• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer to Coast Guard

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So if I understand this correctly: we have a (presumably) qualified candidate who wants to serve in the Coast Guard - and do so by taking advantage of a solid program that the CG is offering, BUT he can't because there aren't enough minorities at this school?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
In a nutshell: yes. When I was sweating getting a ROTC scholarship I looked at Coastie Programs and discovered the same problem. I ended up where I am, so all's well that ends well, but it seemed like a bullshit requirement that excluded qualified candidates because they didn't attend the "right" schools.

Brunes

pilot
So if I understand this correctly: we have a (presumably) qualified candidate who wants to serve in the Coast Guard - and do so by taking advantage of a solid program that the CG is offering, BUT he can't because there aren't enough minorities at this school?

Before we go too far high and right about "qualified candidates being excluded"- Take a look at what the program offers. You still have to qualify for and complete OCS and then you have a slot at flight school waiting for you. It doesn't really meet his "money for college" wicket and it's nothing that he can't do himself. If'n he's qualified for Blue 21- He's qualified for OCS. And if he goes to OCS he can get a flight slot at any time after that. It's not a huge injustice to anyone.

Also consider the # of folks who get this program (few as far as I know-Don't know of anyone in specific who has) to the number of folks thruput in a year (about 75).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My original questions involved an interservice transfer after Navy. So, if they are reasonable questions could anyone answer them? I don't want to ruin my chances of 20 year retirement by switching but like I said, I'd really like to experience both.

Thanks,

Brad
Did you have specific questions other than what you posted that you want answered? We can't read your mind. You're not going to mess anything up retirement wise by doing an interservice transfer.

LivingSacrifice

Something else to keep in mind is the fact that all of two people are selected for Blue 21 with each board. That's four a year. It's a long shot, even if you're qualified. On top of that, it got canceled once and then reinstated for FY10. There's no guarantee that it'll even be around after this year.

Regardless of what direction you take, the selection process for the CG is extremely competitive. DCA, OCS, CSPI, Blue 21... they're all pretty tough to get into. Like the guys said, DCA is certainly possible, but I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket.

foleyswole85

Sorry for not clarifying,

You somewhat answered my question by saying it won't hurt my chances. The reason I'm asking is that a retired Navy pilot suggested I stay in one branch to work my way up in promotions and reach retirement. He said by switching branches I would lose contacts, reputation, etc I see where there could be some truth in this but it seems like quite a few people have done DCA from one branch to the CG... surely some of them have had retirement in mind.

I was also wondering if you incur a service obligation with the CG upon DCA of x years. If so, seems like it would make it easier to reach retirement without worrying about missing promotion and getting discharged. Of course you can't just ride it out, you still have to shine... but I don't know anything about the level of competitiveness in officer promotions.

Thanks for the patience,

Brad

GFTC

pilot
I'm very happy with the way that things have worked out for me in the Navy so far, but when I was applying, I ran into the same problem (wanted to fly CG, school didn't qual for Blue-21, ect.). Here's my advise from my limited experience. As far as I know, the Blue-21 program says you have to GRADUATE from a school with 25% minorities, not attend that school for all four years. Have you thought about transferring to a qualified school when you get closer to graduation? You might only have to attend that school for a semester or two. Might be worth looking into.

foleyswole85

GFTC,

Thanks for the input, I've definitely considered that option, there is a school nearby that fits the bill. My problem though is that the other school doesn't offer my major which I'm already 2 years into and I don't want to start a completely new degree just for a shot for BLUE21 which according to Living Sacrifice sounds like a longshot. I'm glad to hear the Navy is working out for you. I'm really interested in BDCP and have been talking to a recruiter about it. If for whatever reason I don't get into BDCP, it will make it easier to decide between Navy and CG after I graduate because the playing fields will be leveled.

Thanks,

Brad

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
And currently- pickings are slim in every branch. I wouldn't rely on picking up a DCA transfer to the CG in 10 years. Who knows what budget cycles will do.

Just for everyones SA one this one, my boss just tried to transfer. Of the 50+ applicants, 2 were accepted. 2 years ago, the CG was taking people left and right. I think the well has dried up for a few years at least.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Just for everyones SA one this one, my boss just tried to transfer. Of the 50+ applicants, 2 were accepted. 2 years ago, the CG was taking people left and right. I think the well has dried up for a few years at least.

Word on the street is that they took extra bodies to cover predicted manning shortfalls as they transitioned from the Falcon to the Casa. After that happened the transition timeline got off track and now they have excess manning in the aviation field.

foleyswole85

At the Cherry Point airshow a few weeks back there was a Casa there from Miami, boy was it sweet. Looked brand new (I guess it was) glass cockpit, the works... The pilot was real helpful in answering questions and he said the same thing ya'll are, every couple years the numbers fluctuate heavily and right now they're (CG) busting at the seems, even letting some people go. But I don't graduate for another 2 years so who knows, its amazing how volatile the military's needs are....

Porkchopexpress

I hope this answers your questions:
The DCA program incurs a 5 year obligation which brings most DCA's up to about 15 years so you might as well finish up your 20 anyway. Because you take cut in pay/rank, the chances of getting passed over for promotion and forced out are pretty slim. I speculate that most DCA's finish their retirement unless they decide they don't like the Coast Guard or get a DUI.

Most information you get about the DCA program now will be obsolete by the time you are eligible. A surprising number of Coast Guard pilots I have met were prior enlisted. If you really want to go Coast Guard, that is probably your best shot. If you really just want to fly, choose another service that you can live with and keep your options open.