• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letters of Recommendation

chipjones

Hey everyone, I have no Navy experience and don't know anyone in the armed forces. I was just curious who are some of the best people to get LORs from other than Navy officers...etc...??

thanks for any suggestions

MasterBates

Here are some of the people who I used for my LORs

Mechanical Engineering professor who used to teach at USNA before coming to my school.
Humanities Professor who was a SWO and retired as a reserve Captain.
Chief of the local Fire Department who was my next door neighbor growing up and whom I had worked for during High School and College.
My boss from when I was an Intern at Pratt & Whitney

I'd look for "Pillars of the Community" types and former Military. I'd bet more than a couple of your professors have been in the service.

A professor who did the 5 and dive from ROTC as a SWO who knows you well would be better than the Active Duty USAF Major who your cousin dated briefly when he was a 2LT and you met once.

A manager at a business (or the owner) who knew you well from years of part time work is better than the Fortune 500 CEO you met once at a scholarship dinner.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Focus on getting letters from people that know you well. But don't narrow yourself to people that have known for you all your life. It might be wise to have some who know you on a more personal level and then others on more professional level.

My letters of reference were as follows.

A USAF O-1 who was a good friend from high school and my church back home.

A retired USN O-5 Hornet pilot who coincidentally is my girl's father.

A retired USA O-6 who is one of my professors and a man I've gotten to know well over the years I've been in college.

I also had a letter from a former employer but I don't think it ever went through.

It was more coincidence that all of my letters were retired military or active military. I would have asked my friend to give me a reference regardless and definitely my professor.

But if you'll notice that my references have very different points of view.

I don't think they expect anyone to have military references. It probably doesn't hurt if you know them well.

If you are concerned about that you should ask your recruiter if you can do an interview with one.

Good luck with the process.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just get them from people who know you well and can write specific examples about your good traits. When it comes to military officers, no one's opinion below LCDR really counts for much, anyway.

I had 0 recommendation letters from anyone associated with the military.

cram88

BDCP Supply
I had 2 professors, retired captain, my father--retired commander, old boss. quality is better than quantity too.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Cram is right. 3 or 4 letters from people who can really speak to your character would trump 5 generic ones, I would argue.

For my successful application, I had 1 LOR from a Professor, 1 from a Congressman who knew my work qualities well, and 1 from a retired NYPD Officer and first responder who I had a personal and business relationship with.

My OR said I should have another one just to really get into the comfort zone, but that the comprehensive ones I had were more than adequate.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

k2fourever

Cram...you had a family member write a LOR? Interesting - I thought that was a no-go. Anyone else take that route, or have some insight as to whether one would be a good/bad idea?

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I thought that was a no-go. Anyone else take that route, or have some insight as to whether one would be a good/bad idea?

The NYDP/First Responder in my case was my half uncle's second wife. She spoke to my business/professional etiquette and personal values.
I don't know if having an mom/dad/brother write a rec is a good call, but if they're distantly related and valued members of their community, you'd probably be okay.
Disclaimer: Then again, I'm not on the selections committee, so my survey sample size is a grand total of one, and my first hand knowledge of judging applicants is a total of 0.00 hours

beaverslayer

pilot
Cram...you had a family member write a LOR? Interesting - I thought that was a no-go. Anyone else take that route, or have some insight as to whether one would be a good/bad idea?

I didn't quite use family members, but I used old family friends (non-military) who could really give specific examples of good traits and how I've grown, etc. I also used one of my professors, who has never served. So no military LORs at all, and I still somehow got in.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
I was pro-rec'd for Intel and SWO. My recruiter set up an interview with an Intel O-5 for me, which I think was tremendously helpful for my package. However, I also had LORs from:
-My former boss at the Department of State
-My former boss at the State of New York
-One of my professors who spent much of the 60s serving as a TAC Officer at Army OCS.
-My B.A. Thesis advisor (also a professor)

You can also set up interviews with officers in the field you're looking to go into. There have a been myriad postings on AW about how to go about this.

JSnake

I was under the impression family members were a no-go as well. I also had no military LORs. My OR set me up with an interview with a CDR, which went really well. I also had some from my former employers, a good friend, and a couple of NYPD officers. I'm waiting on final select now.

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
Letters of Reference?

I've read where some people have 4-8 LORs and others have the minimum of 3 LORs. Is "more" better or does it just depend on which board you're appearing before? Or is it the quality of the writing addressing the Pros a candidate brings to the table that impresses the board? And are narratives recommended? I think I read somewhere that the LORs are actually only forms the references fill out. Can anyone be more specific as to whether an actual letter to accompany the "form" helps?

Any board member(s) out there? Can you address this specific issue? I realize board members are extremely busy deciphering LORs, but any feedback would be helpful. By the way, I have 3 LORs and an actual letter.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I was told 3 was the min. from life lessons doing the minimum is never a sign of a go-getter. First board I believe I had 4, non-select. When I was pro-rec I think I had 6. I had some form of personal relationship with them all, varying in length. Shortest was the CO of our local reserve unit, that my OR coordinated. He is a Commander, S-3 Viking pilot and IP for last 8 ish years, so not only good recommendation, but a connection that will carry through my entire career. Plus, an awesome guy to go out and shoot the shit and hear cool navy experiences while I finish school.

E26

Would it be a bad idea to have family members write a LOR if they hold high positions? My uncle works in the higher Government of California, and a distant cousin of mine has close ties to the Pentagon. Would these be seen as viable people to write an LOR, or should I cross them off due to blood ties?

I figure since they have some power, and know me, it'd be nice :D

-----

So since I brought this thread back to life, I'd like to ask a question that I'd appreciate everyone's input on.

About a week ago, I met and briefly spoke with a Public Health Officer who had recently moved out here and had been in the Navy for over 17 years. He gave me his number and told me if I needed anything, to give him a call. I want to call him soon and get to know his story as well as ask for a possible interview/LOR, but would it be inappropriate to ask for such over the phone? Would it be better to invite him out and then ask for a LOR? I know it may seem like a somewhat rudimentary question, but I don't want to make the wrong impression, and would like some input on otherwise basic mannerisms :D