• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lasik question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRC

Does anyone know if having LASIK disqualifies you for selection? I had it done about three years ago and am still 20/20. I'm trying to get a Crypto or Intel slot.

klray77

I believe it is only disqualifying for aviation slots. One of our Navy LT advisors here has had LASIK and he is in the SWO community. The Navy actually gave it to him so apparently it's ok with them. For crypto or intel I wouldn't think you should have any problems. You can always see if there is any info at www.bumed.navy.mil

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best route is PRK...It keeps all your options open (Which includes LASEK not LASIK).
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Pitz

FighterPilotManual.com
If you want to fly, PRK is your only option.

NOMI is still evaluating LASIK because they have a problem with the flap. Their concers are concentrated during ejection and survival situations when the flap may become dislodged.

There is currently no evidence that LASIK will ever be approved.

Never get eye surgery until you are ready to join the navy. At that time talk to the navy and get their approval. The eye surgery technology is rapidly evolving and what is approved today may not be approved a few years down the road.

Talk to the navy about Crypto and Intel.

The best prepared will always prevail.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Many of the SNA's on this board underwent PRK before applying to OCS. You send in a request for a waiver along with your package, but you have to follow NAMI guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.