• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letters Of Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevew

I spoke with my recruiter yesterday and he told me that for letters of recomedation, you give them a name and address and they mail out a questionare to them regarding your abilities, as well as having them attach their actual letter. Can anyone verify this? I always thought that the applicant went and requested the LOR from the individual directly

BYSun

Hmmmmmmm...well steven, I get the feeling that each recruiting command has certain lattitude in how they approach things like LORs and such, but in my experience there was no questionaire. I had to go to each person individually and get a letter of rec. As the selection board is going to be reading these, I would not want them to be looking at a pre-form checklist of my abilities. I would recommend to you what was recommended to me by my recruiter though, make sure the individual knows they are to give you a STRONG recommendation. Also, any military officers are very helpful. I had had Lt in the Navy and a Lt. Col in the Marines on my list.

Best of luck to you,

Bryce

WFU2USN

Steve,

It worked the same way for my OCS Package, so it is valid. I gave them a list of school, personal and employement references and they mailed out forms.

Good luck!

Robin

tali264

For my LOR, they gave me the forms they normally mail out and when I asked the people for the letters, I handed them the form. It just says what they are looking for in the letter. This way you get to ask them personally and make sure they know how important this is. Of course your LOR should be from people you know well anyway, so you can talk to them about it. Anyway....that's my .02

stevew

Hmm, I find this kind of awkward. I am getting the feeling that my recruiter is pulling my chain. He wont fill out an app for me until I have my PRK surgery which is understandable. But he gave me the feeling that I should go get PRK then we'll talk (hoping I never come back). And he tells me this thing about the recruiting office sending the questionare with a return envelope for them to fill out as well as submit an LOR with it. I would assume that the board has a standard way of viewing the apps. either the LOR's are submitted by the applicant or go directly to the recruiter with the questioare. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

meb6385

When I did my package, my recruiter just asked for 5 names and addresses, then he sent out a questionare packet to each of the people I provided. They were instructed where to mail the recs, which I believe was back to the recruiter, anyway, I had no action/input in the LOR's aside from giving my recruiter the names.
Mike

JayManC

All my LORs were actually letters, no form was ever given to me with regards to them. I was instructed to have them mailed directly to NRD Richmond. Some of my sponsors gave them directly to me and i mailed them in no big deal.

The only pre-fab form I was ever given was the interview form which was emailed to me. Then I took it down, had an O-6 fill it out, then i got it and a copy returned to me and I mailed it back to NRD.

<insert something witty here:>

jrklr

Here's the deal with the LOR's:
There is an official questionairre form which is the official letter of reference. It asks questions about how long they've known the applicant, if they have any illnesses/drug use, as well as how they would rate the applicants honesty, teamwork, character, etc. The questions are real basic and don't really require a lot of thinking. One of the items on the official sheet says to write a narrative of the applicant on a separate page, this is what most people think of as the letter of reccomendation, but this narrative is still accompanied by the official form when it's sent out.
As far as just giving your recruiter names and addresses, you could do that, but I strongly wouldn't reccommend it. Talk to the person you want a reccomendation from, make sure they can do it and be able to write a good one. What would you think if you just got a letter in the mail from the Navy asking you to write a reccomendation for someone that hasn't even told you about it?

BB

When I filled out my application, I was given a form by my recruiter that was the same as Jrklr
explained. I personally gave those forms to the people that I had recommend me and requested an additional narrative (stressing the importance of the narrative over the form). Good luck, just though I would include my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.