• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Length of Tours/Deployments

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I've asked this question a couple of times on this site, but can't get any answeres. I figured that I would make a topic out of it.

As a Marine Aviator/NFO, how many tours/deployments do you have to make in your tenure? How long are these tours? Can they be a land tour to another base or are they all sea tours on a boat? Thanks.

Semper FI

chccurd

EA-6B1,
In response to your questions, its going to be dependent on a lot of factors. I assume when you say "tenure", you mean the obligated 8-10 years of service for being an Aviator/NFO. I don't know how many deployments/tours you'd have to make, but I do know that the Marine Corps likes to alternate between FMF and non-FMF duty, if that helps any. Also, the time at sea is going to depend on what type of aircraft you fly. If you fly a KC-130, you're not going to get much sea time (obviously), but flying an F/A-18C would significantly increase your sea time. For the EA-6B, not much time is going to be spent on carriers, since the Navy's EA-6Bs cover the sea duty. Most of the EA-6Bs are based at MCAS Cherry Point, so most of the tours will be on land. I couldn't tell you how long these tours would be, but I'd assume they'd be around three years. Well, I hope this helps a bit.

-Chris

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks chccurd. I have another question. What aircraft are in the Marine Corps fleet, and what time comittment is made to each. I know that the Corps has the AV-8 Harrier, F/A-18 but I dont know what models, EA-6B, CH-53E, AH-1 Super Cobra. I know that there are more, so I would like for someone to post them if you could please. Thanks.

Semper FI

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
UH-1 Huey, CH-46 Sea Knight and C-130. It's an 8 year contract for fixed wing aircraft and 6 year contract for helo's.

Rainman

pilot
Hey boom. .Don't forget the mighty Herc. Not sure if it's changed any, but on my contract it is still a six year contract (after winging).

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Josh, did you get Maritime?

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
A lot depends on which aircraft you are assigned. I was a helo driver so I can address that. If you go East or West (AH-1W, UH-1N, CH-46E, or CH-53E) generally you have to do 2 floats (each about 6 months). However, after your first deployment, some officers are assigned orders to an infantry unit to be a FAC so you do your 2nd pump walking with the grunts. After you get an overseas control date (anywhere from 3 to 5 years at your first duty station) then you are eligible for a "B" billet tour ("B" billet tours are also about 3 years). If you are assigned CH-46E's at Okinawa or CH-53D's in Hawaii, I believe you go there for a minimum of 3 years - however your sea time is much less (especially the 53 Bubbas)

gsavy10

What do you mean that officers are pulled into infantry? How long does this last? Please explain. Also what is FAC?

46Driver

A "FAC" is a Forward Air Controller which uses pilots assigned to ground units (infantry, tanks, etc.). These billets are integral to the Marine Ground / Air Task Force (MAGTF for short) and what makes Marine Air especially effective. You call bombs in on target for fast movers or attack helicopters - or help coordinate landing sites for the transports.
How it works is that after every deployment cycle, there are a number of billets on the ground side that need to be filled. These billets are filtered down from Wing to Group to the individual squadrons - and generally the Commanding Officer decides which pilots he wants to send to the ground side and which ones he wants to keep flying in his squadron - so basically you are "volunteered"... However, if you know this is coming, you can speak to the monitor at HQMC ahead of time and volunteer for a FAC tour with generally the assignment of your choice following it. (A FAC tour last from 12 to 18 months.) The ups and downs of this are that you are not seen as having "fleet credibility" in your MOS until you have done 2 pumps as a pilot - however, a ground tour is definitely a plus when it comes to promotion. And believe it or not, most of the bubbas that do a FAC tour actually like it.

46Driver

"Bubba" is just a generic name for pilot. It is generally used more in the helicopter community.

bluto

EA6B
On the fixed wing side of the house (at least the Hornets), you'll deploy about once every year and a half for a six month pump, be that either on the boat or to Iwakuni, Japan on a UDP rotation (we're on our seventh month right now) With more squadrons going to the boat in the future expect these deployments to be more with the carriers. With the boat you also need to consider the workup in the preceding 6 months to deployment (you're either on the boat or in fallon for a good three months of those 6) 46Driver is absolutely right about FAC tours. The same applies to Hornet drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.