• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

leg pain at OCS?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I took a lot of motrin throughout OCS...it worked. Your legs WILL hurt in OCS. I was a decent runner when I showed up and still cut 1:25 off of my run. I had cramps from dehydration, and the standing made my back/hips/feet hurt. Any chance you get, put yer feet up. I did most of my studying in the room with my back against a wall and my legs up on the bed or on the desk. Also invest in some foot powder/spray. Athletes foot is a bitch, and can actually affect your PT if it gets bad enough. The black shoes are notorious for not breathing at all...and your laces will be too tight and you will be marching around in them.

I don't think PT was the causal factor of most of my pain, it was drill and lots of standing at attention in crappy uniform shoes.

And also remember, there is a difference between being in pain and being hurt. Hurt means you need to go see the doctor, your shit is broke and needs fixing. Pain means your body is building muscle/strength, burning fat, and you are getting in shape. You WILL be in pain at OCS, I can guarantee it. Don't be the guy going to medical all the time for it...

Last, but not least, if you REALLY need a break from PT, you will have an opportunity to stand watch in the morning from 0400-0600, which means you can miss it. Work it out with your watch bill coordinator (I like Mondays off, because Wed. was cardio and Fri. was usually less angry than Monday)

Pickle

MidWestEwo

None
Thanks for the tips. I guess I have an idea in my head that we will be running 15 miles per week at a fast pace or something. I don't think my legs could handle that in the shape they are in!

JSnake

Thanks for the tips. I guess I have an idea in my head that we will be running 15 miles per week at a fast pace or something. I don't think my legs could handle that in the shape they are in!

Well... you should be able to run 15 a week. Just take it slow at the start, start at 2 miles a day and you should be fine.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
Don't push it. If you're hurting as bad as you're leading on, chances are you are already injured or are close to it. You may possibly have just shin splints, a stress reaction or a stress fracture. In my case, I saw a doctor before OCS and he said that I had possibly torn some muscles but that I should be ok. After several weeks and an MRI in "H," I found that I had a stress fracture in my tibia. So, 9 weeks in "H" and currently waiting in Student Pool to class up in August, I'd say listen to your body and rest now while you can possibly prevent it. Too many miles too soon is not good. I was running 16 a week at a 7-8 minute mile pace, my prt was 10:21 and I was getting faster...then came the pain.

The doctor at the NACC said this to me, "if you're running, walking, anything and there is any sort of pain, you're further irritating the fracture and it's not healing." So take all the helpful running advice you need...the doctors tell me not to run everyday, but rather run every other day. "H" isn't the end of the world...I've seen far nastier candidates graduate. The problem with "H," unlike ODS, is that when wounded, you don't progress and if you come in with a fracture or fracture your leg during training, you will watch many classes graduate ahead of you.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I feel like I have a ton to update the world on...but not sure how much I can say. I'll say this...I came in with 20, 01+ will not be anything like 20 or even 28. OCS is changing.

JimD

Soon to be AMDO
I want to thank everyone for their words of advice in this thread, and the OP for making it. :D

I have been having mild shin pains as well. Today I went to a real running store, had my stride evaluated, and got proper shoes. The guy asked me to use them on a treadmill for the first few days in case I don't like them. I love them! I kept up a much nicer pace and for longer distance without any leg pains compared to my $30 running shoes from Target.

I fully endorse this thread! (for what it's worth :p )

dsevo

I'm having the same issue with shin splints. I have been using those neopreme lower leg wraps and they seem to help. Anyone else use those, and anyone know if I'll be able to take them to OCS with me? This lower leg pain is the only thing that is worrying me about OCS.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
The one thing that made all the difference in the world to me when it came to shin splints was getting a decent pair of running shoes! My advice to you (if you haven't done this already) is go to a professional "running" store. The one I went to in the Seattle area was called "Road Runner". They put me on a treadmill that was hooked up to a computer which disected my strides. It basically looked for the parts of my foot that were impacting the ground and thats how they made the recommendation on which running shoesI should get. Once I got into my first pair of Asics, no more pain. It was amazing.

Guppie15

pro-rec SWO
I have problems with my IT band. I ended up going to a running store and got a really nice pair of reeboks but 3 weeks into using them, I got really bad shin splints. Stopped using them and went out and got a pair of asics and shin splints went away but my it band is still giving me trouble.

I use a knee band right now when I run, but do you guys know if medical issues knee bands while at OCS? I don't know if I could run as much without it.

red_ryder

None
I remember when I first started training for OCS, I'd get shin splints pretty bad. I eventually realized I was pounding my heels when I ran, which was yanking on my shin muscles. I got a new pair of shoes, took it easy til it stopped hurting, and started stepping with the flat or ball of my foot, and haven't had a pain since.

I imagine as you get experience running, you'll get more efficient at it and figure out what works best for you.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I use a knee band right now when I run, but do you guys know if medical issues knee bands while at OCS? I don't know if I could run as much without it.

I don't know if medical there issues them or not. I don't remember seeing anyone wearing one, though we ran mostly in our sweats. If I were you, I would bring your knee band with me and just ask a doc there if you can wear it for the runs. If he says yes (which he probably will), ask him for a note, then if any DIs or chiefs give you a hard time you can just flash the note.

dsevo

The one thing that made all the difference in the world to me when it came to shin splints was getting a decent pair of running shoes! My advice to you (if you haven't done this already) is go to a professional "running" store. The one I went to in the Seattle area was called "Road Runner". They put me on a treadmill that was hooked up to a computer which disected my strides. It basically looked for the parts of my foot that were impacting the ground and thats how they made the recommendation on which running shoesI should get. Once I got into my first pair of Asics, no more pain. It was amazing.

I have been to 2 different running stores, the later putting me on a similar machine as you described. While my new shoes did seem to lessen the pain, it is defintely still there. I took a month off of running to make sure everything was healed, and now it is coming back. I just can't figure out what is wrong with my legs, as the running store lady said I have a very normal stride and pronation. I thought I would just be able to run through it, but that doesn't seem toi be the case. Regardless, I know I'll make it through, I just may suffer a little.

Other than leg pain, my running isn't an area I'm concerned about, so I plan on just taking it easy for the next month before I leave for OCS.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Not using Motrin. A dependence on ibuprofin (or anything else, for that matter) can have health consequences that can jack you up for life and prematurely end your career.

How long do you have before OCS? If you've got the time, take some time off from running. In the meantime, go to a dedicated running store (i.e., not a store at the mall where the staff dresses like referees) and get outfitted with quality shoes. Get with a running coach and trainer and develop a solid training plan for OCS. The money you will have to shell out in the short term for expert advice and quality gear will pay huge dividends at OCS - and your first paycheck will more than cover the investment you make now.

The best advice so far. ^^^^^^^^

Oh, and don't depend on internet diagnosis...might be good for some starting point gouge....but, don't let your career/health ride on it.