• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lemoore and Oceana questions...

spikrleft

Banned
Hey all,

I browsed through all the various threads about the pros and cons of going to either Lemoore or Oceana for Fleet tours. Sounds like the only thing Lemoore is really missing is a bit more decent of a climate and some civilization.

That said, how's the social life in Oceana? Any Navy-backlash from the local women?

And yes, Lemoore is in the middle of nowhere, but how feasible is it to get out to other places (i.e. San Fran, LA, the national parks, skiing areas)?

What I guess I'm saying is the only reason I'd think about going to Oceana is for a semblance of a social life after living in Meridian.

Any thoughts or experience to this?

popofosho

There is a grip of lakes in that area of California. Not sure what your into, but if your looking for glass and wanna get out on a shred stick there is plenty of that available. Lake Tahoe or Mammoth is prob gonna be ur best bet for a good snow skiing time. Yosemite is near by

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
If you're more of an outdoors/small town type of person THAT LIKES MOUNTAINS, you'd probably prefer Lemoore. Fishing, boating, hiking, camping, skiing, etc. is easily accessible. Lemoore is a small town without much for "social" activities. Fresno is the closest city, about 30 miles north, but it's not huge. San Francisco is accessible (mostly interstate driving), but still a 3 1/2 hour drive. LA is about the same, and San Diego is 5+ hours.

If you want a social life, Hampton Roads has more of that in spades. It may not be the most hopping place on the map, but it'll beat Meridian and Lemoore by leaps and bounds. There is also quite a bit to offer in terms of water sports and it's very easy to get away from "civilization" if that's your preference. If you want anything resembling a mountain you'll have to drive a long way to find one. (Mt. Trashmore is NOT a Mt.!!!)

I never noticed any serious "backlash" towards Navy guys from the local ladies, but keep in mind that you're not the only Hot Shot Naval Aviator in the area. Their knees aren't going to buckle if you tell them you're a "Fighter Pilot" or whatever, there's a bunch of "you guys" there. Don't be "That Guy" and they won't be "That Girl". During the summer there's a lot of tourism on the beach so you might be able to woo some outta town rich girl with it, but not the locals. ;)

Another thing to consider, and I don't know where you're originally from, but I noticed a huge difference in the general mindset of people on the opposite coasts. West Coast seems way more laid back than the East Coast to me. Not saying one is better than the other, but I'm from the West Coast and I was caught off guard a bit when I first got to the 757.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
I'm from the west coast, so as others have written, if you like the outdoors - namely mountains and forests, then you'll find plenty of that near Lemoore. It's not just Yosemite that's nearby, but Sequoia and Kings Canyon nat'l parks are all fairly close. And on the other side of those parks, you'll find some pretty beautiful places (and also some desolate) too. So if you're into camping, fishing, etc. you can definitely find those. Whitewater rafting during the spring is also great.

Fresno is a small city, but keep in mind, that's by California standards, as itself is 500k+ people (and over a million in its metro area). You will be a few hours drive from LA, the SF Bay Area, and Sacramento. If you like snow and skiing, Mammoth and Lake Tahoe are all excellent places for that, but are going to again be a few hours drive. You'll get all the CA benefits (and drawbacks) of basically being equally far from everywhere...

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Can anyone speak to the housing market has been in each recently? Over/undervalued now? Moving on afterward is it sound to keep a house as a rental?
Thanks.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
If you enjoy Meridian, go to Lemoore... if you liked aspects of Pensacola night life, go to Oceana. I know of ZERO people who wish they had gone to Lemoore at NTU.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Lemoore / Hanford are both pretty small, with little to no "social" interactions (available pretty girls). LA doesn't seem all that great unless you know some people there. San Diego is awesome, but it's a pretty long drive and not really practical for frequent visits. Haven't been to San Francisco yet. However, Yosemite and Sequoia are both pretty cool. I'd say go for Oceana if you like hitting the bars.

Population numbers:
Lemoore approx 28,000
Va Beach approx 500,000

You decide on social life aspects. With that said, traffic sucks and is issue if that matters. 6 bases in area so chance of homesteading, follow on order options available. And oh the housing....OUCH. Taking a hit in wallet when I sell....if I can sell.

CAMike

None
Contributor
As I've stated in other threads- IF you end up at NAS LeMoore, PM me and I can share some local intel info about places where you may find higher end women as well as where to go to for a nice evening in Fresno. No not "rentals", just above average gals.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would never, ever be one to defend the Hampton Roads area, but I will allow as it's better than Lemoore. If you're finding Meridian tedious, then you definitely don't want to go to Lemoore.

NASO isn't a bad base, especially to those of us who had to work down the road at Shoetown, USA. Many of the Hampton Roads area's biggest headaches - e.g., 64/264 traffic - are easy to avoid if you live in VB and work at NTU. Social scene isn't bad. Plenty of places to go do and be seen in Va Beach and downtown Norfolk. If you're the outdoorsy type, the Outer Banks are close at hand and the Blue Ridge are just a few hours away. The girls don't dislike Navy guys, by and large...but the "I'm a Navy Fighter Pilot" pickup line isn't going to impress them. Any given bar or club in VB on any given Saturday night, half the dudes there will be shooting down their oversized watches.