• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving USAFA to Pursue Naval Aviation

BeyondBowl

Hello,

I've recently separated from the Air Force Academy due to a mild color deficiency. With additional testing, they said I'm not good enough for the AF but the Navy will take me. They also told me there are no waivers for this issue. I was very distraught as I've never had color blindness issues in the past (even going through DODMERB). I just missed the mark on the Cone Contrast Test on one color. They had me take another test called the CAT test I believe and they brought in two doctors from the Aviation Medical group at Wright-Patt AFB and they confirmed it. I am barely below the mark for the Air Force but they later said that I meet the mark for the Navy. Weird...I know.

I'm considering my options as I have 70 credit hours and will be going into my junior year. I only took core classes so my GPA is 2.95/4.0. I saw that most NROTC units are a 3-year minimum commitment. Would it be possible to do no scholarship NROTC in 2 years (assuming CO approval)? Or should I just finish off my degree and shoot for OCS?

I'm looking to major in something business related which I know is less desirable for NROTC given the tier system for college majors. I know it doesn't matter and I'd still have to take the ASTB but I had a 98 PCSM score, with 99 AFOQT pilot score, with previous flight experience (PPL).

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful and please correct me if I said anything wrong. Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

Hello,

I've recently separated from the Air Force Academy due to a mild color deficiency. With additional testing, they said I'm not good enough for the AF but the Navy will take me. They also told me there are no waivers for this issue. I was very distraught as I've never had color blindness issues in the past (even going through DODMERB). I just missed the mark on the Cone Contrast Test on one color. They had me take another test called the CAT test I believe and they brought in two doctors from the Aviation Medical group at Wright-Patt AFB and they confirmed it. I am barely below the mark for the Air Force but they later said that I meet the mark for the Navy. Weird...I know.

I'm considering my options as I have 70 credit hours and will be going into my junior year. I only took core classes so my GPA is 2.95/4.0. I saw that most NROTC units are a 3-year minimum commitment. Would it be possible to do no scholarship NROTC in 2 years (assuming CO approval)? Or should I just finish off my degree and shoot for OCS?

I'm looking to major in something business related which I know is less desirable for NROTC given the tier system for college majors. I know it doesn't matter and I'd still have to take the ASTB but I had a 98 PCSM score, with 99 AFOQT pilot score, with previous flight experience (PPL).

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful and please correct me if I said anything wrong. Thank you.
I personally never saw an individual who was color deficient cleared for a designator that required color vision, the interesting part is I know 2 individuals (via their parents) that were color deficient and not cleared for the USN but cleared for USAF, one is at the USAFA and the other already graduated and has completed flight training.

For the USN this is the test to pass per the navy medical manual which is the first step. The part below is what I am referencing when I saw a person color deficient not getting cleared, I believe what it means is if you can score a 10 or 11 then when you get to NAMI they will give you the alternate test.

(d) Lack of adequate color vision is dis-
qualifying. Adequate color vision is demonstrated
by:
(1) Correctly identifying at least 10 out of
14 Pseudo-isochromatic Plates (PIP)

Then NAMI has this test. section 2 is eliminated as it no longer applies to new applicants.

COLOR TESTS:
1. Pseudo-Isochromatic Plates (PIP) are considered a primary test of color vision.
Approved: Ishihara 38-plate edition, Pseudoisochromatic Ishihara Compatible
(PIPIC) 24-plate edition, ColorDx Standard 24-Plate Edition.
a. Scoring: 12 (or more) of 14 correctly identified red/green numerical test plates
constitutes a passing score. Passing criteria is 12 or more plates correctly read,
i.e., no more than 2 errors.
b. Use one demonstration and 14 test plates (the orange number on page one is a
demo plate only, and not a test plate, and should not be counted). Directions:
Best corrected vision, Daylight Illuminator stand or a light source ~ 6500 degree
Kelvin temperature “Daylight” fluorescent bulb, three seconds each page, no
tracing allowed, random order. Regular white incandescent bulbs may not be
used as they reduce the sensitivity of the test.
c. Other editions of pseudoisochromatic plates may not have the correct types of
plates (numbers only required). Research has shown that individuals scoring 11
(or less out of 14) on the PIP test do not have normal color vision.

3. Computerized Color Vision Tests (CCVT) may be either used as a primary test of color
vision, or may be used as a backup test for PIP or FALANT failures.
Computerized Tests (validated and approved):
a. Waggoner CCVT: A score of “normal” or “mild” color vision deficiency in red,
green or blue is acceptable for aviation. Tested binocularly (both eyes open).
May test monocularly for isolating and tracking acquired color vision defects.
Both desktop and tablet versions are acceptable.
b. Colour Assessment & Diagnosis (CAD, City University London): A score of
less than or equal to 6 CAD units for all three cone types in each eye is
acceptable. This test is given binocularly (both eyes at the same time).
c. Cone Contrast Test (CCT, Rabin): A score of 55 or greater in each eye is
required for all three cone types. This test is given monocularly (one eye at a
time).
d. Computer tests shall be administered per manufacturer recommendations with
regard to distance, lighting, screen calibration, and monocular or binocular
testing. Best correction worn. Computerized tests must be utilized per
manufacturer’s instructions; such as administration processes and calibration,
room lighting, and screen brightness. Computer-printout grade sheets should be
submitted with the physical exam, to ensure objectivity and correctness.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Do you want an honest recommendation? Don’t try it - the Navy (and Army) will NPQ you as well. You are in a very good spot as a student in a solid school (free of debt) with a guaranteed job on graduation and lifelong connections. I don’t know the AF well enough, but are there aircrew jobs you can do like WSO or navigator even with your vision issue? I’d look into that.

That said, if the flying bug is really in you, get your PPL and once you’re commissioned fly as often as possible earning your commercial and then ATP. From there just work your way into the airlines and fly your days away. Bottom line, you are in a good place with one rain cloud on the horizon…stay the course.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Do you want an honest recommendation? Don’t try it - the Navy (and Army) will NPQ you as well. You are in a very good spot as a student in a solid school (free of debt) with a guaranteed job on graduation and lifelong connections. I don’t know the AF well enough, but are there aircrew jobs you can do like WSO or navigator even with your vision issue? I’d look into that.

That said, if the flying bug is really in you, get your PPL and once you’re commissioned fly as often as possible earning your commercial and then ATP. From there just work your way into the airlines and fly your days away. Bottom line, you are in a good place with one rain cloud on the horizon…stay the course.
Based on the post, they have already separated from the academy.

snake020

Contributor
Threadjack - they are separating from USAFA because of color vision? Seems a bit extreme given there are plenty of AFSCs that have no color vision requirement, or is USAFA on a hard line to push out as many rated officers as possible?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack - they are separating from USAFA because of color vision? Seems a bit extreme given there are plenty of AFSCs that have no color vision requirement, or is USAFA on a hard line to push out as many rated officers as possible?

I got that they may have chosen to leave on their own, no payback if you do it before you start junior year I believe.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Actually, this is not a lost cause.
Guy I met in primary was an AF academy grad. He requested to commission navy bc he didn’t make the cut for AF aviation due to color blindness. Navy standards are different and he was able to qualify and make it through the whole pipeline.

Pcoola19

I’d say take a little trip down to ole Pensacola with someone in the flight program and just have them take you to NAMI (call first). Ask them to run you through the color blindness tests and get an opinion straight from the approval source. Can’t hurt to ask.