• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last minute cramming advice

asmec47

Does anyone know of a grading rubric for a practice test? I'm not sure how to translate my practice scores into a would-be score

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Does anyone know of a grading rubric for a practice test? I'm not sure how to translate my practice scores into a would-be score

You are compared to how well you did vs X number of people who took the test before you. The rubric is constantly changing- and big Navy probably doesn't release that info. Strive for 100%

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
^^ I wouldn't worry too much about grading your practice tests, since you're not gonna be able to translate it into a real-world score that can accurately predict your performance. Just look at which sections need improvement and tailor your studying to your weaker areas.
When I got the Barron's, before I even started to study, I took the first practice ASTB to see what I needed to work on (Mechanical and Nautical Info). Then I studied for about a week or so, focusing on those weak spots, and then I took the second practice test.

Main advice: make sure to read all the answers before selecting one. If there's a question that you can't figure out right away, mark it and move on; you can come back to it later. The test emphasizes completing the sections as fast as you can without losing accuracy, so if it takes you more than a few seconds to figure something out, leave it for last.
Best of luck tomorrow!

exNavyOffRec

You are compared to how well you did vs X number of people who took the test before you. The rubric is constantly changing- and big Navy probably doesn't release that info. Strive for 100%

Actually that is a rumor that has been spread for a while, that is not correct, your score is strictly based on how you have done, if you were to take the test 5 years ago and take the same version tomorrow with every answer being the same your score would be the same.

This is why test scores are good for life and they don't expire, if the scores were based on the people before you the scores would have to expire after a certain amount of time to prevent and unfair advantage.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Actually that is a rumor that has been spread for a while, that is not correct, your score is strictly based on how you have done, if you were to take the test 5 years ago and take the same version tomorrow with every answer being the same your score would be the same.

This is why test scores are good for life and they don't expire, if the scores were based on the people before you the scores would have to expire after a certain amount of time to prevent and unfair advantage.

Huh. Wow. So getting a 9 doesn't necessarily mean you scored in the top 4%, it means you only missed X questions? So why present the grades on a stanine scale?

exNavyOffRec

Huh. Wow. So getting a 9 doesn't necessarily mean you scored in the top 4%, it means you only missed X questions? So why present the grades on a stanine scale?

I am not sure why they use that method unless it is due to ease or because the previous one used it? but any score can be converted to that scale.

Over the years I have seen many test scores, I have only seen one person with "1's" and a handful with "2's and 3's", some "4's and 5's", probably about 50% "6's and 7's", and about a third of the people I saw tested rec'd "8's and 9's"

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I am not sure why they use that method unless it is due to ease or because the previous one used it? but any score can be converted to that scale.

Over the years I have seen many test scores, I have only seen one person with "1's" and a handful with "2's and 3's", some "4's and 5's", probably about 50% "6's and 7's", and about a third of the people I saw tested rec'd "8's and 9's"

Okay. That makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
Swanee said it, if you're not ready, don't take it.

Tonight, avoid cramming and get good rest. If you want last minute practice today, do a couple of practice tests timed in a quiet space with no distractions. Try to simulate your test environment. Turn your phone off. Analyze what you missed and why. Repeat.

Side question, does the new ASTB incorporate the 'experimental' multi-tasking test? If you don't know what I'm talking about, after API, we were asked to take this test where we sat in front of a computer with a throttle and stick with various buttons on each. You wore headphones that streamed two different sets of info in the left and right channels. You had to respond with control inputs based on whether the screen told you to respond to the left or right channel info. Pretty much testing your ability to focus on one thing with tons of other stuff going on...

Screen: "Respond to the left channel"
Left channel: "Turn left 270, descend maintain 2000, until established on the localizer"
Right channel: "Turn right 040, descend maintain 6000, contact approach 125.4"

exNavyOffRec

Swanee said it, if you're not ready, don't take it.

Tonight, avoid cramming and get good rest. If you want last minute practice today, do a couple of practice tests timed in a quiet space with no distractions. Try to simulate your test environment. Turn your phone off. Analyze what you missed and why. Repeat.

Side question, does the new ASTB incorporate the 'experimental' multi-tasking test? If you don't know what I'm talking about, after API, we were asked to take this test where we sat in front of a computer with a throttle and stick with various buttons on each. You wore headphones that streamed two different sets of info in the left and right channels. You had to respond with control inputs based on whether the screen told you to respond to the left or right channel info. Pretty much testing your ability to focus on one thing with tons of other stuff going on...

Screen: "Respond to the left channel"
Left channel: "Turn left 270, descend maintain 2000, until established on the localizer"
Right channel: "Turn right 040, descend maintain 6000, contact approach 125.4"

The new ASTB is still waiting for the "go", the hangup is some windows issue, once it is resolved it will start, I have been told all of the NRD's have what is needed, so a person could be studying and gettting info on the current versions, then show up to take the test and it could be the new one.

KBayDog

The new ASTB is still waiting for the "go", the hangup is some windows issue, once it is resolved it will start, I have been told all of the NRD's have what is needed, so a person could be studying and gettting info on the current versions, then show up to take the test and it could be the new one.

"The Post That Spawned a Thousand Posts."

exNavyOffRec

of course he does, with the new goaling it doesn't matter if you get selected or not it is all about you submitting the application.

I have had people submit with a 6 before, but there was no time to retake, I told them submit, if you get picked up great, if not then retake and that gives you a reason to submit earlier than 6 months, now not a single person I submitted with a 6 was ever picked up.

One other thing, what is your GPA and degree?

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
It's an aptitude test. If you aren't ready, a few more days isn't going to prepare you. I only had about a week to prepare before I had to go in, and I did fine. If you don't feel prepared after a few weeks, ain't nothing gonna fix that.

I can't agree with this 100%... I went from doing stochastic time-series homework in MATLAB to retraining my brain to quickly work through basic algebra. I probably wouldn't have done so well on the ASTB without a few weeks of solid practice.

I still go into full-retard mode when I calculate wt+bal without a calculator.

exNavyOffRec

well, going with what I have seen I would have you study and retake, if you don't and the next actual board is Feb 2013 and are not picked up then you are waiting for April 2013.