• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leave Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I was talking to Lt. Commander and he told me that if you are moving, you can go 30 days in the hole when it comes to leave (since I am not BDCP, I will not have any leave saved up). So I asked him if this applied to right after OCS also and he said yes and it shouldn't be too hard since I am SWO and going to a ship (as opposed to going to a school or whatnot). Others I've asked have seemed to agree about this. I figured since I am going SWO and won't use my 30 days a year anyways, it wouldn't be too bad to go into the hole with leave before I report to the ship I'm on. My questions are has anyone else heard about this or have done this. Also, if you have heard this or have done it, how do you go about doing this? Thanks!

EngineGirl

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yeah, you can go into the hole. However, depending on where your next port is, keep in mind that you'll have some "move days" which will not count as leave (though no "proceed" days, which blows), and that if you complete OCS without rolling, you'll have 7.5 days of leave in the books, so there's no way you'll go a full 30 days in the hole. Finally, it depends on what your orders say. If you graduate, say, in the middle of march, and your orders say report NLT Mar 05, you won't be able to use 30 days anyway.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Thisguy said:
Yeah, you can go into the hole. However, depending on where your next port is, keep in mind that you'll have some "move days" which will not count as leave (though no "proceed" days, which blows), and that if you complete OCS without rolling, you'll have 7.5 days of leave in the books, so there's no way you'll go a full 30 days in the hole. Finally, it depends on what your orders say. If you graduate, say, in the middle of march, and your orders say report NLT Mar 05, you won't be able to use 30 days anyway.

NLT March 05? Does that mean you have to report by the end of March? (Sorry, juts don't know). Do you not have an exact day you have to report on, just a date to report by? I wasn't planning on take 30 days, just a bit of time to spend time with family and boyfriend. Thanks again.

EngineGirl

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Right, if there's no day, then it means you have to check in by the end of the month. Obviously, if it's orders to a school, it's going to have a NET and NLT date on it. Orders to your command tend to be more flexible, and it's up to you how much leave you want to take.

Reactions: bch

Sabre170

None
I went into the hole when I PCS from stateside to Overseas. As long as you the time committment to balance your leave before you get out you should be fine.

H

Honour_Class

You shouldn't have any trouble with going a little bit in the hole.

The policy is usually set by the local commander or CO. Some get concerned if you are going more than 2 weeks into the hole, some more than 30 days. That starts to limit you, should you need to take leave for a bona fide crisis later. Even if they question it, in most cases you should be able to talk to them and they'll approve it. You will definitely have enough time in the Navy to clear any negative you could run up right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.