• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last F-14A's Are Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=75340&ran=160631

tomcatbig.jpg

By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
© September 9, 2004

VIRGINIA BEACH — The last five of the Navy’s oldest F-14 Tomcats will head to the “bone yard” Sunday, retiring to the dry desert floor of Arizona to join thousands of other aging war birds.

About 80 younger models of the F-14 remain at Oceana Naval Air Station, but all will be gone by about August 2006, replaced by F/A-18 Hornets and Super Hornets.

The “thirtysomething” A-model F-14 jets from the Checkmates of Fighter Squadron 211 will mark the beginning of the end of the Tomcat family, which totaled 632 aircraft during the past 32 years.

Cmdr. C.J. Deni, the squadron’s skipper, will lead the last flight to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, near Tucson, where the jets will be available for wartime recall.

“We are the last true fighter squadron in the Navy,” Deni said Wednesday as his five Tomcats showed off in a formation fly-by over Oceana. “There no longer will be any more fighter squadrons. They will be multi-mission strike fighters from now on.”

Developed as a premier fighter for strictly an air-to-air mission to protect the carrier battle group, later versions of the F-14, known as B, C and D models, evolved in the early 1990’s to carry air-to-ground munitions. By the mid-1990’s, precision-guided weapons were added and the aircraft took on more of a strike mission, Deni said.

However, the A-models remained a fighter. They were never given the global positioning system (GPS) weapons the younger models had, which better supported the battlefield commanders.

Deni’s squadron, which retired its five other planes earlier, will now begin learning to fly and maintain the F/A-18 F Super Hornet.

The entire squadron of about 250 air crews and maintenance personnel will begin leaving in October for Lemoore Naval Air Station, 40 miles south of Fresno, Calif., for six months of training. Their 12 two-seat models are already waiting for them on the flight line, Deni said.

When they return with the planes in late March, or early April, they will be known as the Checkmates of Strike/Fighter Squadron 211.

While the younger Tomcat models still have plenty of life in them, Deni said they have become too costly to operate. In the last few months it required between 65 to 80 man hours of maintenance to keep an F-14 flying for just one hour. By comparison, the Super Hornet requires between 10 and 15 hours of maintenance for every hour of flight, he said.

Senior Chief Petty Officer Vaughn Ransom has been taking care of the F-14s since 1982, working on probably 75 different planes over the years.

He has hand-picked their maintenance crews and pulled solutions to vexing problems “out of our heads,” not computers. But he seems ready to let them go and join the Super Hornet community.

An engine change can take 16 to 18 hours on an F-14 if all goes well, he said. The Super Hornet’s engines can be replaced in less than two hours.

Trouble shooting isn’t by guess work. It’s simply a plug-in to a computer to find the cause.

Yet, for Lt. Cmdr. Mark Sullivan, the squadron’s former maintenance officer, flying his plane into retirement will be a sad day.

“We’ve always called the Tomcat the big sexy fighter,” Sullivan said. “I’m going to miss manning up that aircraft and watching that sight behind the boat. There is nothing more challenging than flying the F-14 on an aircraft carrier.

“They call it 'the turkey’ because that’s kind of what it looks like when it comes into land. It’s ungainly. It’s big. It’s tough. It’s predictable.”

The Tomcat was never the most forgiving plane to a pilot who tried to push it farther than it was intended, Sullivan said. The Super Hornet, while slower, won’t allow a pilot to abuse it in the same way.

The Super Hornets are easier to fly than the Tomcats, Sullivan said.

“And they should be,” he said. “They are safer to fly, but I will miss a little bit of the challenges. I had a plane that was pretty much as smart as I was.

“If I am doing something wrong, the Super Hornet will not let you put yourself in extremes. It’s a little smarter than me.”

Sullivan has put more than 2,000 flight hours and 13 years in the Tomcat and insisted on taking his plane on the last flight.

“I’d rather take it to the bone yard than the scrap yard, where is would be torn apart,” he said. “At least there they will be ready to fight again on the front line if we need them.”

Oceana is expected to acquire a total of 120 F/A-18 single-seat E and twin-seat F Super Hornets.

