually pretty easy to meet them off base in the last few weekends. however, there is no such thing as guarenteed liberty so it can be risky to spend the money on travel to come and visit.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Totally varies from class to class and weekend to weekend. Theoretically it's possible after week 4, but don't count on that and if you somehow do, it probably won't be the whole weekend. Week 7 and 8 it gets more and more likely, but I do know of classes that didn't receive liberty till candio phase (which it is almost a certainty - notice I said almost). Holidays throw a monkey wrench into things for the better, but nothing is coming up so don't worry about that.
Bottom line, it isn't something to plan on. 12 week (provided he doesn't roll) separation is probably the shortest time away that you'll ever see in the Navy, so consider it training for you too.

wonderwoman

so...you telling me that he will be gone a lot? i thougt it depends on which program u get accepted for..? any insights?

Morgan81

pilot
Contributor
so...you telling me that he will be gone a lot? i thougt it depends on which program u get accepted for..? any insights?
Well, yeah, it's the Navy afterall. You'll be together for training and shore duty, but our job is not in the US, it's overseas. I know very little first hand, but in the Navy, you will be deployed... a lot. Different communities will vary for duration and frequency, but different specialties within communities will vary just as much (P3s vs Helos in the pilot community; SWOs vs Intel etc.).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Liberty? What's liberty? OH! Its that thing we didn't get until week 8! Oh, right......

haubby

None
Contributor
Not sure about liberty cause I will never go to OCS but when I left Nimitz Hall today the DI's were giving some OCS class a nasty beating. They were going at it for a good hour or so before I even left. Doesn't leave too much time for liberty.

Morgan81

pilot
Contributor
Not sure about liberty cause I will never go to OCS but when I left Nimitz Hall today the DI's were giving some OCS class a nasty beating. They were going at it for a good hour or so before I even left. Doesn't leave too much time for liberty.
...That's called, Saturday.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
We've been flat told we won't get lib until candio phase.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Wow.. You guys must have really angered the DIs skim!

Skim has one of two DI's there at OCS that will not give liberty at all until candio phase. I had both of them. We actually got 4 hours "on base liberty" on Thanksgiving so we could either eat at the O-club or the leisure lounge. After that we didn't get liberty until 4 days IN TO candio phase. How much liberty you get is completely dependent on your class team...

P.S.- Keep at it skim. It will be over soon.

MandaK

My husband got liberty after RLP, which is their big inspection. I believe that it is about 6 weeks into OCS. It is also known as "relocation program" because people get rolled back if they fail their inspection. It can add several weeks on to OCS.

Since I lived in Pensacola, I was able to see DH once a week on Sunday mornings. I would bring cookies, candy, and cupcakes for his class and then we would usually go to church together. When he got liberty, it started off with Friday nights (not overnight), Saturday (late afternoon) and then had to be back by 4pm on Sunday. Once he was a candio, he had the whole weekend off. I was also able to meet him during the week for dinner or a movie on base during his candio phase.

I was able to write to him everyday and I usually got a letter from him every other day. OCS was easy for us because of all of the contact that we had.

Hope this helps.