• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving the USA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I just got a message from my NRD because I left the country on spring break and forgot to inform them. It was a stupid mistake, but I'm still new to this whole military thing.

I didn't do drugs or anything else illegal abroad.

Has this caused anybody trouble in the past? Please PM me if you can.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
It was an honest mistake. When I was over there I thought of it and knew I would have to inform them at a monthly meeting when I returned. Each month in BDCP we have a meeting to ask about doctor's visits, drugs, and I remembered they ask about trips out of the country also.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got a message from my NRD because I left the country on spring break and forgot to inform them. It was a stupid mistake, but I'm still new to this whole military thing.

I didn't do drugs or anything else illegal abroad.

Has this caused anybody trouble in the past? Please PM me if you can.

Even if I have time off (like for school breaks), I route leave papers if I'm going to be leaving the country. That way, if something happens, your minders/command can know what's going on and do what it can to help you out (or recover your body). Live and learn.

Brett

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I was told you have to get a leave chit filled out before you leave for 'liability' reasons. I have no idea what they will do, but probably a slap on the wrist? I was told I may have to get an over seas brief because I am going to Europe for my Spring Break.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys. And thanks RHPF, I hope it is just a slap on the wrist. I'm a little nervous about this because I'm obviously new to the Navy and I don't know how they handle this sort of thing.

I'm hoping if I do have to see a board about it they'll listen to my story and know it wasn't in ill will.

It also probably won't hurt me that I emailed them to tell them the reason I missed the monthly meeting and will have to do it later this week is because I left the country; so it was me that told them and they did not have to find out on their own.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I went to Canada, and told my processor last minute after mentioning it previously. He was irked but said no biggie this time. You're supposed to file a leave chit before you go. If it's Canada or Mexico, sometimes your recruiter or processor will hold onto it and toss it away when u get back without incident. Just remember whenever you leave CONUS, you MUST let people know!

themongol

You can get into a lot trouble if you travel to one of those "red flag" countries (ie north korea, china, cuba, etc) especially without telling you recruiter.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
My recruiter did mention something about blacklisted countries such as that. I assumed he was talking about our friends such as Iran, North Korea, etc.

The place I went to was loaded with American tourists, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
My recruiter did mention something about blacklisted countries such as that. I assumed he was talking about our friends such as Iran, North Korea, etc.

The place I went to was loaded with American tourists, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

Where the heck did you go? Nicaragua, cambodia, sierra leone?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They may want to make an example by turning up the heat so you don't err again, but it shouldn't be a showstopper.

Word to wise to ALCON, anytime you are in a position to interact with foreign nationals (even in US), you need to be talking to your security rep to inform them before the trip and to file a report afterwards. This is really important after you start getting exposed to classified material and can come up in your periodic reinvestigation(s).

Even on deployment, you need to be beware of friendly folks who want to chat you up...they may not always be what they seem.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even on deployment, you need to be beware of friendly folks who want to chat you up...they may not always be what they seem.
Spot on. Those yahoos down in Columbia talk too much....and they ask way too many damn questions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Funny how things are these days .... what with everyone checking theirs and everyone else's "6" .... TJ and other border towns used to be a rite of passage for young Midshipmen when in San Dog.

No leave papers were ever filed ... "just don't miss muster".
:) And no one did ...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny how things are these days .... what with everyone checking theirs and everyone else's "6" .... TJ and other border towns used to be a rite of passage for young Midshipmen when in San Dog.

No leave papers were ever filed ... "just don't miss muster".
:) And no one did ...

Well, FWIW, I wouldn't drop a leave chit just to go to TJ or Vancouver, but If I were camping in Baja for a week, I probably would. Besides, TJ is an abominable shit-hole. I enjoy Mexico best where there are no Mexicans. :D

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, FWIW, I wouldn't drop a leave chit just to go to TJ or Vancouver, but If I were camping in Baja for a week, I probably would. Besides, TJ is an abominable shit-hole. I enjoy Mexico best where there are no Mexicans. :D

Brett
No shit. Rosarito.....damn good fish tacos.

joboy_2.0

Contributor

Brett

Ya well I was in Toronto for a grand total of 4 days. The recruiter didn't think it was a biggie but the processor said next time I need to tell him more in advance...Toronto? Practically America..

@steve: EVERYONE loves fish tacos...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.