It has 145 F/A-18 single-seat C Hornets now.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was lucky enough to get an hour in the backseat of one of those as a mid, I found out online the other day it's now headed to be recycled. Sad day. :(

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Their time has come...and gone. The F/A-18F is a formidable replacement.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
It's sad in way because we all of us grew up with the F-14 as the symbol of Naval Aviation, but it would be more sad to fly it past it's prime and let it become a joke.

Here's to the F-14! Hip-Hip...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone made a great point on another forum...

Everyone is sad and misty eyed that the F-14 is departing the service... that's the greatest honor for the aircraft. Proves that it served us well and protected us.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Poor visibility? Where you getting that from? He was flying form on the damn thing.

Balls? If you call ultimate stupidity balls...

I bet that was the first air victory for a EP-3 though...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Poor visibility? Where you getting that from? He was flying form on the damn thing.

Balls? If you call ultimate stupidity balls...

I bet that was the first air victory for a EP-3 though...

yeah yous guys keep saying "p-3" took out the chinese guy. tell an ep-3 guy he flies p-3s and watch his head spin 360.

actually, say the same thing to me, and my head spins too, but then I puke at the thought.

I KEED I KEED, i love those ep-3 guys...they are reelee great...

(Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog now available on DVD)

uh...back to the thread...F-14...I saw one once...(thread re-railed)

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Patmack18 said:
Well from what I know... the Super is more a/c than the Tomcat ever could have been... it just dosen't look so DAMN COOL. Those big inlets, swept wings.

Nothing will ever be a scarey as the venerable P-3 though right Zab? Just ask the Chinese!

I say give it time... and maybe a kicka$$ movie where a F-18 pilot grabs all the booty, is shown to be a loose cannon that flies better than anybody else in the world.

Seriously though, I think she's a beautiful platform. She just needs to mature.

As far as the P-3 "victory"... holy $hit would that have been fuking scary. I commend those guys for getting her down in "one" piece.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
yeah yous guys keep saying "p-3" took out the chinese guy. tell an ep-3 guy he flies p-3s and watch his head spin 360.

actually, say the same thing to me, and my head spins too, but then I puke at the thought.

See, I know where it's at.

Jakapr

It is hard to imagine that the Tomcat is being retired. I thought it was bad when the Phantom left.

When we got back from our 73 cruise (VF-32), we sent our F-4B Phantoms to the west coast, and a few months later we were out there (N.A.S. Miramar) to train on the Tomcats. We were the first squadron on the east coast to get the Tomcats. VF-1 and VF-2 were the first on the West coast.

I still remember the first flight at N.A.S. Oceana. LtCdr. Andrews was the pilot and he did a high performance takeoff with every Phantom squadron on base watching.

The 75 cruise we had war games with German Phantoms, British Jaguars and French Mirages. Not one plane got through to the Carrier, and we never had a Tomcat shot down in the dogfights.

I hear alot of guys talking about the long maintenance hours on the Tomcats, and all I can say was it was easy compaired to working on the Phantoms. But at that time we had the oldest Phantoms in the Navy, then the newest Tomcats in the Navy. I was an AE2.

Its really hard to believe it has been that long ago.

I still email back and forth with a few guys from the shop and we set up a site with our cruise pictures.

Jack
X Phantom Phixer and X Tomcat Tweaker

http://www.geocities.com/vf32ae2too

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Patmack18 said:
Don't tell that to any P-3 guys. I've yet to find a P-3 pilot that dosen't think he should have ditched that airplane. I've also heard things along the line of "he set us back 10 years in intel" by not ditching it.

That being said, none of them/us were in the cockpit at the time.

Could of, would of, should of. You're right, they were not in the cockpit and are doing nothing but armchair quarterbacking.

Back on topic, there is absolutely nothing more spectacular than a high speed fly-by by a Tomcat. I also remember in 99 being on the LSO platform in the Gulf. It got up to 140 degrees on the flight deck during the day and the only thing that made it worse was an F-14D in full burner. **** that was hot. It felt like our skin was melting off. Gotta love it :D

Jakapr

Vf-32

El Cid,
I made 2 cruises with VF-32. First was in 73 with our F-4B'S, the second was in 75 with our new F-14A's. We were on the Kennedy both cruises. Our sister squadron was VF-14.

They already switched to the Super Hornets a few years ago and VF-32 is switching next year.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.