• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letters of Recommendation?

ajosephb

From reading other people's stats I've noticed a lot of LORs from O-6's and above?

How did you get LORs from these guys?

So far I have a total of (3). Two are from previous MMCOs (LCDRs) and one from my present MO. (CDR)

Any input you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-AT1

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Marry a 0-6's daughter who's uncle is a 0-5. That worked for me getting 2 of my LOR's. But from my knowledge you don't need to have LOR's from an Officer. An employer or professor or someone with a leadership background should do just as well. I sent in LOR's from a 0-6, 0-5, a deputy fire chief and my site supervisor at the high school I work at.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I sent 3 LoRs: 2 employers and 1 professor, and I got a pro-rec. What you should ask yourself when considering what LoRs to get is: What will they write about me that will offer a unique perspective?

Of course, this is just my opinion, feel free to get as many letters as you want :)

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Quality is better than quantity- absolutely. I didn't have any admirals, generals or senators writing me letters, but I went to professors that I KNEW or who I could talk to directly before asking them to write me a letter so they knew who I was. The only military LORs I got was from a retired LCDR NA and a retired COL NA. I talked to both of them asking them about their experiences and advice for a career in the Navy (military) and then at the very end, I asked if they wouldn't mind writing me a letter. It didn't seem impolite and they were more than happy to oblige. Find someone with experience, talk to them and then ask them for a LOR. Don't just go for the LOR, but learn something from it.

robav8r

None
Contributor
although combining quantity and quality never hurts right?
I disagree. If you have a really good record and one or two LOR's that reinforce that really good record. Then, you should be fine. If you have an average record with a bunch of LOR's that may or may not substantiate your positive qualities, one might begin to ask, what are you trying to compensate for? Remember, the board has LOTS of records to review and they need to get to the ground truth for each potential candidate. Make it easy for them - give them the LOR's that will help them select you, not the ones that will drown them in needless paperwork.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I had mine sent directly to the recruiter. The person who did my LOR put in a cover letter as well which was a really nice touch. I also received a copy via email which made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
AT1, when I had my LOR's written I was an MM3. I went with the people who I felt knew me best. That included my LPO, an MM1, an old instructor of mine from Power School, at the time he was an ETC, and my div-o. I didn't know a single O-3, let alone an O-6, at the time so that didn't even cross my mind.

Seems to have paid off, and I'd say just think about who knows you best and would write a good report of you as a sailor, not just someone you might know well.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Quality is better than quantity- absolutely. I didn't have any admirals, generals or senators writing me letters, but I went to professors that I KNEW or who I could talk to directly before asking them to write me a letter so they knew who I was. The only military LORs I got was from a retired LCDR NA and a retired COL NA. I talked to both of them asking them about their experiences and advice for a career in the Navy (military) and then at the very end, I asked if they wouldn't mind writing me a letter. It didn't seem impolite and they were more than happy to oblige. Find someone with experience, talk to them and then ask them for a LOR. Don't just go for the LOR, but learn something from it.

joboy, you did something tactfully? I'd be in awe, but the earth must be ending soon, so it'll be short lived.

ajosephb

AT1, when I had my LOR's written I was an MM3. I went with the people who I felt knew me best. That included my LPO, an MM1, an old instructor of mine from Power School, at the time he was an ETC, and my div-o. I didn't know a single O-3, let alone an O-6, at the time so that didn't even cross my mind.

Seems to have paid off, and I'd say just think about who knows you best and would write a good report of you as a sailor, not just someone you might know well.

It seems that I totally neglected my enlisted counterparts.

I'm sure it will look good to ask my Master Chief to write a LOR.