• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LAST TANGO: The DEBATE -- Round 3

THE DEBATE: Round 3. Who won?

• Sen McCain

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sen Obama

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I am too drunk from playing the "My Friends" drinking game to know

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I am too drunk from playing the "Look" drinking game to know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fuck it - I've had it. Not gonna watch. I'd rather have some Pu-Pu's and a pitcher of Navy Grog.

Votes: 30 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
You guys worry too much ... I say let the good times roll.

thumbsupgw6.jpg

Who's this Helmet that kind of looks like Adam Carolla??

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Other numbers I can't find in the Obama tax plan: 10%, $100,000, 43%, 57%, $30,000... again, am I missing something?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Other numbers I can't find in the Obama tax plan: 10%, $100,000, 43%, 57%, $30,000... again, am I missing something?

You broke the code. Those are the numbers they do not want you to see, and if you do not know them, well I am not sure what to say about that.

A key, very key, is something called the "Bush tax cut" that the Dems will not extend, again, read the plan, carefully. Lot of rhetoric, but you need to look at all the numbers, esp the underlying numbers.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You broke the code. Those are the numbers they do not want you to see, and if you do not know them, well I am not sure what to say about that.

A key, very key, is something called the "Bush tax cut" that the Dems will not extend, again, read the plan, carefully. Lot of rhetoric, but you need to look at all the numbers, esp the underlying numbers.

Chief,

I'm not entirely sure your numbers are spot-on. But, I could be wrong.

America's 112 million families had combined wealth of $50.3 trillion in 2004. When those families are ranked by the size of their wealth, however, the top 1% alone held $16.8 trillion in wealth, more than a third of the United States' total wealth and more than the $15.3 trillion held by 90% of U.S. families. The top 1% had average wealth of $15 million per family in contrast to the $22,800 average wealth of the least wealthy 50% of families or the $313,500 in wealth for families ranked between 50% and 90%.

http://www.epi.org/content.cfm/webfeatures_snapshots_20060517

The distribution of wealth in our country is far, far different than the percentile-income correlations you threw out there, I think.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... far different than the percentile-income correlations you threw out there, I think.

Falacy of composition, think my friend that study logic would say.

I was talking about income (and income taxes) and you were talking about wealth. Two entirely different things.

If you do have numbers relating to income and income taxes, that are significantly different, would love to see them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you read Sen. Obama's tax plan you find that it raises taxes on folks making $60,000 and above. I know that on the stump he sez differently, but read the plan.......But up close and personal, I was paying almost 16% of gross income in FICA, and since payments are means tested, would never get any of it back. The 16% is on gross, then I payed 42% (federal+state+local). Final numbers came out to be just over 61% of income to taxes. Sooooo I just quit work, enjoy the good life!!

Please show something to back you up.

And I don't know who your accountant is, but you might need to fire him. In total I pay between 30-40% of my gross in taxes as a civil servant, depending on how much I make.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Please show something to back you up.

And I don't know who your accountant is, but you might need to fire him. In total I pay between 30-40% of my gross in taxes as a civil servant, depending on how much I make.

The Chief lives in Maryland......
That's a big reason he's getting boned....
you really think you're not going to have a tax hike under Prez Obama, Flash?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... depending on how much I make.

Thanks for offer to help.:icon_smil

Here are numbers:

1. Income
A. Retired Fed ES-4 with 42 years service and couple thou unused sick leave, about 83% of salary.

B. Social Security of which they already take over half. And tax me on the remainder.

C. Deceased spouse API retirement.

D. Delayed comp (retirement plan) from consulting firm.

E. Rental income/real estate transaction etc.

F. Mandatory withdrawal of TSP and 401-K.

2. Outgo:

A. Marginal Fed rate 33%
B. Maryland Income Tax plus Montgomery county 7.2 (think)
C. Florida Intangible assets Tax
Total for all at marginal rate is 42-43%

3. Was working as independent consultant. Social security (FICA)for self-employed is about 16%, right off the top, no deductions, not relief at all. Then I paid income tax not only on the remainder but on the 16% that the took from me as I walked out the door..

Any advice appreciated, sir!

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yea, those partisan numbers!

It was more a comment on your choice of sources. And besides, those numbers, as noted by the Chief, are irrelevant, unless you'd like to start a discussion on whether or not the wealthy should be taxed more for having more money.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Your numbers that you pulled out of your ass are FAR INFERIOR to my numbers that I pulled out of my ass!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for offer to help.:icon_smil

Here are numbers:

1. Income
A. Retired......
B. Social Security.....

2. Outgo:
B. Maryland Income Tax plus Montgomery county 7.2 (think)
C. Florida Intangible assets Tax

3. Was working as independent consultant.

Any advice appreciated, sir!

Well, when you are getting retirement income, Social Security and still consult it all adds up I guess. But one thing to note, the 16% FICA does not affect all of your income, am I right? So your total tax burden would have been less than 61%, the total depends on how good of a consultant you were.

My advice is to move to Florida, you already pay taxes there. Why by the way?

The Chief lives in Maryland......
That's a big reason he's getting boned....
you really think you're not going to have a tax hike under Prez Obama, Flash?

I know what state he lives in, and their tax rates are very similar to what you and I pay.

I don't make that much, neither do you judging from hood you live in. ;)