• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Let's Get Mad at France

Status
Not open for further replies.

manny7_99

That was probably The French Foreign Legion, whose members aren't fully french (At least, not initially) and thus, more "expendable." I would be highly surprise if it was their regular Army.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The French have extensive bases in their former foreign colonies in West and Central Africa. They still have extensive interests there, which is why they still get involved pretty often down there.

You are right about the Foreign Legion probably being in the thick of it, the French don't mind those foreigners getting killed. BTW, you cannot be a French citizen and enlist in the Foreign Legion, even though some French lie and say they are not citizens to get in.

JimmyK

Ok I dont like to be the stupid high school kid, but here it goes. What exactly is the french foreign legion? I've heard about it and always though it was just another branch of the french military, but by reading everyones replys I think that may not be correct.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
"In no way is France there to destabilize Ivory Coast and its institutions or take sides," the French Foreign Ministry said in a statement. It is above all concerned with preserving constitutional legality. There is no hidden agenda."

Isn't that what you're suppossed to say when you are caught with your proverbial hand in the cookie jar? I hope this makes it to the mainstream media! I think it's about time people understand that things aren't as rosey as some claim them to be... like um France, Germany, Democrats. ;)

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
and i suppose Republicans don't also have pairs of rose-colored glasses?

"...we will be greeted as liberators with flowers and candy..."

manny7_99

Excellent Link VarmintShooter, I was about to post the same one (though in French :eek: , so not sure that would've helped, lol.)

The Legion is comprised by soldiers (or legionnares) of all nationalities. Thay are a highly trained force, and very very capable. They are always France's "first to fight" and thus, more expendable force. Some guys I know in the Corp have trained with them and have nothing but the utmost respect for those guys. Much more, I've known of some Jarheads leaving to France in order to join the Legion. Most do love it. I am not sure I'd like to fight for France though ,lol. Although, they (all Legionnares) don't consider that they fight for france, they believe they are fighting for the Legion and each one of its members; their mottos is "Legio Partia Nostra" which means "The Legion is our homeland." Oh! and if you go to the Legion, US law prohibits you from joining or re-joining the US military (Just thought I'd mention it in case someone is interested. On the other side, if you are not an American and are looking to be part of one of the most elite fighting forces in the world go ahead by all means, it'll be hard though!)

Although comprised by foreigners they all must master french (conversational french and basic written) within a year and after 5 years in service they are able to naturalize and become french citizens. Most of their member are trying to get away from routine, some hardship in their past and others simply want be part of an Elite fighting force. They give you room and board and lots of tough and highly demmanding training, also paying you from Euros 1000 and up (according to rank and time.) Lastly, their Parachute regiment (2REP) is highly respected all over the world, they even have combat divers, etc. Oh! and their Officers always come from the enlisted ranks. They dont have commissioning programs (unlike the reg french army or even us), only the best NCOs make the leap into being an officer. That is something I thought was particularly interesting.

Anyway, hope this helps Jimmy K and others curious about the FFL.

They were at Dien Bien Phu, heavily involved while the French were in Vietnam in fact.

They've been France's expeditionary force, essentially.

But the reason I brought this up was the same El Cid mentioned. They do this and still get to criticize us for our involvement worldwide.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
My father toured a camp of Legionnaires back in the early 80s in Sudan... said they looked like the meanest bunch of guys you've ever seen, definitely Not the "French Army" stereotype. They get deployed to some really bad places to do the dirty work for France.

A lot of them join because they get their past erased after serving. They're involved in some bad stuff and need a new name and citizenship to get away from it. Bottom line, don't screw with these guys, they're bad news.

Here's some more info...
http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Manny explained it really well. I have read pretty extensively about them and they seem to be some pretty tough hombres. A few small details were wrong though.

Oh! and if you go to the Legion, US law prohibits you from joining or re-joining the US military

US law actually prohibits you from serving in a foreign armed force, and you could lose your citizenship for it, as several have in the past. This has not been universally applied though as in the case of the Flying Tigers/AVG (all mercenaries originally, with Roosevelts explicit conset and backing), and presently the Israeli armed forces. There are many dual citizens of the US and Israel and the US who serve in the IDF with no adverse action taken against them. Same goes for Americans who join the Legion.

Oh! and their Officers always come from the enlisted ranks. They dont have commissioning programs (unlike the reg french army or even us), only the best NCOs make the leap into being an officer. That is something I thought was particularly interesting.

I think this is only for the foreign born guys who join the Legion. I think most of their officers are French who get assigned to the Legion for a tour and maybe their career, like US Army guys going to Ranger regiments. Not 100% sure though.

Interesting fact, when de Gaulle decided to quit Algeria, the birthplace of the Legion, several Legion regiments revolted along with regular French Army units. Those regiments were disbanded after the revolt fizzled out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But the reason I brought this up was the same El Cid mentioned. They do this and still get to criticize us for our involvement worldwide.

I hate to split hairs again (ahhhhh, no I don't), but many of the troops are there on a UN mandate and most of the French trrops were there long before the civil war started. The recent trouble started when some Ivory Coast government warplanes struck rebel positions in the north. They then bombed a French base and killed 9 or 10 French troops. UN mandate, that is the big difference that they would point out. Should we need the UN to sign off on our interventions? I personally don't think so. But many people around the world do, just trying to point out there side of the argument.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
I met Britisher that was in the Legion, he is one tough mother. He said that the Legion is shock troops that go in when it is too dangerous for the regulars. He also said that FFL would give you a complete new identity if you wanted or needed one to escape a previous life.

Status
Not open for further replies.