• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Lemoore FA-18 Crash

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Blasphemy!

Boat flying is the best kind of flying there is... except the night traps. Those still suck. You can't look me in the virtual AW eye and tell me that a day dick-around SSC line in the middle of the ocean haven't been some of the greatest moments in your life. It is cool on cruise, that's why we endure the pain.

cruise is cool........being front and center on the stage of world events has been probably the coolest experience I've ever had. I'd never say it isn't worth it. I just didn't particularly enjoy the boat. Though honestly, that was probably 10% the flying, and 90%
That hurts me to my deepest core. The CAVU day 45 minute BFM cycle back to the shit-hot is one of the greatest flights in aviation.

That would probably have been cool, but that never existed for us on cruise, nor did the good deal SSC really.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's why you do other stuff while you're "doing" SSC. I like to chat up the bridge watch on ch 16 as I'm doing passes on random Grp IIIs. Sometimes you get some interesting responses.

While playing in a PANAMEX, we were out looking for a "bad actor" mixed among the White Shipping. Naturally the Shoes had given us a complete crap intel brief on what we were looking for ("Look for a Group 3!"), we started bother every poor freighter out there.

At one point the ship was calling a G3 we were orbiting on 16 via our COMREL. "M/V Umptysquat, this is Warship..."

"M/V Umptysquat, this is Warship..."

As my H2P watched me start punching things in the cockpit because of how obvious it was that the bridge watch wasn't up 16, I finally asked the Mom, "Hey, this is ridiculous. Do you want us to go wake them up?" After the light bulb went on on our ship, they said sure. A potential non-compliant vessel...maybe this is our guy.

Seconds later after the bridge watch on Umptysquat had been "made aware" that U.S. Navy needed their attention with our angry hover, they came up on 16.

Naturally it wasn't our "bad actor" and just some poor watch stander not paying attention.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cruise is cool........being front and center on the stage of world events has been probably the coolest experience I've ever had. I'd never say it isn't worth it. I just didn't particularly enjoy the boat. Though honestly, that was probably 10% the flying . . .
I really didn't mind "the boat" per se. I mean I wouldn't want to live onboard for a tour or anything, but still. If life was bad for me on the boat, it generally wasn't the boat's fault. It was because of some asshole or group of assholes who also happened to be on said boat with me.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I enjoyed the flying and the airwing camraderie around the boat. The living situation, the egos, the top-down BS, the emergencies, and the food (mostly) took away from that. Maybe that's why TSTA was my favorite boat workup. Tons of flying, mostly day traps, very little LFE mission planning, and none of the micromanaged metric BS that came with COMPTUEX and cruise. That month on the boat flew by. Now on shore, I do miss the case one pattern from time to time... but I never miss night or pitching deck.

Back on topic, I am glad the pilot is apparently OK, and curious to see what happened. For the less-than-experienced faces in the crowd, mishaps like this are an opportunity for all of us to learn, not a spectacle to throw wild guesses about or judge. Speculation is human nature, but part of compartmentalizing is keeping a lid on it when someone else's life or career is on the line.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I really didn't mind "the boat" per se. I mean I wouldn't want to live onboard for a tour or anything, but still. If life was bad for me on the boat, it generally wasn't the boat's fault. It was because of some asshole or group of assholes who also happened to be on said boat with me.
I didn't mind life on the boat as ships company when the MEU wasn't onboard. When the MEU embarked it got crowded and the food got worse. But, as with the NOB vs SD thread, I must be the exception. I had a great command: minimal BS, lots of responsibility, minimal micromanagement, good sailors who mostly stayed out of trouble, and good chiefs who kept me in the graces of the mess.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I might need a picture, video, some sort of diagram...

While some may claim it doesn't exist, it's well documented that the actual, correct use of the term "angry hover" really applies to when trying to land on a small boy and the bridge can't get their shit together fast enough to get a green deck. This is understandable, as the fact that the helicopter needs to land at a set time is, of course, a COMPLETE surprise. This could probably be mitigated by some sort of daily document that delineates aircraft usage, but I digress...

So proper use of the angry hover is to shoot your initial approach to the back of the ship with a red deck, and instead of waving off, you hover at the HARS bar, just aft of the transom. Bonus points if the ship's CO is up on the O-2 level working out. The longer the hover authorizes the more irate on the radio you can get, although that's technique.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Ahhh... This sounds like it's from the same category as the angry wave-off.

Surely the Boss, Handler, FDO, and every other conspirator still towing jets around the LA fifteen minutes after the published recovery time (and therefore keeping me from midrats), will know how angry I am by how violently I slam the throttles forward.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Ahhh... This sounds like it's from the same category as the angry wave-off.

Surely the Boss, Handler, FDO, and every other conspirator still towing jets around the LA fifteen minutes after the published recovery time (and therefore keeping me from midrats), will know how angry I am by how violently I slam the throttles forward.
Kill the guy who keeps me from midrats, doesn't he know it's the most important meal of the night! ;)