• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Laundry list of NROTC questions

ctall90

I've used the search function (perhaps with less skill than I would prefer) and these are the questions to which I cannot find answers. I will try to be as concise as possible.

1. When the Navy informs successful applicants of their acceptance, do they immediately tell them which unit they have been assigned to?

2 a). Hypothetical: You have been selected for the scholarship. They assign you to the MIT unit. You were not accepted to MIT. Are you now completely screwed? Is it possible to get reassigned to a different unit?

2 b). Hypothetical: You are still waiting to hear about a decision on your application. Your third choice was MIT. You get a letter from MIT saying you were not accepted. How would you go about removing MIT from your already submitted NROTC app?

3. I strongly wish to fly. My vision is not up to the standards. Is it possible to get PRK while in college,and while in NROTC?

4. If the board meets tomorrow and decides to award me a scholarship, when would I know about it?

5. How hard does the board try to give you your first choice?

And now, a final, slightly more long-winded question...

6. I am a community college freshman. I submitted my app before the fall 2009 semester ended. Now, I have completed the Fall semester, therefore my college transcript has changed. I received all A's, except for one B. This dropped my GPA from a 4.00 to a 3.72. I am taking difficult calculus and physics courses. Should I send in my updated transcript to update my application? The older transcript which is currently with my application only shows 5 college units completed (with a 4.00), but now, I have completed 18 (with a 3.72). I am not sure whether I need to send in my new transcript. Even if I don't need to, should I go ahead and send it in anyways?

I apologize for being so long-winded, and I apologize if some of this info is already on here. I simply could not find it with the search function. Thank you for taking interest in my queries, and I hope that someone can help me with some of these questions!

Will_T

Will_T
I am currently an applicant as well, so I will answer as best as I know:
1. As far as I know, yes.
2a I have heard its possible to have your scholarship moved to another school, but dont quote me on it.
2b I would talk to my OR and iform him, so that he could inform the scholarship selection board.
3. No idea, sorry. All I can say is don't bank of being an aviator, because your applying to become an officer is the greatest navy in the world, no to be an aviator, but Im sure you already know that, good luck with this problem though, I hope it works out for you.
4. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150964&page=2
about 4 posts down, there is a list of the dates that the scholarship selection board meets, I believe you should hear within 2 weeks of that date.
5. It depends on how much you asked for it, when you put it your app.( and more importantly when you got accepted), and space available at the units.
6. No idea, could go either way.

Hey, best of luck to you, and I hope it all works out.
Will.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Been through the whole process a few years back, so this info might not be to date, but here's how it worked for me.

1. Yes, they do.

2 a). Yes, it's possible. I only applied to one school, but they assigned me to a different one, which I had communicated with once. They reassigned me and retroactively paid my tuition for that term, though it took a month or two and some prodding, but it happened.

2 b). Talk to your OR and they can probably get the school removed. If not, and you get assigned there, let him know you didn't get it and 2a comes into play.

3.It's possible, but you've gotta ask early. Also, it'll be on your dime unless you go to the academy.

4. I got a letter in the mail about two weeks after the board met.

5. Needs of the Navy...hear it, live it, learn it. They'll try, but only so far as they need bodies in seats at that school too. That said, usually you can get what you want. Don't get used to it though ;)

6. Talk to your OR. If he thinks it will help, he'll probably find a way to get the updated information to the board. I had some information change that apparently wasn't worth updating, but I told my OR about it anyways. Can't hurt, after all.

Good luck!

ctall90

WillT- Judging from your credentials, I would imagine that you'll be hearing from the Navy sooner than I. My high school GPA was mediocre, but that's my own fault. Good luck on everything, and thanks for helping me out with these Qs! A bit of a side note- Thank you for being able to spell. It's so refreshing to read something written by another young person who has good grammar and spelling! I go on facebook and read things written by other people my age, and I lose faith in all of humanity! I can't believe it! Most other young people have the spelling and grammar skills of a mentally handicapped turtle! I realize that I'm using a lot of exclamation points, but I am nerdishly passionate about this! Best of luck to you. I would be absolutely shocked if somebody with your credentials did not get awarded the scholarship. I really doubt that you have anything to worry about.

DesertOasis- Thank you. Your advice was very helpful, and it sounds like I need to call my OR! How was your experience with NROTC?

Will_T

Will_T
ctall, thanks for the nice comments, I hope I'll hear soon, my issue is a lack of sports, so im hoping they can see that im not another fat-body (to quote full metal jacket). And I have to agree with you on the spelling comment as well, although my capitalization isn't up to par. and youre not the only one passionate about this!
best of luck to you as well.
Will.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
How was your experience with NROTC?

Your mileage will vary depending on the school you attend, but the basic program is the same no matter where you go. You'll take classes on naval history, basic military structure and drill, and a bunch of other Navy-related topics, as well as field training on seamanship and marksmanship. It's a good time. Your best bet for finding out about the NROTC experience is to talk directly to the unit at the school you are planning to attend. There's not a 'better' or 'worse' program in any sense, but your experience at University of Washington will be markedly different from that at the Citadel.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
As for 2A, yes you can change the scholarship school. This actually happens quite often. I received a scholarship for my 1st choice but was rejected, so I had my scholarship changed over to my #2. No big deal.

navy09

None
I've used the search function (perhaps with less skill than I would prefer) and these are the questions to which I cannot find answers. I will try to be as concise as possible.

