• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Law after NFO?

DavidC

So it seems above the limits on seated height for Marine SNA. My next choices are Law or NFO. Long-term I want to do law, but short-term I'd rather be in the air. I've read up on the various law programs for PLC and OCC, but I couldn't find much of anything regarding going into law after being an NFO. Specifically in how open they are to someone switching after being in as long as it takes to fulfill the NFO commitment.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So it seems above the limits on seated height for Marine SNA. My next choices are Law or NFO. Long-term I want to do law, but short-term I'd rather be in the air. I've read up on the various law programs for PLC and OCC, but I couldn't find much of anything regarding going into law after being an NFO. Specifically in how open they are to someone switching after being in as long as it takes to fulfill the NFO commitment.

NFOs are subject to those anthro measurements too...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There are programs you can apply to that will send you to law school after being an officer for awhile. However, you can't count on them for sure. Do whichever you would be happy doing for your entire time in the service.

That said, I'm pretty good friends with a lawyer who pretty talks a lot about how the "funded law" (guys who became lawyers late) officers are a bunch of ass-clowns who don't know what they're doing, but get jobs with significant legal responsibility because of their rank.

m26

Contributor
There are programs you can apply to that will send you to law school after being an officer for awhile. However, you can't count on them for sure.

LEP (Law Education Program - sends you to law school and pays your tuition) only takes a handful of people each year from the Navy and Marine Corps, and the officers must have between 2 and 6 years of service, so you couldn't get into it after you've fulfilled your NFO commitment.

ELP-L (Excess Leave Program - Law) might be a possibility, but you wouldn't get tuition or pay.

Clux4

Banned
The 4402 field is hurting right now so they will be opening the flood gates to even things out.

cclement

None
LEP (Law Education Program - sends you to law school and pays your tuition) only takes a handful of people each year from the Navy and Marine Corps, and the officers must have between 2 and 6 years of service, so you couldn't get into it after you've fulfilled your NFO commitment.

ELP-L (Excess Leave Program - Law) might be a possibility, but you wouldn't get tuition or pay.

I don't know anything about the program, but isn't it possible you could start on your first shore tour? Then you're pushing 5 or 6, but you're probably still under the the maximum.

m26

Contributor
I don't know anything about the program, but isn't it possible you could start on your first shore tour? Then you're pushing 5 or 6, but you're probably still under the the maximum.

Yes, but he wants to FULFILL his NFO obligation before switching to law.

Clux4

Banned
Yes, but he wants to FULFILL his NFO obligation before switching to law.

There is the whole career progression piece. They want you to go and come back and still be as competitive with the guy that came in straight out of law school. With that being said, I am not sure how a 6 year NFO(no sure on the number) contract and 2 years in pipeline will look. You are probably already a senior Captain or Major by the time you are eligible. Now I am not sure if they will let you go do that before your NFO contract is up. That could be a possibility since the NFO career path is coming to an end.

m26

Contributor
They want you to go and come back and still be as competitive with the guy that came in straight out of law school.

On the Navy side of LEP, their primary concern (according to the NAVADMIN) is how good the law school is. Most LEP folks go to Cornell, Virginia, Duke, etc, to the best of my knowledge. Idk if the Corps is the same way.

Someone mentioned ass-clownery among the funded guys. In the civilian world, a lawyer 3 years out of a Tier 3/4 school is going to be better than the lawyer just out of Harvard Law, especially in practical law (which is what JAGs do in their first assignment). Give it three years, though, and 9 times out of 10 the HLS lawyer will have surpassed the other, even though the latter has twice as much experience.

I would imagine that the idea is that these LEP lawyers are going to go on to do the big contracting deals, etc. While they may not come in and be as good as the other lawyers off the bat, odds are they are more likely to be successful in the high-responsibility tasks down the road.

Clux, does the USMC have a program like the AF's recall to active duty? (http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/EDprgrms/recall.htm)

Seems like a good way to get lawyers. With the current GI bill and YRP, law school would be borderline affordable.

But with private schools costing around $150,000 for a JD, it looks like it would be tough to find people to go straight from law school to the Marines.

Clux4

Banned
We do have something similar but not exact. It is called Return to Active Duty(RAD) board. It grants folks in the IRR an opportunity to come back to AD USMC. It is not really a guarantee way to come back as they are very picky with who they bring back and what they do when they come back in. So in a way, a qualified JAG guys/gals could come back in that way. From what I hear, they are trying to bring in a large pool of lawyers so the RAD message might be geared towards them. Inter-service transfer might even be possible in this kind of situation. In essence, the USMC has no dedicated program.

Marine Corps has significant manpower issues. Every branch of service has theirs but we compound the problem. I will spare the audience this conversation.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
So, after I get jets, what are my chances of getting JAG, and then what are the chances of getting Catherine Bell?

DavidC

So, after I get jets, what are my chances of getting JAG, and then what are the chances of getting Catherine Bell?
But my cousin's girlfriend's brother told me he knew a guy that got 9/9/9 on the ASTB and a 180 on the LSAT and they let him pre-select jets and do JAG at the same time...

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be applying for PLC Law over the summer. Now I get to spend the next few months in my LSAT prep books.