• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Less know aircraft

Tom

pilot
Contributor
The other day I was curious and found a website listing the current Naval inventory of aircraft. It lists I know about the more common aircraft that people get out of flight school, but how often do the other aircraft have slots available like a C-20 or C-40? Also, how does one come by getting to be a C-40 pilot slot?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tom said:
The other day I was curious and found a website listing the current Naval inventory of aircraft. It lists I know about the more common aircraft that people get out of flight school, but how often do the other aircraft have slots available like a C-20 or C-40? Also, how does one come by getting to be a C-40 pilot slot?
Initially, almost never. These VR type aircraft (to include the C-9s still out there), are predominantly flown by reservists of some flavor.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
As a footnote to what Brett said, for a while the Navy was offering an active reserve program for certain newly-winged aviators. My roomate from college is flying C-9s out in CA, and another buddy is flying C-130s out of NOLA. As to whether or not that program is still active or not, I couldn't say. Send a PM to Macnamara if you have questions, and he might be able to help.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line, do not count on having any VR options when you select. They may pop up, but they are NOT the norm.

FLMarine

As said before they will pop up once in a while. One of my friends in the Navy got a C-130 reserve spot out of advanced so it is possible, but not usually the norm.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
To clear this question up a little.....the Navy offered VR transitions to studs in yg '02 and '03 to try and deal with a large excess of naval aviators. It was given to around 40 people, and incurred an active reserve (FTS) period of 2 yrs and a sel res commitment of 6 yrs after that. The slots were "Needs of the Navy" so there was a little of everything and it depended on what was available. For any student in yg's after '3, THERE ARE NO BILLETTS AVAILABLE! The program is not "closed" per se, but was more on an experimental basis to take care of a specific problem, and now is not deemed necessary. I am sure that every so often they may look at it and see if it might be useful again, but for now, there are NO VC-20 or 40 slots for you out of flight school. I am sure that this post will generate a lot of questions, and if forced I could lay an opinion out there as to the wisdom of taking one of these slots having dealt with this program a quite a bit in the last year.

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
Ferry Range

Just curious, but what is Ferry Range?

http://www.history.navy.mil/planes/fa18.htm

--------------
Range: Fighter mission: 400 nautical-mile radius

Attack mission: 575 nautical-mile radius

Ferry range: more than 2,000 nautical miles
---------------

Is that how far the plane can go without arnament moving from base to base?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OneOddGuy said:
Just curious, but what is Ferry Range?

http://www.history.navy.mil/planes/fa18.htm

--------------
Range: Fighter mission: 400 nautical-mile radius

Attack mission: 575 nautical-mile radius

Ferry range: more than 2,000 nautical miles
---------------

Is that how far the plane can go without arnament moving from base to base?
That's a one way trip - point A to B.

Brett