• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving USNA

BugDriver

pilot
If I may make a suggestion for some action...

(I'll leave the encouraging words to everyone else who's posted here, although I do agree with the sentiments.)

1. Request admissions applications from two other colleges you would prefer to attend next year. Do it THIS weekend (read: not when your time would be better spent studying come-around trivia or cramming for that awful plebe Chem class). Then, when it gets bad and you think you want to quit Annapolis, pull out an application and start working on it. When you force your mind to focus on that essay question, "Why do you feel [Our University] is the place for you?" you'll: (a) have a daydream to take you out of Bancroft Hall; (b) force yourself to really address your goals in life; and (c) be focusing your negative energy on something productive should you actually decide to leave.

(I kept that application in my top desk drawer and *did* pull it out quite frequently -- Plebe AND Youngster year. For me, the problem was that I kept coming up with a transfer essay that started, "I want to deal death from the sky to f*ckers taking cheap shots at my brothers in arms, and to take the fight to the enemy before they have another chance to bring it to us." I never did finish that transfer app. But who knows, maybe you'll follow through with it -- at least it won't be wasted time.)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Helmetfire's advice is good: Find something to distract from the sh!t you have to deal with on a daily basis. Plebe and youngster year, I played rugby. Personally, I don't think there's any better way to get your frustrations out than to inflict moderate bodily harm on someone in a competitive environment. After they told me it was either play rugby (and risk another shoulder injury) or fly... Well, not much of a choice in my book, but by that time I'd pretty much gotten the hang of things there. And I had a best friend who would let me punch him in the head whenever I was frustrated, so that helped, too. Of course, I had to reciprocate and let him punch ME in the head, too. Looking back, though, it seems like he was frustrated a lot more often than I was...

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
I agree with helmetfire as well. When I was a plebe, I had other college apps at my desk and I swore to the high heavens I was going to get the hell out of there. I was what you call a sh!tty plebe as well. I played sprint football and then rugby and the athletics were great distractors from my misery. Most of the grads will attest that plebe year was one of the most miserable years of their lives, at least mine was. I hated that place so bad...i am sure you know IHTFP. But the decision to stay and graduate was the best decision I ever made, like some others, I got my first choice at service selection and a great degree. You make awesome friends and you will have a great job and opportunity at a great career. When I walked across the stage and got the diploma, plebe year was a fart in the wind...all but forgotten. Had I left I would have deeply regretted it....I couldn't imagine doing anything else....

usunkmybship

I read all your comments and had a talk with my Company Officer yesterday telling him how I felt. He basically said the same thing when it comes to the academy being nothing like the fleet. I have several meetings tomorrow to discuss this. I want to give youngster year a shot and I know someday I would deeply regret leaving. I am just really unsure about staying in the military at the moment.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Glad you decided to give youngster year a shot. Even if you decide to leave, you'll not have made a mistake by staying.

Take it from me, plebe year isn't the stick by which to measure USNA with... If I had, I'd not be sitting in Pensacola right now.

Just keep your head up and nose clean and you'll be golden. And get as much rack time as you can... it helps.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Good on you for deciding to stick it out a while more. Give it your all and see where you are during youngster year.