• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer from SWO to Aviation

thewheelman07

I have a question about the lateral transfer package from SWO to Aviation. Currently I am an Ensign on my first tour. I will qualify SWO in about a week or two so I am really close to warfare qualification. I really want to go pilot but I feel like I have heard different things about the process. Do I have to wait for the November Lat Xfer board or since I plan to transition from URL to URL do I just put my package in right away. Also, I got my commission in DEC 08 so do I need to wait until my two year mark or do I have to get a waiver. How difficult is it to be able to transfer from the SWO community to Aviation. My last fitrep was above the command summary average and my gpa from college was really high. I still have to take the ASTB but I think i could post a high score. Any information would be great. Thanks for the help!

BigRed389

None
The medical will be the biggest hangup right now as NAMI claimed they're months behind. You need to get a flight phys scheduled, and your shipboard IDC (if you're on a small boy) might not be too familiar with it. I'd recommend contacting the nearest medical clinic with a flight surgeon directly and asking them how you can make it happen.
You will have to wait until November as you missed the submission deadline for this board...but it also gives you time to get the medical shit done...barely. I had my flight phys done last Nov, various people fucking sat on it, as a result didn't get a response from NAMI until this May.
If you don't have a medical clearance memo from NAMI by the time the board meets, they won't even give you a look.

ASTB is easy, just figure out where you can take it convenient to you and hook it up...you're an active duty commissioned officer, so you can cut past some of the bullshit if you want to press the issue.

Go to the BUPERS website, search around for lat transfer, check previous boards to see what your FY group's numbers are. I don't think FY 09 has anything yet, but once they come out, you need to look at # of transfers allowed OUT of SWO for that FY group, and look at Pilot or NFO transfers allowed IN for that FY group.

You can put in requesting a waiver for the 2 year mark crap, and if you don't get it, just put in for the next board...your medical will be good for one year, so it's a paperwork drill of just changing dates from there. As for chances, the gouge I got from the PERS folks (who you should contact directly for current info) was that it's rare, but if the numbers/demand support, they can make it happen.
Also talk to your CO (at a minimum). You will need a letter of endorsement from him/her, so make sure the CO knows it's coming and is cool with it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Things may have changed since I did my SWO-to-NFO transition (in 2001), but it didn't require a redes/lat transfer board. It was simply a thumbs-up/-down by the head Air detailer.

How easy it'll be depends on your command's attitude. My captain was actually pretty supportive and I didn't get any flack about re-des'ing. Another SWO refugee started VT-10 right after me and said his CO/XO gave him endless shit about it and held up his package as much as they legally could. Your CO doesn't have to like it, but they're obliged to endorse it and send it on...they just don't have to do it quickly, or give you a positive endorsement.

It also depends on how well-stocked your YG is in aviation. Lat transfers are one way communities fill in their shortfalls; unfortunately, it's not really a "hey, this guy seems like he'd be a great aviator, let's take him." If they've got all the jg's-over-2 they need in Aviation, you may be SOL...as with everything else in the Nav, timing is everything.

But that's out of your control. Do the best you can with the things you can control. You're about to get pinned, which is step 1. Do really well on the ASTB, get your flight physical done ASAP. Your flight physical needs to be done at the big hospital with flight docs, as they test hearing in the chamber, vision, etc. It's not something your HMC can do for you. I don't know where that is for Hawaii...K-Bay?

Anyway, good luck to you. Best career move I've ever made, never even slightly regretted it for one second. The first time you're on the Boat and spend GQ playing Halo in your stateroom, you'll know you did the right thing.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Things may have changed since I did my SWO-to-NFO transition (in 2001), but it didn't require a redes/lat transfer board. It was simply a thumbs-up/-down by the head Air detailer.
How the hell did you get away with not having to submit a lateral transfer package? You and I were in the same SWOS class if I remember correctly. The SWO community would have had to have a say in your transfer on some level, even if it happened behind the scenes without your knowledge.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't speak to the SWO-> Pilot transition, but I am a YG 08 guy, and I know that around the time I service selected out of NROTC, they couldn't get enough pilots to satisfy the numbers they needed. Not sure if projections/whatnot have changed, but we have at least been spared the force shaping cuts that have plagued YG 09/10 guys/gals. Could be a good thing for you, though this is only speculation. I do know a couple 32nd st. SWOs from my peer group who have managed to make it happen FWIW.

