• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lasik Thread

codys995

Hey all,

I've seen various posts regarding lasik but I figured it might not be a bad idea to create a lasik thread for all things lasik. I primarily wanted to walk people through my lasik experience, my recruitment process thus far, and future steps.

I applied SNA last year, completed my entire package, went off to MEPs for my finals medical tests, and got the ol depth perception whammy. I had never failed a depth perception test before so this came as a shock to me. I went back to a private doc who informed me that the astigmatism in my right eye could be an attributing factor and that lasik was an option for correction. Seeing that I want to give myself the best fighting chance at passing this test, I got lasik back in early March. I consulted with my recruiter before the procedure and he told me that I have to wait 6 months after lasik before MEPs will see me again. I'm about halfway through my waiting period and my eyes are feeling great - I've taken multiple depth perception test since then and have passed them all; I know the test at MEPs is vastly different (which might be an attributing factor), but I'm confident nonetheless.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding the procedure and how it correlates with the recruitment process please feel free to ask and I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Hope you pass the MEPs depth perception test on round two. Goodluck. Either way, be thankful you were able to do LASIK and not PRK. When I joined in 09, PRK was the only thing allowed. In terms of what the laser does to your eye, it's the same, however, the way they prep the cornea for surgery is very different (LASIK=flap, PRK=scrape that shit off with a little tiny spatula).

I'm still 20/20 ten years on, but PRK hurt like a bitch!

Goodluck, let us know how it turns out!

willymo06

I'm going to need LASIK or PRK to apply SNA and was curious if there is any paperwork/info I needed before setting up an appointment on my own. I've been trying to get in contact with the local officer recruiter (Boston) to get info on this but have had zero luck so far. I am really trying to get this process going ASAP as I know there is a 6 month wait period after these procedures before I can go to MEPS and I would like to have my application finished by next summer.

Any info on this would be great, thanks!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm going to need LASIK or PRK to apply SNA and was curious if there is any paperwork/info I needed before setting up an appointment on my own. I've been trying to get in contact with the local officer recruiter (Boston) to get info on this but have had zero luck so far. I am really trying to get this process going ASAP as I know there is a 6 month wait period after these procedures before I can go to MEPS and I would like to have my application finished by next summer.

Any info on this would be great, thanks!
Before you swear in you can do whatever you want. Your recruiter isn't going to file any paperwork until you sign the application process. My suggestion is that you start the application ~3 months post-op; by the time it takes to get everything together, you'll be ready to have that 6 month appointment and get cleared.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hope you pass the MEPs depth perception test on round two. Goodluck. Either way, be thankful you were able to do LASIK and not PRK. When I joined in 09, PRK was the only thing allowed. In terms of what the laser does to your eye, it's the same, however, the way they prep the cornea for surgery is very different (LASIK=flap, PRK=scrape that shit off with a little tiny spatula).

I'm still 20/20 ten years on, but PRK hurt like a bitch!

Goodluck, let us know how it turns out!
My surgeon convinced me to go epi-lasik (which is PRK but they take the cornea off with a laser). He claimed it was going to be mildly uncomfortable for a couple of days. That was an understatement. I shudder to think what PRK felt like.

willymo06

Before you swear in you can do whatever you want. Your recruiter isn't going to file any paperwork until you sign the application process. My suggestion is that you start the application ~3 months post-op; by the time it takes to get everything together, you'll be ready to have that 6 month appointment and get cleared.

Hey Spekkio thanks for the response I appreciate it. Just to clarify, if I just go and get my LASIK/PRK taken care of before getting in contact with a recruiter I'm not going to miss any required paperwork/info from the Navy that I would have to give to the surgeon?

Sounds like this is what you're saying but just want to be sure. Sorry if this was a stupid question I just want to make sure I am doing this right and don't mess up my chances especially after dropping a couple grand.

Thanks again

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You need to ask your recruiter what the acceptable procedures are. Spekkio is neither an aviator not a recruiter. What is okay for others is not necessarily okay for aviation.

exNavyOffRec

Ok thanks. I'll keep trying to get in contact with my recruiter then, hopefully I get a response soon lol

Majority of the aviation candidates I put in, or candidates in general that had vision correction surgery had LASIK, once you have your 6 month checkup then you submit all the documents to get cleared.

except for the MEPS physical a person can put an application together in a few days, and you can't go to MEPS until 6 months after surgery so in most cases a recruiter will just tell you to come back after your 6 month checkup, he really cannot do anything with you before that point.

If your eye sight is really bad you may want to make sure you are not outside of the pre-surgery vision guidelines.

willymo06

Majority of the aviation candidates I put in, or candidates in general that had vision correction surgery had LASIK, once you have your 6 month checkup then you submit all the documents to get cleared.

except for the MEPS physical a person can put an application together in a few days, and you can't go to MEPS until 6 months after surgery so in most cases a recruiter will just tell you to come back after your 6 month checkup, he really cannot do anything with you before that point.

If your eye sight is really bad you may want to make sure you are not outside of the pre-surgery vision guidelines.

Sorry, just seeing this reply.

My eyes really are not that bad, I used to be 20/20. Last time I had an exam was two years ago and I was 20/40 in my left eye and 20/70 in the right so I do not think I would have any trouble meeting the pre-operation guidelines.

Thank you for the response! I should be getting a LASIK assessment within the next couple of weeks

exNavyOffRec

Sorry, just seeing this reply.

My eyes really are not that bad, I used to be 20/20. Last time I had an exam was two years ago and I was 20/40 in my left eye and 20/70 in the right so I do not think I would have any trouble meeting the pre-operation guidelines.

Thank you for the response! I should be getting a LASIK assessment within the next couple of weeks

go for LASIK, I did it and it was a breeze.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
LASIK is awesome from someone who had contacts for 8 years and glasses for longer. Recovery time was easy enough, and being able to just "see" is such an incredible sensation.

KristenQT

Some people do not qualify for LASIK if they have thin corneas. So go in with an open mind and educate yourself about both procedures. I had PRK and I had zero pain and was driving and back to work in 2 days. Completely 20/20 clear vision in 1 week. The technology for both is amazing. But everyone is different. You will not regret getting it done and not having to put contacts or glasses in. It’s life changing and well worth the investment.

exNavyOffRec

Some people do not qualify for LASIK if they have thin corneas. So go in with an open mind and educate yourself about both procedures. I had PRK and I had zero pain and was driving and back to work in 2 days. Completely 20/20 clear vision in 1 week. The technology for both is amazing. But everyone is different. You will not regret getting it done and not having to put contacts or glasses in. It’s life changing and well worth the investment.

It has been several years since my surgery and after I did mine it became much more popular, we had many in my department get the surgery, after a bunch went through PRK no one wanted to get PRK as everyone complained about the pain, I bet you have a high pain tolerance :D and it is amazing, the doc that did mine had at the time did over 1000 sets of eyes and only had to redo 1 eye, it corrected to like 20/40 or 20/30 vice 20/20

Brand0034

Looking for insight on Lasik while currently applied to the 27Jan20 board. So I passed 20/20 at MEPS but the guy told me I probably need glasses as I really struggled on the individual eye machine that moves to your eye. I intend to see an optometrist to see what my vision tests, but what is the best/logical choice?
If my vision is worse than 20/20 should I get lasik before OCS if i get prorec'd? Or should I chance it and plan on getting the minimum of 20/40 and OCS just issues me glasses? I've heard the 6 month wait could be reduced to 3 months is that true? I'm more worried about the time frame and if it's only 3 months I could get essentially be cleared without delaying OCS if prorec'd.