• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letters of Recommendation? How are you writing/getting these?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
So, in light of the recent turmoil in the industry, and the crazy hiring schedules expected in the next 24 months...

I'm refreshing my applications, instead of relying on the flow at the Regional I am a Captain for currently. I've had apps in, but without any letters of rec attached, because I don't know any pilots at the major airlines.

I've also been asked by a few unfortunate souls to write them letters of recommendation to get hired at my regional.

Three questions for this community:
  • Can someone post a sample recommendation letter? What are these really supposed to look like?
  • I've heard people are just asking random jumpseaters for recommendation letters? Is that honestly how this is working? That guy doesn't know you!
  • Most importantly: Anyone here at one of the majors that wants to write this prior Naval Aviator a letter? Or is willing to sign one I draft? (If so, um... my PMs are open!)

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I'm in much the same position as you. I have my apps in but haven't gotten a call. I don't have any answers, only questions.

I am wondering if internal recommendations are the only ones that matter or do others help. If it is internal recommendations that is going to be harder for helo bubbas to get. We just don't have much of a network at the majors yet. If external recommendations are useful, how far does that extend? Can one regional pilot give another regional pilot a recommendation? A former boss who doesn't work in the airlines?

I have a close friend at United so I got him to give me a recommendation there, but don't know if it would be useful to also get him to give me one at AA or Delta.

I wonder what the value is of a recommendation from a jumpseater or internet forum. It doesn't seem that useful.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I’d definitely get some letters of recommendation whether they come from pilots at majors or at the specific airline you’re targeting or not. I got hired without any internal recommendations. I had letters from my last AD CO, an O-5 reservist and airline pilot I flew with, and XO from my fleet squadron. Have the letters focus on your professionalism, experience, and what a great guy you are to be around.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I wonder what the value is of a recommendation from a jumpseater or internet forum. It doesn't seem that useful.

Goddamn this seems so fucking scam-ish, but that is apparently EXACTLY how people are getting letters today.

From a Army Warrant I know that just got hired from my regional to United (he was an RTP hire with me, I know him slightly... but he's posted the below in our work WhatsApp):
The six letters I had were United pilots. Three of them were dudes I didn’t even know in person. I just asked around and networked. I had another 3 non-United pilots and 1 non-pilot/airline rec too.

Between app reviews, interview prep, logbook prep, a new interview suit, and organizational membership fees, I probably shelled out about $3000. Just asked random dudes at events if they'd give me letters. Didn't even know them.

I don't wanna spend thousands of dollars paying for app reviews and buying my way into pilot job fairs... but I guess it worked for him? He paid money to attend job fairs, met random dudes and they agreed to sign a letter for him?

Anyway... so... what AirWarrior out there wants to give this pilot a letter? lol. You know me better than how that Army WO got letters...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When I got hired at Hawaiian, I found out during my interview I had 23 LORs. I knew about 5 or 6 of them. Those 5 or 6 asked a bunch of their friends to write me letters. They never told me.

During the interview, the CP asked me who I got letters from. I named them. He said “what about….” and listed a bunch of names. “Never heard of them.” “They wrote you letters of recommendation.” “Really?” “Yeah it’s pretty common around here. Thanks for being honest.”

I’m pretty sure if I’d claimed to know them I would not have advanced to the simulator evaluation.