• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last Chance at Going Back!! Need 300 PFT

SMARTI

Hi,

Here's my story:

I am a prior Marine 0311. I left back in '97 because I wanted to give civilian life a fair shake, and because I wanted to finish my degree. Having done that I now want to return to the Corps. Here is the clincher. I am now 32, 5'6" weighing 210 pounds of both fat and muscle. I have approached the OSO and he is telling me very clearly that in order to offset my 3 waivers that I might need (age, tattoos, and dependents) I need to have between a 295 - 300 PFT score. :eek:

Mind you that when I was in 1st LAR in the best shape of my life I was at a 290, but this was not as a result of trying too hard to get a personal best. However, the older me now is a different story.

I need to know if at my age this score is possible to get or not. I am going nuts because I want this so bad it hurts. If anyone has any suggestions, or PT plans that focus on building speed I have open ears for anything you may have to say.

Thanks!

Semper Fi!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SMARTI said:
I need to know if at my age this score [295-300] is possible to get or not. I am going nuts because I want this so bad it hurts. If anyone has any suggestions, or PT plans that focus on building speed I have open ears for anything you may have to say.
Well, I think it's up to you whether it's possible or not. I recommend doing a search on Google for "physical training plans" or close to it, and then customize them into a plan for you that suits your needs, lifestyle and pace of training.

SMARTI

Steve Wilkins said:
Well, I think it's up to you whether it's possible or not. I recommend doing a search on Google for "physical training plans" or close to it, and then customize them into a plan for you that suits your needs, lifestyle and pace of training.

Yes, you're right. I just have to give the 150% I always do and let the chips fall as they may.

Thanks

SMARTI

Thanks Bubba, I will begin to work on it. The good thing is that I have until the board meets for the Oct 2006 class.

Semper FI

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
do you get the old man discount for your PFT score? isnt it at like age 29 + your max run time for 100 pts is significantly less etc? thats what my OSA told me at least when we were talking about him doin a PFT

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
USMC_Candidate said:
do you get the old man discount for your PFT score? isnt it at like age 29 + your max run time for 100 pts is significantly less etc? thats what my OSA told me at least when we were talking about him doin a PFT

No.

Crowbar

None
esday1 said:

Thanks for the explanation.

The senior citizens' discount (which doesn't apply at OCS) amounts to the first class threshold dropping to 200 points. You also get an extra minute to finish the run. The run time/run score is still the same, but you are allowed to get fewer points/slower run time to pass. That applies when you turn 27. There are other standards once you hit 40 and 46.
Again, this does NOT apply at OCS.

Sabre170

None
Smarti,

I was in the same situation, only a year younger. I talked to the Marine Corps and Navy at the same time. When it came down to "proving"to the OSO that I could score a 295 or better (even with the scoring scale for older guys), I was not going to get it any time soon... without hurting myself trying. The Navy accepted my package and OCS was a joke. I would love to be a Marine Officer, but let me tell you what... I am extremely grateful the Navy let me in... At least I can hang out with Marines:icon_mi_1 .

The Navy is not that bad, regardless of all the brainwashing I had at MCRD, especially when it comes to the PFT, the 1.5 mile run is nothing and the pushups and situps don't take long to improve.

Semper Fi! and Blue Skies,

theduke

Armstrong pull-up workout
also: weighted pull-ups (start with 5-10 lbs, work up to a 45 lb plate or so)

i can't seem to break 20:00 on the run, so i won't give advice there.

and of course, if you don't max the crunches, you just aren't doing them right.

and WHATEVER happens, put that contract in. worst they can say is "no", and being prior enlisted isn't gonna hurt your cause.

SMARTI

How badly do you want it?

If it depended on how much I wanted it I wouldn't be worried; however, seeing how I've learned that "as you get older things get tougher" due to personal experience, then that's what has me stressed out.

I also recently got turned down for NCIS because they had more qualified applicants, and believe me I wanted that badly, and that rejection did not feel good.

In addition to that, my wife is also applying to the PLC program and the OSO admits that she has a better chance at getting accepted because she is a woman (and will be 32 upon commissioning). Great for her, and I'm very happy, but that's still sucks for me. I have to admit that being the spouse of a Marine is not exactly the title I am striving for! Although the bright side of it will be all those baby showers I would be invited to!:eek:

In all seriousness, I know that the chips are all stacked against me, and as a Marine I know that that's how I want it for victory to taste that much sweeter, but I am allowed to stress a little,- no?

Has anyone read the article on how to improve your running time that I posted above? Let me know if anyone has had any success.

My current situation is as follows:
I have been stomping the dirt for about two weeks with some serious runs. I have yet to try a PFT 3 miler because I don't think that at a PFT pace I would make it...yet. I have also been lifting, which has had the effect of some noticable muscle toning here and there. Still weighing 210 at my 5'6" frame so I have about 40 lbs. to lose by March (very do-able in my opinion since I lost 10 in two weeks already). Well let's see what the next two weeks brings.

Thanks for all the posts everyone! Very appreciated!

~RIP SSgt. Jorge Molinabautista, a great Marine out of my old unit 1st L.A.R., who I found out recently was killed in Iraq over a year ago. I'll miss you brother.

sector

Smarti,

Don't worry, when I started working out on June 26th I was 5'10" 234 lbs. I couldn't complete the 3-miler and and could only do 1 pull up. This morning I weighed in at 206 lbs, ran the 3 mile in 27.00 and did 10 pull-ups.
I was able to make it this far simply by changing my eating habits and hitting the PT like it was my job.
I still have a long way to go but I'm not going to give up. You can do it.