• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LCDR CONTINUATION

gutterball

With the low DH screen numbers in the last few years theres a lot of passed over bubbas out there.
I am in Germany with little vis on whats happening community wise in the fleet.

I was wondering if anyone has insight on whats been happening with the continuation boards. It use to be pretty safe to say that when you made O4 you could retire. Now we have a lot of non DH screened O4's in the wind.

It's safe to say not doing a DH tour, your chances for O5 diminish greatly. When you get passed over the second time you roll into the continuation board that determines if you can continue to retirement. I have not found any numbers about how many, if any, are getting the boot in that continuation board.

Looking for insights, personnel knowledge, on this. I am sure the corporate knowledge is out there it's just not something they post on bupers.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
In the VFA community there isn't a problem with not making DH. Last year about a third of the screened guys said no thanks. Retention is going down the crapper in the community. You are pretty much guaranteed to be a DH if you make O4. If you opt out, then you are asked to leave. Not sure of the health in the other communities.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
In the VFA community there isn't a problem with not making DH. Last year about a third of the screened guys said no thanks. Retention is going down the crapper in the community. You are pretty much guaranteed to be a DH if you make O4. If you opt out, then you are asked to leave. Not sure of the health in the other communities.
For maritime, pretty much the polar opposite if your entire post.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are speaking from a pilot perspective? I only ask because I continue to see low numbers for 1320s.

Renegade One

None
Looking for insights, personnel knowledge, on this. I am sure the corporate knowledge is out there it's just not something they post on bupers.
Can't claim anything by way of insights or personal knowledge, but I seem to recall a "one-time graceful pink slip" thingie in the early-mid '90's (after DESERT STORM) when, at least as I recall, a lot of folks (O-4's largely, I assume…) with 15 years were offered what Industry would call a "Voluntary Early Separation Package" (VESP) option…15 years would get you an ~37.5% pension…or something like that. Am I AFU on that? Anyone remember something different?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't claim anything by way of insights or personal knowledge, but I seem to recall a "one-time graceful pink slip" thingie in the early-mid '90's (after DESERT STORM) when, at least as I recall, a lot of folks (O-4's largely, I assume…) with 15 years were offered what Industry would call a "Voluntary Early Separation Package" (VESP) option…15 years would get you an ~37.5% pension…or something like that. Am I AFU on that? Anyone remember something different?
You are correct. But IIRC, the navy offered two options: lump sum or reduced retirement.I know a few that took the money and ran. I believe it was referred to as the RIF.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
With the low DH screen numbers in the last few years theres a lot of passed over bubbas out there.
I am in Germany with little vis on whats happening community wise in the fleet.

I was wondering if anyone has insight on whats been happening with the continuation boards. It use to be pretty safe to say that when you made O4 you could retire. Now we have a lot of non DH screened O4's in the wind.

It's safe to say not doing a DH tour, your chances for O5 diminish greatly. When you get passed over the second time you roll into the continuation board that determines if you can continue to retirement. I have not found any numbers about how many, if any, are getting the boot in that continuation board.

Even doing an op-t DH tour seems to greatly diminish your chances for O-5. I don't have any stats, but since you asked for personal knowledge, 2 of 2 people I know who requested continuation will be able to stay until 20. Don't know the process.

As far as DH screen rates- for last year and this year's upcoming board, no communities allowed opting out- screen rates are pretty high, it's the O-4 selection rates that are extremely low right now. Last year's stats here. 67% for 1310, 60% for 1320

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Even doing an op-t DH tour seems to greatly diminish your chances for O-5. I don't have any stats, but since you asked for personal knowledge, 2 of 2 people I know who requested continuation will be able to stay until 20. Don't know the process.

As far as DH screen rates- for last year and this year's upcoming board, no communities allowed opting out- screen rates are pretty high, it's the O-4 selection rates that are extremely low right now. Last year's stats here. 67% for 1310, 60% for 1320

Word on the street is the VP DH selects were still only in the 30-40% range even with the OPT in or resign ultimatum. Do you have numbers that suggest differently? Detailer pretty much said that they doing everything they can to keep people in the community so they can have low screen rates of their very best players and use the rest as cannon fodder for all the other billets they need to fill.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Detailer pretty much said that they doing everything they can to keep people in the community so they can have low screen rates of their very best players and use the rest as cannon fodder for all the other billets they need to fill.

What a fucking scam.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Word on the street is the VP DH selects were still only in the 30-40% range even with the OPT in or resign ultimatum. Do you have numbers that suggest differently? Detailer pretty much said that they doing everything they can to keep people in the community so they can have low screen rates of their very best players and use the rest as cannon fodder for all the other billets they need to fill.

I call BS (for the 3rd year in a row) on the detailers numbers. Here is my own calculation for VP ONLY:
Based on the zone impact list, there were 65 folks in VP who selected for O-4 for FY13, I personally could pick out 4 who I knew lat transferred or picked up FTS before the DH board, so let's call that 61. There were 38 first look selectees for VP DH last year, plus 6 second look.
38/61 = 62% for first look
I don't have a way of knowing how many were not selected for a second look, so as an optimistic number, 44/67 = 65% overall

These are my own calculations, I suspect the "real" numbers are even better- I'm sure there were more than a few who dropped letters before the board or even after the board and let someone else pick up a spot. I never saw a lessons learned brief from last year's DH board, so I don't know what they are saying the numbers were. The 2012 lessons learned brief was full of errors, one in particular was a 0% selection for those who had done a VT tour, I could name at least 4 who had done a VT IP tour and selected.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
You are correct. But IIRC, the navy offered two options: lump sum or reduced retirement.I know a few that took the money and ran. I believe it was referred to as the RIF.

The reduction in force that took place in the early/mid 90s used several tools, depending on various factors, to drawdown overmanned designators and specific communities. For those with at least 15 years of service, early retirement was offered with 37.5% of base pay for 15 years of service. For those with less than 15 years of service, there were two options for voluntarily leaving: Variable Separation Incentive, which paid an annual amount (based on length of service and final pay at time of separation) for twice the years of service, and Special Separation Benefit, which paid a lump sum based on the same factors. Both VSI and SSB required accepting a reserve commission, but no drilling was required.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All of this just makes me appreciate "leaving" this whole process when I did. There's still Placement BS I have to deal with, but having to just sit around, still doing my job (at the moment) with no real idea if I have a future or not would just be annoying.

Then again, I came from the golden age of Wings +7, where everyone had a chance to make their own decisions and no one had to fill out an ASAP. Godspeed.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
So, how many O-3's are getting their walking papers these days?

I saw some O-4's get booted with 14-16 years in just 24 months ago. But shit, an O-4 selection board with a 60% rate. Damn, then only to be "cannon fodder" for the next xx years....

Pags

N/A
pilot
So, how many O-3's are getting their walking papers these days?

I saw some O-4's get booted with 14-16 years in just 24 months ago. But shit, an O-4 selection board with a 60% rate. Damn, then only to be "cannon fodder" for the next xx years....
You'll have your answer when this years O4 message comes out. Last years selection rate was 70% across all designators, the precept for this year is the same. I'm sure the above zone percentages won't be very high.