• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter to your new CO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
Hi,

I'm finally hitting the fleet and I wanted to write a letter to my new CO.

Got a few questions for you all...

1. I use standard navy format, yes?

2. Do I mention things about myself, or is it sufficient to tell him when I'm coming and that I'm happy to be there etc. etc.?

3. Do I leave contact information on the letter?

4. Other than that, what should the letter consist of?

THANKS

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bigmouth said:
Hi,

I'm finally hitting the fleet and I wanted to write a letter to my new CO.

Got a few questions for you all...

1. I use standard navy format, yes?

2. Do I mention things about myself, or is it sufficient to tell him when I'm coming and that I'm happy to be there etc. etc.?

3. Do I leave contact information on the letter?

4. Other than that, what should the letter consist of?

THANKS
Are you going to an aviation squadron? If so, skip the letter. It will only be used against you later at a kangaroo court.

Brett

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ditto on that, don't write one, I have seen it at Hails being read aloud, very embarrassing for the inDUHvidual.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
One of our instructors was telling us about this one guy who wrote a real long letter to his new CO about how excited he was to be his first squadron, and how he was looking forward to hit the ground running etc etc etc. The CO enlarged the letter and posted it on a board in the squadron spaces for everyone to read. The guy had a call sign waiting for him when he finally got there.... "Knee Pads".

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However...it is not uncommon for your "Buddies" to gen up a letter on your behalf and send it to your new command for you....

Dear Skipper,
Thanks for allowing me to grace the ready room with my presence. I understand I could have gone to any squadron I wanted, so feel lucky I chose yours....blah, blah, blah...boasting, spewing, etc, etc....

You get the point....

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
My old divo did that. He wrote a letter to the ship saying how excited he was to be coming to the ship and taking over as the Air Gunner and what other commands he had been at. The OHO had it posted on the "Red Shirt Pride" board and then when the Gunner go to the ship he sent him to G-4

saltpeter

That's a good one Bigmouth you got us, hardy, har, har. Ah, but some day you may forget to log off your computer and then wham a squadron wide e-mail may be sent in your honor. I can remeber getting one telling of a youngins ability to polish brass, always log off, because there's always one Seinfield in the crowd.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whaaa?

saltpeter said:
That's a good one Bigmouth you got us, hardy, har, har.

This loses something in it's intended meaning when put into text???

Huh?

saltpeter

I don't think Bigmouth is actually going to send a letter to his CO. I think he's just joking to get a charge out of someone.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No worries mate...I'll take care of his welcome aboard letter for him...

r/
G

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya know...the Webmaster is going to a new squadron soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.