• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left Handed Pilots? Haha

georgiaboy

Hey guys, I got to thinking today in class(high school)--- from what I've seen, most/all aviators have a notepad/logbook on their right knee on their flightsuit. For left-handed pilots do they just put it on their left knee? Just curious. And also, is flying a left-hand/right-hand thing, or does everyone use the same hand, sort of like everyone drives(or should drive) with their right foot? Thanks so much for answering my questions. If you couldn't tell, i'm left handed.
-Luke

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Flown with a couple of pilots who would wear a kneeboarding on their left thigh. One had to turn it "in" so the collective wouldn't catch on it.

hobbstc

None
I'm right handed and wear mine on the left knee. Haven't had any problems hitting the collective. I didn't like it under my cyclic arm.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sometimes I have a KB on the right, some sort of gouge/gradecard/area profile tucked into my g-suit on the left, and am wondering if I'm going to need to use TWO KBs in instruments...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Left handed NFO, wear the kneeboard on my right knee. Easier to write with. Also kept me from elbowing the pilot.

teabag53

pilot
Left handed pilot. I had to sit and think for some time which leg I wear a kneeboard on (and I do wear one). Simple answer to your question is it isn't a factor. You'll figure out what works and be fine.

jtmedli

pilot
Sometimes I have a KB on the right, some sort of gouge/gradecard/area profile tucked into my g-suit on the left, and am wondering if I'm going to need to use TWO KBs in instruments...

Go to the NEX and get one of the clear leg straps. That should be good enough. I used two kneeboards, but only because I had one with clips on top and bottom for clipping in the approach plates.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I fly the jet right hand on the stick and left on the throttle (obviously---not much choice in the matter) but when it comes to flying GA aircraft I'm much more comfortable flying in the left seat with my left hand on the yoke and right on the throttle. It's really what you get used to.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm a lefty- I fly with my kneeboard on my left knee. Approach plates go on the right.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Go to the NEX and get one of the clear leg straps. That should be good enough. I used two kneeboards, but only because I had one with clips on top and bottom for clipping in the approach plates.

You have a pic or link to that type? If they're compact enough I might consider looking into one of those.

I'm a righty. I use one KB on the right and a clear leg strap for approaches, charts, w/e on the left.

jtmedli

pilot
You have a pic or link to that type? If they're compact enough I might consider looking into one of those.

I'm a righty. I use one KB on the right and a clear leg strap for approaches, charts, w/e on the left.

To be honest, the one I had was the old-style issue one and it's pretty clunky. You could probably rig one out of two clipboards or something pretty easily that would be pretty compact. Found this on sporty's. You could proly use it for plates too...
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9220

The one I have is something like this: (big and clunky but works my skinny legs :()
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9206