• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Level D time towards ATP?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, 408. and it flies nothing like 408. I hate(d) the ELDES.
Agreed. It was a project that was started by good people with the best of intentions and then got handed to the contractors. It is marginally better than the two other sims that we already own and aren't paying extortion style lease fees for.
Teaching new students to fly in it is a shame. It is a good tool to teach procedures and things that we can't do in the aircraft, but that is about it.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm going to be getting my type rating soon and will be doing a checkride with an FAA instructor so I want to be able to knock it all out at once and be done. I could wait, but it'll be more expensive. It's really one of those "all the pieces are in place" kind of deals, minus my hours.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I was gonna make a snarky remark about the vaunted Lockheed Electra type rating you P-3 guys get, until I remembered that you are a P-8 chud. I hate you so very, very much.

I got my 707/720 type and I realized as I was walking out the door of the FSDO that it's not 1965 and the type rating would serve as a conversation starter and little else. For example:

Airline interviewer: I see here you have a 707 type rating. You look awfully young to have flown for Pan Am!
Me: It has a glass cockpit like the 737!
Airline Interviewer: Get your time traveling ass out of my office!

Yeah. That's how it would go.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for the majors, obviously, but I'd like to think that would count for something at least. That's a large, fixed-wing, multi-engine jet. Sure no one has the 707 anymore, but the transition can't be too hard.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Yeah. It will be valuable, but its still an OLD airplane. Granted, we have some whiz-bang gadgetry on it.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Yeah. It will be valuable, but its still an OLD airplane. Granted, we have some whiz-bang gadgetry on it.

xKNL7v0.jpg

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

FedEx counts it as heavy jet time which gets you extra points in their application scoring system. Don't knock it...I see plenty of E-6/KC-135 dudes around at work.

We chatted about it in my panel interview which was conducted by two retired FedEx pilots who both flew 707s for the USAF before FedEx. People will remember it and it will serve you well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yea, never heard about the whole sim certification thing. I bet it is the navy making these pronouncements. Not the FSDO. Even if true, the average FSDO guy will not know the difference, or likely care. Sure some like to bust your chops, but not many. Have a guy diss you in one location, take it to another. Consider this. As a VS NFO I spent time in the copilot’s seat with full controls. By completing certain maneuvers in the S-3 sim, like take off single engine failure, single engine approach, couple others, I was able to get my front seat time countered as civ second in command. Totally cool with every fed out there? Maybe not. It met the letter of the regs though so it was good enough for the fed that reviewed my log, and the airline that hired me. And the S-3 sim was not equivalent to any civ aircraft let alone a P-8 level D.

From what I researched in the past (and discussed on here previously), the certification is more an issue for the check ride than the hours. If hours count for an ATP (and I'm not well-read enough to know the regs), then I agree it shouldn't matter, but for the actual ATP checkride, doing it in a milsim won't fly because it's not certified. I've read elsewhere this being an issue for the AF heavies, as well. I think HAL confirmed this with some other relevant anecdote he had, as well.

It sucks, as getting an examiner in a sim is a lot easier than getting them in an aircraft in some circles. Others, it's a piece of cake.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
FedEx counts it as heavy jet time which gets you extra points in their application scoring system. Don't knock it...I see plenty of E-6/KC-135 dudes around at work.

We chatted about it in my panel interview which was conducted by two retired FedEx pilots who both flew 707s for the USAF before FedEx. People will remember it and it will serve you well.

That's good to hear. I knock it only because I'm self-deprecating by nature. There aren't a lot of pilots in the world that can say they were the PIC of a heavy jet at the age of 27. I'm glad it is recognized. I just wish I had the hours in it to make me competitive at FedEx!!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Don't know if your command will let a former Navy FAA examiner fly on the aircraft with you, but if they do, I know a guy...