• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer to Coast Guard

foleyswole85

Hello,

I am very interested in becoming a Naval Aviator. I tried talking to a USCG recruiter about this but he seemed very uninterested and not helpful. Also, I don't qualify for any of the CG officer programs because of their heavily oriented minority requirements. On the flip side, the Navy OSO has been extremely helpful getting me started, answering questions, and the Navy has the BDCP program for college students AND guarantees you a shot at flight school right after OCS.

All that being said, my first choice for service was the CG. However, in light of all the above mentioned perks, I'd feel stupid not to go Navy right out of school. SO... I am considering doing Navy for 8-10 years and dca to CG. I've been told this is a common practice but I have a few concerns.

1. Is it possible/likely to make 20 years between CG and Navy?

2. How long is your service obligation to CG in dca?

Thank you,

Brad Foley

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've come across one pilot in the USMC that did an interservice transfer (not a lateral transfer) to the CG. He was an O-3 when he made the switch and had to lose a pay grade. He had to start his career in the CG as an O-2.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
There were alot of instructors that made the switch to the Coast Guard from the training commands. I'm pretty certain you have to finish your service commitment to the Navy first, so you really wont be eligible to switch until you've done about 10 years in the Navy (2 for flight school and 8 after wings). If you really want to join the Coast Guard, going Navy first is going to delay that for about a decade... You might want to just focus on getting in the Coast Guard now.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I think you're confusing "heavily oriented minority requirements" with the whole BLUE 21 program. To be eligible you need to graduate from a University that has a minimum 25 percent minority population. You're off the mark, it has nothing to do with YOU being a minority. Most major Universities don't have this problem...just walk into any Engineering building or Chemistry lab and look around...

http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-yo...ortunities/programs/blue-21-flight-initiative

foleyswole85

The college programs state requirements such as: must attend historically black, hispanic, tribal, etc or have 25% minority population for Blue 21. When asking my recruiter about this he said, they can't specifically say minorities only but by drawing from a pool of students where they are prevalent; it increases the chances that minorities are selected." I'm sorry if this sounds disrespectful, thats definitely not my intentions. However, those requirements are facts and I do not qualify for them so the programs mean nothing to me.

My gut is telling me that I should pick a branch and plan to stay in it and do my best, but it would be really cool to experience both branches in my career. And I can't ignore the benefits of the Navy college programs that I AM qualified for.

Brad

foleyswole85

I think you're confusing "heavily oriented minority requirements" with the whole BLUE 21 program. To be eligible you need to graduate from a University that has a minimum 25 percent minority population. You're off the mark, it has nothing to do with YOU being a minority. Most major Universities don't have this problem...just walk into any Engineering building or Chemistry lab and look around...

http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-yo...ortunities/programs/blue-21-flight-initiative

hahaha boy are you right, I go to NC State University and they have a big engineering program.

I'm not confused, I know the requirements well and have tried my best to make my school work with them but the CG said no, so I'm SOL. Again I don't mean any disrespect by means of race, its just frustrating when you have perfect credentials for the program and the only thing keeping you out is the minority requirement which speaks NOTHING of you're own personal character and qualifications.

Brad

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
All it is saying is that by putting in that requirement...they have a greater chance of recruiting minorities. If you're Whitey McWhiterson and you attend pretty much any decent sized university, you will make it through that barrier to entry. Now if you go to some private Quaker college in rural PA..then yeah I can see how this would not benefit you. I asked about this because I was curious too when I was going through my Navy recruitment, I was looking at the USCG as a back up.

Maybe it was just your recruiter but when it was explained to me...it was just a check in the box. IE.. "You attended the University of Oklahoma? Okay, yeah that qualifies.."

foleyswole85

My school is something like ~22% and its one of the 3 largest universities in NC. My recruiter shot me down, like I said he acted like he didn't want to help me at all. What am I supposed to do? I can't get in without going through him...

Sorry for the ranting, thanks for the replies

Brad

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
hahaha boy are you right, I go to NC State University and they have a big engineering program.

I'm not confused, I know the requirements well and have tried my best to make my school work with them but the CG said no, so I'm SOL. Again I don't mean any disrespect by means of race, its just frustrating when you have perfect credentials for the program and the only thing keeping you out is the minority requirement which speaks NOTHING of you're own personal character and qualifications.

Brad

Regardless of whether or not your school meets the minimum minority % requirement mandated by BLUE 21, I recommend applying to every services aviation program (BDCP, OCS when you are degree complete etc) if you do want to fly for the military. It is a bigger paperwork drill, but in the end this will give you a greater chance at an opportunity to serve.

Apply to all, and go with the one (or best) offer you get.

Coast Guard does have have the DCA program, but that program- like initial accessions for other services, has the number of people it takes each year adjusted based on the needs of the service. It may be an option for you down the line, but don't plan on it being a sure thing.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
My school is something like ~22% and its one of the 3 largest universities in NC. My recruiter shot me down, like I said he acted like he didn't want to help me at all. What am I supposed to do? I can't get in without going through him...

Sorry for the ranting, thanks for the replies

Brad

If you read further...and your University doesn't qualify, you can go the Coast Guard OCS route, however, I don't think it comes with an Aviation guarantee.

foleyswole85

Thanks Zippy, that is really good advice and I've received it from others as well. I know you have to bust serious tail and do your homework just to get a shot at this career, I'm doing everything I can to make myself the best possible candidate and digging into each branch to find the best way in.

foleyswole85

I don't think I can be persuaded to do CG right out of college, I'm just not willing to give up ~$50,000 of scholarship money and an aviation guarantee for an extra month of OCS and and a distinct possibility of riding 30 ft swells on a cutter in the North Atlantic... My original questions involved an interservice transfer after Navy. So, if they are reasonable questions could anyone answer them? I don't want to ruin my chances of 20 year retirement by switching but like I said, I'd really like to experience both.

Thanks,

Brad

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yes. You can do an interservice transfer. It is possible, but comes down to needs of the service. You drop to LTJG, but keep your time in service, ie, you do not lose your retirement. All of this is google-able.

Brunes

pilot
Yes. You can do an interservice transfer. It is possible, but comes down to needs of the service. You drop to LTJG, but keep your time in service, ie, you do not lose your retirement. All of this is google-able.

And currently- pickings are slim in every branch. I wouldn't rely on picking up a DCA transfer to the CG in 10 years. Who knows what budget cycles will do.

I've only met 1 person so far that had to apply to more than 3 boards to get selected for a flight school spot in the CG- That's about a year and a half or two max. It's a stepping stone at the worst and there is the possibility to get directly into flight school from OCS. If the CG is where you want to fly- Then I would apply CG. If you are just worried about getting paid for your college tuition- I wouldn't apply to the CG cause that probably won't happen.