• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

letter of rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
This post is for LT_SNA_USMC, or anybody else that might have some insight on this. I almost have my application for PLC put together. My problem I'm having is letter of recommendations. How important are they and did anybody have any trouble getting them? I'm having a problem specifically with getting recomendations from my college professors. Like a lot of people, I never really got to know my teacher at all. DOO! Anyways, Even the chairman for my department of my degree won't give me one without having taken a class with him or known him for sometime. The board meets for the first time November 7th. Well, that gives me less than a month to do something. Well, I realize that I may have to send my app. later. If anyone came across the same problem or have ideas, let me know. Thanks guys.

Bighead

Hey can you tell me what I need to be getting together for my PLC package. Any input would be great.

jet_ifr

Letters of Rec are either the icing on the cake or the thing that gets you out of the "maybe" pile on the selection board's desk. I think for USMC programs you need three letters minimum, and five is the max. You need a letter from a prof (or employer), one from a dean, and another from someone that knows you well and can comment on your personality and integrity. The recommendations are in a X in the block form, and you can have your recommender include a letter if the so choose. Your college prof's will give you recommendations based on the grade(s) you produced in their classes. Your dean will give you a recommendation that reflects whether or not you've been on double secret probation. The thing about recommendations to remember is that if the recommender hasn't observed something listed on the form (like adaptability to living in close proximity to others) they just mark "unobserved." It doesn't count against you if the recommender didn't mark the box. You've got plenty of time to get them together, get them from your OSO and make the recommender do them ASAP, tell them it's a matter of national security or some shit to get them to do it.

good luck-

john

klostman

the happy dance!
Your college prof's will give you recommendations based on the grade(s) you produced in their classes. Your dean will give you a recommendation that reflects whether or not you've been on double secret probation. The thing about recommendations to remember is that if the recommender hasn't observed something listed on the form (like adaptability to living in close proximity to others) they just mark "unobserved." It doesn't count against you if the recommender didn't mark the box. You've got plenty of time to get them together, get them from your OSO and make the recommender do them ASAP, tell them it's a matter of national security or some shit to get them to do it.

Jet, what do you mean by double secret probabtion? Are you saying I should have no problem getting my professors letter of recommendation without really knowing them on a personal level? Thanks again.

klostman

the happy dance!
Originally posted by klostman
Your college prof's will give you recommendations based on the grade(s) you produced in their classes. Your dean will give you a recommendation that reflects whether or not you've been on double secret probation. The thing about recommendations to remember is that if the recommender hasn't observed something listed on the form (like adaptability to living in close proximity to others) they just mark "unobserved." It doesn't count against you if the recommender didn't mark the box. You've got plenty of time to get them together, get them from your OSO and make the recommender do them ASAP, tell them it's a matter of national security or some shit to get them to do it.

Jet, what do you mean by double secret probabtion? Are you saying I should have no problem getting my professors letter of recommendation without really knowing them on a personal level? Thanks again

jet_ifr

watch the movie Animal House to understand what double secret probation is. I should've clarified this anyway, if your dean doesn't know you personally (most likely) they will give you a recommendation on whether or not you are or were a disciplinary problem, like alcohol violations if your campus is dry or honor code violations (cheating), or any other bad stuff like academic probation. I had a few (read 6) campus alcohol violations (extremely dry campus which sucked) by the time I graduated and had no problem getting a favorable recommendation from my dean of students. I didn't know the dean at all and he just penciled in the comments block on the recommendation form "no personal relationship with applicant." Your professors WILL give you a recommendation based on the performance you demonstrated academically, and if you know/knew them personally that's great too, just extra icing on the cake. You don't have to know your prof's/dean in a chummy way to get favorable recommendations. Basically the Marines (and Navy if that's your route) are looking to see that you're not some sort of social reject unable to bear an academic burden.

Hope this helps,

John

Lt_SNA_USMC

Jet_ifr covered it all. I hardly rememeber doing the letters of rec thing. I do remember that I had a hard time getting them to return them to my OSO, so I hand delivered some of them and called and bugged them after that. Also, for PLC, I do not believe the board meets for that until the spring. I may be wrong, but I did not get officially accepted until like March before I went in May/June. Hope this helped. Semper fi.
Lt. Williamson, USMC

klostman

the happy dance!
Of course, Animal House. How could I forget Jet_Ifr? Thank you thank you. I just talked to my OSO and he told me the same things you guys told me. Thanks again. The thing for the board meeting on November 7th is accurate. I'm in Denver, so I imagine that covers a few other states as well. But I believe its just the first meeting the board has.

The Bob

What does the board look for in a recommendation?

Specifically, I am interested in Intel or SWO. Two of my recommendations, one a Congressman and another a soon to be Senator from the state of XX (my boss), both of whom I worked for have basically said that any time I need anything, just ask. What this means is that they'll write anything I ask them to write. Again, what does the board look for in a recommendation?

Oh, and is the board based out of DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.