• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lease and Furniture

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
any recommendations on what to do with your furniture if you have an overseas deployment? I report to OCS 28th March and have a lot of good furniture (couch, bedroom set, flat screen, stereo, book shelves, coffee table, etc...) and trying to figure out what my best option are. . . thanks in advance

Are you coming in off the street (civilian world) to OCS? If that's the case, storage locker if you can. Married or have dependents? Prior? Designator? Those change things a bit.

MikeNY

Coming from the civilized world....new to the Navy. Single, no dependents, SWO. Top of the wish list is Japan but we'll see....really want to be on a DDG. Thanks for the help!

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
SWOs will get PCSed from their home of record (what you put on all your enlistment paperwork) to their ship after OCS. Hopefully your stuff is at that location or nearby. You have two options really. One, keep it in your apartment and then have it moved after you graduate. May be expensive though, as you don't rate BAH while at OCS and only get E-5 pay. Plus is you don't have to move. Option two is to put it in a storage locker, then have it moved post-OCS from the locker to your final duty station. Pro, cheaper, minus, work involved in getting it to the locker.

FYI, Japan ships are not always available. We had ~13 billets open to our class and only one Japan based boat. Your academic rank at OCS determines picking order, so do well on your tests. If there's a spot, hopefully you can get it. If you're a turd, you might end up on an FFG somewhere sucky.

MikeNY

Thanks Synix. Do you or anybody have any idea approx. how much time a recently commissioned SWO will have between commissioning at OCS and reporting to a post/deployment? Trying to plan the logistics of packing up some of my previous life and bringing it to my new post, wherever that may be. . . is it feasible I will graduate, go home having a couple days to pack my stuff, ship it to say jax, drive down myself, leave it in storage while i find a place, and then move into new digs and deliver my furniture & clothes?
Sorry for all the questions.... just so alien to someone outside

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
To the above, yeah pretty much from the SWOs I was in class with. Time to the ship is literally days after graduation, although you can take some leave en route to take care of personal stuff like the move. And you might have to go to baby SWOS right after graduation, but before your ship. A lot of these details you'll figure out your last few weeks there, between getting your orders and working with Travel/PPO office. My advice is do the storage locker, that way you'll be all packed up when you need to be.