• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leave after OCS for BDCP

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
1) I remember reading on here (but could not find in a quick search) that there was a way to take either 16 or 18 days of un-charged leave after OCS, if you were BDCP. Something to the effect of getting to go home to get your belongings before reporting to your next station (PCOLA).

2) Does anyone know (I am getting different answers) what the deal on leave is after OCS before reporting to PCOLA? I have been told both that I need to go straight to API and check in, and then I can take leave, and that I can take leave before checking in.

3) From all of the reading and searching on here over the years I was pretty sure everyone was TAD moved to OCS, then TAD to API, then PCS to Primary. Right? For some reason I was PCS'ed here despite my orders saying TEMDUINST (which I was explained = TAD).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure how it works now that OCS is up north, but for us we just went across the street during candio phase and worked out our leave with API. My orders gave me like as much as 30 days of leave if I wanted it. Flight management said whatever leave I had put in for was great, but to be back the following thursday after commissioning. So what you are ALLOWED to take vice what you will take without pissing off flight management are two different things.

And what you are talking about going home is called a "home of record move". You are entitled to it as BDCP after OCS....just good luck on getting private property to understand wtf BDCP is. They still don't get it for me and I'm probably getting fvcked on my move out here for it....

Hope that helps! haha

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
And what you are talking about going home is called a "home of record move". You are entitled to it as BDCP after OCS....just good luck on getting private property to understand wtf BDCP is. They still don't get it for me and I'm probably getting fvcked on my move out here for it...

I am pretty sure executing an HOR move has nothing to do with leave or any kind of permissive TAD or time off. It's just a financial entitlement.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I am pretty sure executing an HOR move has nothing to do with leave or any kind of permissive TAD or time off. It's just a financial entitlement.

Yes but while OCS was in pcola, I believe BDCPers were entitled to a HOR move after OCS to move stuff to Pcola before API. I don't think straight OCS people were entitled to HOR until primary. Maybe I am/was wrong...

Josh

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes but while OCS was in pcola, I believe BDCPers were entitled to a HOR move after OCS to move stuff to Pcola before API. I don't think straight OCS people were entitled to HOR until primary. Maybe I am/was wrong...

Josh

Oh, ok. I thought you were implying that it got them extra time off.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud

Josh

I don't know that this is correct. I don't know if you're pilot of NFO, but pilots may not get a PCS move (NFOs will however). My husband was BDCP and we did not get a PCS move to P-cola after he graduated OCS. Things might be different now that OCS is in RI, but they counted A-Pool and API as TDY (I think that's what its called) time; therefore, P-cola was not considered a PCS move until he was to report to Milton for Primay. Again, I don't know that this is truth for OCSers at RI, but this was the case when my husband went through.

Also, my husband was able to take leave time after he graduated OCS, but it did count towards his PTO (or whatever they call it in the military) earnings.

I hope this helps some.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't know that this is correct. I don't know if you're pilot of NFO, but pilots may not get a PCS move (NFOs will however). My husband was BDCP and we did not get a PCS move to P-cola after he graduated OCS. Things might be different now that OCS is in RI, but they counted A-Pool and API as TDY (I think that's what its called) time; therefore, P-cola was not considered a PCS move until he was to report to Milton for Primay.

The HOR move is an entitlement separate from the moves you are entitled to upon receipt of PCS orders.

For example, an individual might receive PCS orders to the same geographic area as he is already stationed. For those PCS orders he would not be entitled to a HHG move, even if his new command is on the other side of town (think NS Mayport to NAS Jax or NNMC Bethesda to NSWC Dahlgren). BUT he may have been previously entitled to an HOR move, which he was saving for a rainy day. He could use the HOR move to move his HHG across town.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know that this is correct. I don't know if you're pilot of NFO, but pilots may not get a PCS move (NFOs will however). My husband was BDCP and we did not get a PCS move to P-cola after he graduated OCS. Things might be different now that OCS is in RI, but they counted A-Pool and API as TDY (I think that's what its called) time; therefore, P-cola was not considered a PCS move until he was to report to Milton for Primay. Again, I don't know that this is truth for OCSers at RI, but this was the case when my husband went through.

Also, my husband was able to take leave time after he graduated OCS, but it did count towards his PTO (or whatever they call it in the military) earnings.

I hope this helps some.

This makes sense to me and is what was told to me by personal property. however, PSD told me what I posted above, and apparently has screwed me, since PP has no idea wtf I (or they) are talking about.

Josh

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
This may be a dumb question, but how come the moving rules are different for BDCP and non-BDCP? I mean, whether I'm BDCP or not (which I'm not), I'm still going to have to move my stuff from Seattle Wa. to either P-Cola or Corpus for primary after API. See what I'm saying?

BackOrdered

Contributor
This may be a dumb question, but how come the moving rules are different for BDCP and non-BDCP? I mean, whether I'm BDCP or not (which I'm not), I'm still going to have to move my stuff from Seattle Wa. to either P-Cola or Corpus for primary after API. See what I'm saying?

My unprofessional speculation:

A great deal of it may have something to do with the fact you are enlisted when you are in BDCP. They're going to get 2 years of service from BDCP guys either by way of Newport or Great Lakes.

MasterBates

It has more to do with OCS is "initial accession" for non-BDCP guys.

BDCP it is a TEMDUINST stop and API/Primary are PCS orders.

Where as straight OCS is accession.

Think OCS for non-bdcp types as Great Lakes.

OCS For BDCPers is more akin to Aircrew school from an orders/entitlements standpoint.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
MasterBates (or anyone),
Any idea where I can find the official Navy document for what we discussed (Old Permanent Duty Station Move). That was what I was looking for, but now I apparently need to find the instruction that contains the needed info.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
MasterBates (or anyone),
Any idea where I can find the official Navy document for what we discussed (Old Permanent Duty Station Move). That was what I was looking for, but now I apparently need to find the instruction that contains the needed info.

The Joint Federal Travel Regulations contains almost all the regulations governing PCS, TDY/TAD, and similar related travel issues.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
1) I remember reading on here (but could not find in a quick search) that there was a way to take either 16 or 18 days of un-charged leave after OCS, if you were BDCP. Something to the effect of getting to go home to get your belongings before reporting to your next station (PCOLA).

2) Does anyone know (I am getting different answers) what the deal on leave is after OCS before reporting to PCOLA? I have been told both that I need to go straight to API and check in, and then I can take leave, and that I can take leave before checking in.

3) From all of the reading and searching on here over the years I was pretty sure everyone was TAD moved to OCS, then TAD to API, then PCS to Primary. Right? For some reason I was PCS'ed here despite my orders saying TEMDUINST (which I was explained = TAD).

1. BDCP'ers are entitled to drive from Newport to home to the next duty station (like Pensacola) to move your belongings. Off the street OCS'ers are not entitled to this. It's a good way to make some money.

2. Tough one to answer because there is not a definitive one. I was told to do both.

3. There must be some mistake because you would not get PCS'ed for OCS. The first time you would see PCS is if you go to API married. You'll get follow on orders to Whiting.