1. When the Navy informs successful applicants of their acceptance, do they immediately tell them which unit they have been assigned to? Yes.

2 a). Hypothetical: You have been selected for the scholarship. They assign you to the MIT unit. You were not accepted to MIT. Are you now completely screwed? Is it possible to get reassigned to a different unit? No, it's generally not a problem. That said, some units will fill up. Address this problem as soon as you're selected.

2 b). Hypothetical: You are still waiting to hear about a decision on your application. Your third choice was MIT. You get a letter from MIT saying you were not accepted. How would you go about removing MIT from your already submitted NROTC app? Just tell your recruiter. It won't really matter though.

3. I strongly wish to fly. My vision is not up to the standards. Is it possible to get PRK while in college,and while in NROTC? Yes, they just won't pay for it.

4. If the board meets tomorrow and decides to award me a scholarship, when would I know about it? I have no idea.

5. How hard does the board try to give you your first choice? Depends how "competitive" you are. Any given unit may fill up as they give out scholarships throughout the year. Since it's Feb and you still haven't been picked up there are no guarantees though they'll still give you your first choice if it's available.

And now, a final, slightly more long-winded question...

6. I am a community college freshman. I submitted my app before the fall 2009 semester ended. Now, I have completed the Fall semester, therefore my college transcript has changed. I received all A's, except for one B. This dropped my GPA from a 4.00 to a 3.72. I am taking difficult calculus and physics courses. Should I send in my updated transcript to update my application? The older transcript which is currently with my application only shows 5 college units completed (with a 4.00), but now, I have completed 18 (with a 3.72). I am not sure whether I need to send in my new transcript. Even if I don't need to, should I go ahead and send it in anyways? 3.72 after a full semester in college is good. If by "difficult calculus" you mean differential calc (calc 1) or integral calc (calc 2) and you got an A or B in it, that will look VERY good for the board...very good. Recommend you let your recruiter know about those grades ASAP and follow his instructions to get an official transcript sent out to either him or the selection board.

If by "difficult physics" you mean a calc based/ engineering physics course, see above.

I apologize for being so long-winded, and I apologize if some of this info is already on here. I simply could not find it with the search function. Thank you for taking interest in my queries, and I hope that someone can help me with some of these questions!

See above- feel free to PM if you've got additional questions.

ctall90

midn09 - Yes, I have received As in both Calc I and Calc II (took Calc I over the summer). My B was in a calculus-based physics course. I'm now in Calc III (the 3-dimensional stuff), Linear Algebra, Chemistry, and "Electricity and Magnetism" (another calc-based physics course), and it's the most interesting stuff i've ever studied, but it's a LOT of work with that load! I will work to get that new transcript info to the boards asap. Thank you for your input. And as per your offer for advice, you'll probably be seeing some PMs from me before long. Thanks for your help!

navy09

None
That's great man. Lots of Mids (myself included) come in and fail or suck at calc and physics. If you've already knocked those courses out you're a safer bet for them. My only word of caution, 90% of the time common classes like those will transfer to a 4-yr college; not sure how it works for the Ivy League though (you mentioned MIT). Check with the colleges you applied to and make sure they'll accept those courses for transfer, it may end up saving you a lot of time and trouble.

Either way, for the selection board's purposes it doesn't really matter since you've already proven you can do well in those classes.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Best bet is if you can take calc/physics classes at the local community college, go for it. I personally did and don't regret having a smaller class, easier workload, and a teacher who went further out of his/her way to ensure you pass the class.

ctall90

One more question: By the time I transfer, I would have 36 units completed, possibly 44 completed if I took classes during the summer term. This would mean that, technically, I could probably finish my degree in three years without any difficulty (assuming my junior college classes transfer). The application requirements for NROTC stated that you had to have less than 30 units completed at the time you SUBMIT your application, so I'm good there. Would they require me to take 4 years to finish up my degree, even if I could do it in 3? Does anybody know if it's possible to double up on the NROTC classes in order to knock them out in less time? Seems like it would be a good idea for them, since they'd save a decent amount of money that way.

VulcanRider

pilot
Yes you can double up on the Navy classes. They have 3 and 2 years scholarships, though the only people I've seen get those are students who are already at the school and in the unit. My suggestion would be to apply for the scholarship if you get it, then things can be worked out with your unit. If they don't want you to finish in 3 years, then continue on and get a dual major/masters if possible.

ctall90

Thanks, VulcanRider. That's good to know, but I must tell you: I'm a bit angry with you... After seeing your avatar, I remembered the beloved helicopter game, which I had not played for years, and I had to give it another go. I've now wasted 20 or so minutes of my weekend. On the other hand, I did get a high score of 1897! Back in the day, it was pathetic how much homework I blew off with that game :p

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks, VulcanRider. That's good to know, but I must tell you: I'm a bit angry with you... After seeing your avatar, I remembered the beloved helicopter game, which I had not played for years, and I had to give it another go. I've now wasted 20 or so minutes of my weekend. On the other hand, I did get a high score of 1897! Back in the day, it was pathetic how much homework I blew off with that game :p

From what I've been "hearing" in the helo community, the "Helicopter game" determines whether you fly HSL or HSC. Just sayin' its a rumor...