• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Learning the way of the Helo life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Hello all guys-

I know I'm invading the Helo corner here, but as newly selected Advanced Helo wife, I find it to be somewhat my duty to at least learn the language of this world and help prepare myself for what will be ahead! ;) :icon_smil I am curious as to what Helo options are there for the Navy guys?? I've heard my DH run around with H## and HL## and all this other gyberish, but I have no clue as to what it all means? What do all of these Helos do? How are they different? What are some permanent duty station choices? I've heard everything from JAX to Guam- and a little in between. What is the most popular, or most selected out of Advanced? We're about to start Advanced, just relocated to Milton so I'm hoping to start to get a grasp of all of this. If any of you would help to enlighten me a little, I would be very appreciative. Please no 'smart' :icon_smil replies- I'm just an innocent gal trying to learn all of this stuff! Thanks a lot! :D

Heather

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I will give it a try, but I am sure I will miss something...

HSL (Helicopter Anti-Submarin (Light)) Flies the SH-60B and will transition to the SH-60R sometime in the forseeable future. Does antisub stuff off of destroyers and cruisers (small ships) and also does a little of everything else. Don't reall no the specifics, LampsGuy or gatordev should be able to answer this better. Duty Stations: Hawaii (1 sqd) San Diego, Japan, Jax and I think norfolk (not sure though)

HC (Helicopter Combat Supoort) Flies the SH-60S, does vertical replenishment (vert rep) and is rumored to start doing more tactical type missions. Like SEAL insertions, carry Hellfire missiles and Combat Search and Rescue. I belive there is still 1 sqd that flies the H-53 not 100% on that though. Duty Stations: San Diego, Guam and Norfolk and I think one each in Bahrain and Sigonella.

HS (Helicopter Anti Submarine) Based on the carrier flies HH-60H (I think), Starboard D (waiting to recuse aircrew that crash around the boat. SEAL stuff and that is all I really know about them. Duty Stations: San Diego, Jax (?? I am not really sure about most of the east coast bases), Norfolk??? and japan.

HM (1 sqd HM-15 in Corpus Christi) does anti mine warfare as a primary mission, not real sure what else they do. They fly the H-53, very big and very cool. Can do air to air refueling.

I can't really speak intelligently about which is the most popular or how many people get what, but I can tell you that I am looking for west coast HC or HSL and a good deal of my peers are looking at the same.

Your husband will love it at south field, the flying is really cool!! Helo's rock!

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Wow BCH- thank you so much for the info! That was really really helpful. :icon_mi_1 I'm sure as time goes on, I'll learn the 'ropes' more, but that was exactly what I was looking for. If you or anyone else has any other info, or more details, that would be great! I think at this point- my husband is hoping for HSL or HC's, and hoping for an overseas tour. Me personally, I think Guam would be neat- but I have yet to really learn all of those specifics.

I'm sure he'll be on here soon asking some more detailed questions- but this is a great start! Thanks again.

Heather :D

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Anytime, nice to get answers early b4 you get a bunch of people in highschool telling you "the way it is" LOL
If you got any other questions or your husband does, feel free to PM me anytime. the HT's are a good time

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Briefly, as I'm on my out the door for about 6 months, but... HSL isn't in Norfolk anymore, just the other ones you mentioned. Also it's about 30-40% ASW (training-wise) and the rest is "everything else."

HC is made up of two different types. There's the HC in Sig, which is -53s and the rest are Phrogs and now 60Ss. The Sierra isn't much of a CSAR bird at the moment, as they don't have the fuel for it. Once they figure out what aux tanks they are going to put on there (it won't take Seahawk tanks because it's a Blackhawk), then it will replace the Hotel as the CSAR bird.

Reactions: bch

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
HC will be all 60S as of Sept, except for HC-4 Sigonella but they are going away JAN if the rumors are true so no more 53's for the HC world. But then in 2005 (again if rumors are true) HC is going to HSC and combining with HS.......[sarcasm]we are all looking forward to this[/sarcasm]........but the 60S is an amazing bird, tons of fun to fly with some awesome potential missions (damn AUX tanks!!!)...........

Status
Not open for further replies.