• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of Reconsideration to the Board

Canary

Hi everyone,
I was recently turned down by the Navy for the Surface Warfare position during the August Board meeting. They simply said that it was a competitive selection and my recruiter stated it was no surprise to him because that was the end of a fiscal year. He suggested that I should write a letter of reconsideration to the board for the October meeting. However, I am not sure what specifically should be included in the letter. I'm sure they turned me down the first time for a reason and I wouldn't want the same mistake included in the letter twice. At first, I wanted to state my struggles and how being a minority would bring diversity into the field and services, but I thought that is too cliche. Nonethless, after getting turned down I felt so sad and much of what I wrote are only my struggles. But I am determined to still going for the Navy and just need more information, inputs and strategies regarding what is necessary to be included in the reconsideration letter to teh board.

Thank you!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Hi everyone,
I was recently turned down by the Navy for the Surface Warfare position during the August Board meeting. They simply said that it was a competitive selection and my recruiter stated it was no surprise to him because that was the end of a fiscal year. He suggested that I should write a letter of reconsideration to the board for the October meeting. However, I am not sure what specifically should be included in the letter. I'm sure they turned me down the first time for a reason and I wouldn't want the same mistake included in the letter twice. At first, I wanted to state my struggles and how being a minority would bring diversity into the field and services, but I thought that is too cliche. Nonethless, after getting turned down I felt so sad and much of what I wrote are only my struggles. But I am determined to still going for the Navy and just need more information, inputs and strategies regarding what is necessary to be included in the reconsideration letter to teh board.

Thank you!

All due respect, but I don't think the Officers on the board really want to hear your minority sob-story. Tell them why you are re-applying, why you are absolutely positive you want to be a Naval Officer, and what you will bring to the team. Tell them and SHOW them how determined you are. I'm only telling you this because I was declined in the slaughter that was the April 2008 board. I re-applied, and in my reconsideration statement I flat-out told them that I'm going to keep applying until they accept me, or get too old, or they just tell me to stop.

Good luck, don't give up. If this is your dream, just keep your head down and keep churning until you're there. :D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
All due respect, but I don't think the Officers on the board really want to hear your minority sob-story. Tell them why you are re-applying, why you are absolutely positive you want to be a Naval Officer, and what you will bring to the team.
I agree, the board knows your demographic, if you pulling minority-cards now, what are you going to pull in the fleet?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I agree with JT as I was in almost exactly the same boat as him. Also, DEFINATELY do not use the minority sob-story if only because it infuriates the shit out of me. :icon_tong

It's just my strongly held belief that race, religion, and AA in general have no place in the selection for national defense. I just want to help you avoid going down what many might consider a less-than-honorable path.

Good luck on the reconsideration.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of stats are you rockin? I don't see any other posts for you in the Aug. board thread... I don't mean this rude at all, I just wanted to see how competitive your package is, stacked against the other SWO apps we've had

Canary

Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of stats are you rockin? I don't see any other posts for you in the Aug. board thread... I don't mean this rude at all, I just wanted to see how competitive your package is, stacked against the other SWO apps we've had

I just started using the forum today. Could u please direct me the link for the Oct. board thread? Once again, I really appreciate all the inputs from you guys. And for stats I am not sure what you are referring to, please clarify.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
I just started using the forum today. Could u please direct me the link for the Oct. board thread? Once again, I really appreciate all the inputs from you guys. And for stats I am not sure what you are referring to, please clarify.

He means ASTB/GPA/Major, etc.

nugget61

pilot
So threadjack, but does reapplying in general make you more competitive? I would think that the board would see you really want the position, and count that as a merit.

And fixed :icon_wink
I re-applied, and in my reconsideration statement I flat-out told them that I'm going to keep applying until they accept me, or get too old, even if they just tell me to stop.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
So threadjack, but does reapplying in general make you more competitive? I would think that the board would see you really want the position, and count that as a merit.

And fixed :icon_wink

Who knows for sure, but I was accepted the 2nd time. Also, yes, I probably would have kept sending them applications out of spite. :D

Nikki2184

I think re-applying has more to do with timing than with showing determination. I got accepted on my 4th time up! The first couple times I applied, they were only taking 1-2 applicants per board. My recruiter ended up telling me to wait until the next fiscal year to re-apply. Got accepted first board in October.
Like JT, in my re-submit letter I basically said I'm gonna keep applying until I get accepted because I want a commission and I know I'll be a good officer.

asa66

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

I had to apply three times before I wore them down. The Navy values motivation above almost anything else. GO for it and be sure to be positive. Any whining and you are D.O.A. Good luck!