• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last Pensacola OCS Class begins

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Article said:
Their first taste of Naval aviation will no longer be the Aviation Museum or seeing the F-18 in front of Building 633 as they check into OCS.
Nope. It'll be of the Forestall and Ranger moored to the pier while they try to avoid the goose shit on the sidewalks in front of King Hall. Having been part of the first Boost class in Newport after it moved from San Dog and what a CF that was, I wonder what it will be like for this OCS transition.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
SWOs probably moved it because all the OCS grads at SWS talked about how cool the museum was and that maybe they should have gone into the aviation pipelines.
What is SWS?

E2Cougar

NFO
None
I thought the first OCS class in RI was Aug 18th? Where is Sept 21 coming from?

Classes will be concurrently held in Newport and Pensacola. The first class reports to RI on August 18, but the last class in Pensacola graduates September 21.

Wingnut

Kill your television
In a way, I'm not sure which is harder to believe, that a year ago I was in the thick of OCS as a candidate, or that the last class ever to graduate from P'cola OCS (barring it being moved back) is now on deck.

"Lt. Kirk Sowers, OCS class officer, said for graduates the school will always conjure images of Pensacola.
He said, "It's the ambience of candidates marching from place to place in poopy suits, chrome domes and web belts. It's the echo of the Marine Corps class drill instructors giving orders to their classes as they make their way to chow hall. Part of Pensacola NAS history is seeing the new graduating class lined up on the parade field on an early Friday morning, in their full dress whites, getting ready for their final dismissal by their class drill instructor.""

I think that sums up my thoughts pretty well. I'm glad I got to be part of the Pensacola OCS tradition, and it's hard to imagine the OCS grounds permanently emptied of candidates. Officer Training Command Pensacola may soon be a thing of the past, but it's legacy will live on in thousands of current and retired officers who passed through its doors.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
RetreadRand said:
SWOs probably moved it because all the OCS grads at SWS talked about how cool the museum was and that maybe they should have gone into the aviation pipelines.

I didn't realize there was aviation stuff at that museum until the second time I was there... we were all more interested in going to the restaurant/bar.

GSEtaking-off

SNA
pilot
Although breaking the tradition does suck, moving OCS to Newport does make sense. It is where all the other Officer schools are, Boost, NSI, NAPS, and those schools for dentists, doctors, and chaplains, who get to come in as O3s and O4s.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Man...whenever i saw those OCS guys around base, i felt like i was watching history in the making/flashbacks of Officer and a Gentleman. its sad to think theyre moving up to RI.

I actually bought the 25th Anniversary DVD for Officer and a Gentleman. Not bad. Just a bunch of special features like Louis Gossett going back to Port Townsend and a bunch of interviews of newly commissioned Ensigns and their spouses. But i did think it was a bit gay that no aviation-bound OCS grads were interviewed. Not to bash our black shoes and bubbleheads :)

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Man...whenever i saw those OCS guys around base, i felt like i was watching history in the making/flashbacks of Officer and a Gentleman. its sad to think theyre moving up to RI.

I actually bought the 25th Anniversary DVD for Officer and a Gentleman. Not bad. Just a bunch of special features like Louis Gossett going back to Port Townsend and a bunch of interviews of newly commissioned Ensigns and their spouses. But i did think it was a bit gay that no aviation-bound OCS grads were interviewed. Not to bash our black shoes and bubbleheads :)

If you can get your hands on the overseas version there is a whole mini-documentary on OCS today. It featured my class as well as 2 or 3 others that were there in the fall. The movie folks were onboard for a week and shot all sorts of stuff. Its pretty good if you can get it.