thewheelman07

Thanks for all the info! As far as Year Group is concerned, I graduated an got my commission in Dec 2008. Does that make me a '08 or '09 YG? That's good to hear that this isn't quite a lost cause and that SWOs in past years have made the transition. It seems like the paperwork is a beast of a challenge but I think it is definitely worth it. People say that COs endorsement is pretty valuable but is it necessary or required to get other letters of recommendation from higher up people? Thanks again.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Dec 08 would be YG09. We're currently trying to cut numbers, but who knows, maybe they f'ed up and in a year YG09 will be short.

BigRed389

None
Thanks for all the info! As far as Year Group is concerned, I graduated an got my commission in Dec 2008. Does that make me a '08 or '09 YG? That's good to hear that this isn't quite a lost cause and that SWOs in past years have made the transition. It seems like the paperwork is a beast of a challenge but I think it is definitely worth it. People say that COs endorsement is pretty valuable but is it necessary or required to get other letters of recommendation from higher up people? Thanks again.

CO's endorsement is the only letter that's required.

The paperwork on your side actually isn't that bad. Read the instruction on the BUPERS website, plug your info into the instruction's format, and you're done. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How the hell did you get away with not having to submit a lateral transfer package? You and I were in the same SWOS class if I remember correctly. The SWO community would have had to have a say in your transfer on some level, even if it happened behind the scenes without your knowledge.

That was straight outta the MILPERSMAN. Did they talk about it up amongst themselves in Millington? Probably, I guess, but it was nothing I was involved in. They're more about horse-trading numbers than specific people, anyway. You're just a paygrade and yeargroup at that level, unless you've fucked up in epic fashion.

CO endorsement is good. An endorsement with a smiley-face FITREP is better. Are they breaking out divvos now? They weren't when I was one - you were all MP's and unranked, on the theory that you were all equally clueless and ranking you against each other was pointless. Anyway, whatever constitutes a competitive breakout for you, having that is good.

The paperwork's generally painless. Like BigRed said, plug in your numbers, follow all the instructions.

MrEugeneYip

I am a SWO (I know another SWO trying to earn his wings), and would like information on lateral transfer information for SWO to NFO. The information I would like to know is a point of contact for the lateral transfer process. What is the process for lateral transfer What makes a package more competitive (ASTB, Fitreps,etc...); and does having a pilots license help with your package(As I am in the process of getting)? When is the right time to apply and put in the package? What are my chances of getting selected? Any additional information or help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a NAVADMIN message that comes out annually with all the details, and reference any applicable instructions. You can find it on the NPC site or in your message traffic.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
To add off Brett, head on over to the BUPERS website and there's everything you need to know on Lat Transfer, including which year groups can apply.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I redesed, there was no formal board for URL-to-URL transfers, only going from RL to URL or vice-versa.

Intra-URL was handled between the relevant PERS shops, in what I surmise was a "we've got a YG99 O-2 who wants to go be an NFO; we're understocked in YG99, can you afford to lose one of those?" conversation. And somebody in Pers-41 said yes. And then it was run up to Pers-43 Actual for approval and he approved.

Willy W

Man wish it was still like that instead of having to wait for these twice a year boards where only 1 or 2 personnel get selected :(

Triumph_MAC

When I redesed, there was no formal board for URL-to-URL transfers, only going from RL to URL or vice-versa.

Intra-URL was handled between the relevant PERS shops, in what I surmise was a "we've got a YG99 O-2 who wants to go be an NFO; we're understocked in YG99, can you afford to lose one of those?" conversation. And somebody in Pers-41 said yes. And then it was run up to Pers-43 Actual for approval and he approved.

Was you still under the age cutoff at the time you did the lateral transfer from SWO to NFO? I am curious if there has been instances where guys have took any job they qualified for and then did a LAT transfer to the job they didn't qualify for at the time of their application due to age or or other reasons.... asking for a friend......;):)