• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lawmaker again launches Navy renaming bid

Do you think the Navy should change the name to Department of the Navy and Marine Corps?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article says: “When a young Marine dies, the family receives a letter from the Secretary of the Navy with the Navy flag,” [REP Walter] Jones [R-N.C.] said. “The Marine Corps has earned the right to be seen as an equal in name, and that’s what this is all about.”

I wanna know more about that NAVY flag that gets presented. Doesn't the family get that red, white and blue thingie with the stripes and stuff?

Would the family's grief and loss be somehow mitigated by different letterhead stationery?

I think he is refering to the flag of the Secretary of the Navy which I assume at the top of the the formal letters that he mails:

secnavfl.jpg

The Under Secretary of the Navy has his own flag as well, slightly more 'Marine-like' I suppose:

180px-US-UnderSecretaryOfTheNavy-Flag.svg.png

Renegade One

None
I think he is refering to the flag of the Secretary of the Navy which I assume at the top of the the formal letters that he mails:

You may be right. I thought it was a reference to a "folded flag" presented. Your version makes more sense.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The Navy & Marine Corps have been "joined at the hip" since they were born. IMHO, either one - without the other - would be considerably hollowed out as a service. Conservely. their total [together] is much greater than the sum of their separate parts. What's more, can anyone imagine what a "Marine Nurse" would look like?? I shudder to think. Why screw w/ what ain't broke?

Renegade One

None
A question arises... does the Commandant USMC report to SECNAV, or directly to SECDEF?:confused:
BzB

SECNAV, just like the CNO.
Might a better answer be "It depends"?

Administratively (policy, budget, yadda yadda yadda)...I think Harrier Dude is absolutely correct. I think there may be operational matters where there's a different dotted line…with CJCS in there somewhere…maybe he writes the FITREP (assuming that admin qweep isn't waived at that level…)?

There are probably mornings when both the CNO and the CMC wonder 'Who the fuck DO I work for?" Hopefully after a three mile run and their morning cup of coffee, they both pull their pants on thinking: "Oh, yeah…the American People, and the Sailors/Marines who trust me to do right/best by them."

I'm sure it's complicated...

Reactions: Fog

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The Commandant and the CNO have very little to do with operational stuff, but you are right that it's slightly more complicated than what I wrote.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
SECMcNav would be easier to say . . . just sayin'