• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaders of Men or Aviators???

FUPaladin

couldabeen
But some say and think that just because you're an "officer" ... you're going to "lead men " .... that's wishful thinking at best.

If that's what it's like for aviators, I have to wonder where that leaves restricted line types. I suspect that leadership on the career path I've chosen may more closely resemble this:

lumbergh.jpg

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Someone with a little more salt on their shoulder correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't pretty much all Marine Officers, regardless of MOS, on a career track that narrows down to produce "MEF OFFICERS" of some capacity or another?

I guess it isn't the same as leading a platoon or anything, but as far as I understand it (which isn't saying much) doesn't it all come out in the wash eventually?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If that's what it's like for aviators, I have to wonder where that leaves restricted line types. I suspect that leadership on the career path I've chosen may more closely resemble this:

lumbergh.jpg

Yeah, The mids have had it pounded into their heads at our ROTC. If you're a restricted line officer you are not really "eligible for command at sea" which is what every good little midshipman should be aiming for. I think the only thing in the Marine Corps that smacks of restricted line is lawyer...and maybe President's Own.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, The mids have had it pounded into their heads at our ROTC. If you're a restricted line officer you are not really "eligible for command at sea" which is what every good little midshipman should be aiming for. I think the only thing in the Marine Corps that smacks of restricted line is lawyer...and maybe President's Own.
Not "not really eligible," but no kidding INeligible. A RL or staff corps officer is only eligible to command within their specialty. "Command at sea" refers to a ship, sub, squadron, CV, CVSG, DESRON, etc. So if the whole wardroom on a ship was wiped out except for a Restricted Line CDR and an URL Ensign, the Ensign would command.

bluto

We'll all have the opportunity to lead, really manage, Marines during our career, but what is your MOS. 75"something". I had the opportunity to serve under one of the best leaders of men I had ever seen, but he sucked in the air. It's great to motivate the maintainers or S shops, but we get the big bucks (and had big bucks spent on our training) for our stick and rudder, blow stuff up skills. Other MOS's, like infantry, require strong leadership skills to accomplish their mission. But when we go to war, all your standard peacetime ground job responsibilities (except those poor bastards in Ops) are essentially gone, allowing you to focus on your mission, flying. And you know what, most everything still gets done (probably better), even without the young Lt or Capt "leading" Avionics or Powerline.

phrogpilot73

We'll all have the opportunity to lead, really manage, Marines during our career, but what is your MOS. 75"something". I had the opportunity to serve under one of the best leaders of men I had ever seen, but he sucked in the air. It's great to motivate the maintainers or S shops, but we get the big bucks (and had big bucks spent on our training) for our stick and rudder, blow stuff up skills. Other MOS's, like infantry, require strong leadership skills to accomplish their mission. But when we go to war, all your standard peacetime ground job responsibilities (except those poor bastards in Ops) are essentially gone, allowing you to focus on your mission, flying. And you know what, most everything still gets done (probably better), even without the young Lt or Capt "leading" Avionics or Powerline.
Leadership extends to the air as well. Never underestimate the power of a competent, confident, and calm HAC to encourage/lead a junior crew chief in a combat situation...

I once had a copilot that flipped out when I felt vibration in the pedals and decided to take it back to the line to troubleshoot. He started over analyzing the gauges, reading the imminent transmission failure EP over and over, all while he sounded very unsure of himself. After the flight was over and I was debriefing with the aircrew - the VERY salty MSgt WTI crewchief asked me to pass on to the young copilot that being calm and confident over the ICS (whether you truly are or not) will pay off big dividends when flying with junior guys. So no, I don't think I'm saying "Follow me!!!" while striking my best Iron Mike pose in the cockpit. However, I would argue that some of these subtleties point towards leadership more than management...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Leadership extends to the air as well. Never underestimate the power of a competent, confident, and calm HAC to encourage/lead a junior crew chief in a combat situation...

All too true. Several of my favorite sayings/words I live by:

1. 50% of Naval Aviation is looking good and sounding good (I think I got that from my on-wing in Primary).

2. Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff. (From my Dad a long time ago)